• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"In other words, Thanks for playing." - ESPN

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, MikeG said:

I'd like to think there are some rational UCF fans around who would not agree with the whole "we are National Champions" self declared trophy presentation--  

Yeah I work with one...good guy. He doesn't think they deserve a playoff spot this year knows if they face Bama they would get killed.

But did bring up a good point that if ND goes undefeated and got a shot at playoffs it might open up the expansion of the playoffs since some P5 conference will be kept out again.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

20 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:
3 hours ago, MikeG said:

I'd like to think there are some rational UCF fans around who would not agree with the whole "we are National Champions" self declared trophy presentation--  

Yeah I work with one...good guy. He doesn't think they deserve a playoff spot this year knows if they face Bama they would get killed.

But did bring up a good point that if ND goes undefeated and got a shot at playoffs it might open up the expansion of the playoffs since some P5 conference will be kept out again.

I do too, more than one. They had no problem with no movement in the polls after the Memphis game. But don't let them fool you too much: Talking to me, they're rational and fairly objective about their chances from here on. But talking to each other, they may as well be wearing their chuck e cheese prize:

Related image

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Screw them, they did it to themselves. They had a chance to schedule a game after they lost the UNC game but, they were afraid to play on a short week and refused to schedule a new game. Thus they will only have 11 games this year again and their schedule strength was already garbage to begin with.

It's not like they were going to be let into the playoffs anyway. At least they'd have had some sort of an argument though.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

I think the natural progression of the CFB playoff, in the current construct of college football, will be the following:

• Expansiom to 6 teams with no change to the current selection process - I think this will be done to appease the P5 conferences so they are not left out if, to Bulls on Parade's point, Notre Dame starts taking one of the four bids away from P5 conferences. This effort may be billed to provide more access to all schools, but everyone knows that the P5 will almost exclusively benefit
  • Through litigation and ultimately legislation (not dissimilar to the hearings held in 1978 by the US House of Representatives Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigation that led to the creation of Division I-A and I-AA), it expands to 8 teams with each P5 conference receiving an automatic bid, the top ranked G5 school receiving an automatic bid and 2 at-large bids selected by the committee
  • Once the NCAA (or whatever entity is ruling college sports at the time) realizes the dollars to be made I think an eventual expansion 12 teams is possible.

I think that will be the sequencing, or something akin to it, depending on if we see future consolidation and a move to super-conference, and the timeline could be stretched out well beyond my lifetime.

Awesome, I’ll make sure in my will that my grandchildren alert their grandchildren to this exciting development...God how I hate the pee 5 and Espin...

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

Look, the bottom line is that this shouldn't surprise anyone. I've always said that we shouldn't care about the rankings because as a G5 conference, we won't get into the CFP unless there are multiple 2 loss teams or more. All we need to focus on is winning our conference and beating every P5 school we play. College Football has always been about money and always will be. The AAC is a higher quality conference than the PAC 12 this year and usually better than the Big 12 and ACC, but since we don't have the cash and clout, performance is secondary. The CFP will always have "reasons" why the P5 schools get in over G5. The sooner we accept that and focus on what we can control, the happier we will be. If we continue to build our program, facilities, fan base, endowment, brand and as many conference championships as possible, we will be in a good position for P5 expansion; until then, we are where we are and let's try and dominate it. 

Edited by michibull

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,684
  • Days Won:  8

8 minutes ago, michibull said:

Look, the bottom line is that this shouldn't surprise anyone. I've always said that we shouldn't care about the rankings because as a G5 conference, we won't get into the CFP unless there are multiple 2 loss teams or more. All we need to focus on is winning our conference and beating every P5 school we play. College Football has always been about money and always will be. The AAC is a higher quality conference than the PAC 12 this year and usually better than the Big 12 and ACC, but since we don't have the cash and clout, performance is secondary. The CFP will always have "reasons" why the P5 schools get in over G5. The sooner we accept that and focus on what we can control, the happier we will be. If we continue to build our program, facilities, fan base, endowment, brand and as many conference championships as possible, we will be in a good position for P5 expansion; until then, we are where we are and let's try and dominate it. 

MAYBE some years we have better than the Big 12, but not the ACC or PAC. The American bottom is horrible, far worse than the bottom of any of the P5s. We maybe have better or equal top and middle teams but Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, and this year Uconn really hurt the American conference perception.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

19 minutes ago, michibull said:

Rankings do matter (CFP Committee) as the highest gets the NYD bowl bid from the G5. 

29 minutes ago, Gismo said:

MAYBE some years we have better than the Big 12, but not the ACC or PAC. The American bottom is horrible, far worse than the bottom of any of the P5s. We maybe have better or equal top and middle teams but Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, and this year Uconn really hurt the American conference perception.

True, I can agree with that. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,022
  • Days Won:  38

18 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Rankings do matter (CFP Committee) as the highest gets the NYD bowl bid from the G5. 

BUT the rankings are more about who can get better ratings and more cellphone ad revenue in the playoffs.  So basically the whole thing is a sham.

Oh sorry you are talking NYD bowl.  UCF won that and still gets left out.

Edited by Rocky Style

Just now, Rocky Style said:

BUT the rankings are more about who can get better ratings and more cellphone ad revenue in the playoffs.  So basically the whole thing is a sham.

This, there will always be wiggle room for teams who bring more money. Typically, the AAC champion will get the G5 bid unless there is a much better team out there. Hence, we shouldn't worry about rankings, and just focus on our conference championship and if we take care of our out of conference, everything else will fall into place.