• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This might get you mad.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

7 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Duh!  Since when has USF Athletics been limited to sending emails only to usf.edu  addresses?

I don’t think Matt thinks that’s the only addresses that USF can email, I think his point is that’s probably the last email address the school has for many of the players. If someone hadn’t played at USF in 15 years there maybe a chance they haven’t thought to update their email address with the school in a while and if they weren’t aware of a policy change it would be nice if we could get their new contact information, maybe a pamphlet on the new club as a way to future tickets to go along with a ticket or two for old times sake since we seem to give them out to random clubs, schools, groups, first responders etc week in and week out.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,035
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Days Won:  10

It seems to me that an ex-player who wanted to make sure they stayed plugged in would have joined the Varsity Club.  They would've gotten all the information they would need for tickets and other events. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

It seems to me that an ex-player who wanted to make sure they stayed plugged in would have joined the Varsity Club.  They would've gotten all the information they would need for tickets and other events. 

This. It is the players responsibility if they want to keep up to date with USF and be informed about ticket availability. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This. It is the players responsibility if they want to keep up to date with USF and be informed about ticket availability. 

But if the last time they were there all they had to do was show up and get tickets like they had for years previous how would they know that was their new responsibility?

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But if the last time they were there all they had to do was show up and get tickets like they had for years previous how would they know that was their new responsibility?

Because the Varsity Club would have let them know of the change.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Because the Varsity Club would have let them know of the change.

Except in that circular logic they would have had to know that they had to join the Varsity Club but if previously that wasn’t a requirement for tickets there would be no reason to think you had to update your contact information to find out that you now had to join the varsity club.

All players for all sports are given the opportunity to join the Varsity Club and is well-publicized.  Matt may confirm this, but that is my understanding.  It's not just so they get informed about tickets, but to maintain the connection with the university and former teammates and other benefits.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

All players for all sports are given the opportunity to join the Varsity Club and is well-publicized.  Matt may confirm this, but that is my understanding.  It's not just so they get informed about tickets, but to maintain the connection with the university and former teammates and other benefits.

No one is denying the existence of the Varsity Club, it’s promotion or the benefits one may receive from joining. The question is what should be done for people that didn’t have any interest in the other benefits in the club, they were only interested in the free tickets so they didn’t sign up. The tickets did not previously have a Varsity Club requirement so they didn’t join and did not give any updates to their contact information. They then show up to the stadium like they have for many years and then learn of the policy change, it would probably draw in more members to alert them of the change, give them information on the club, collect their updated contact information and give them a free ticket for the game than it does to slam the door in their face and lecture them on the foresight they should have had that the policy would change at some point.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

47 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

You betchum! As a member at my school for more years than any USF football player has been on the planet..and always keep the club informed of changes in my contact information.  I’ve never missed being kept up to date on what’s going on.

The blame in this case belongs squarely on the shoulders of the player.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

It may be that they hadn't come in a while, like you suggested.  The tweet didn't indicate that he did.  If they hadn't, I'm sure it would have been a surprise.  It would also sense that the policy would have been in effect from at least the start of the season, which would suggest that this is his first game.