• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shaun King as our offensive coordinator?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I like Shawn King but give me someone with OC experience first.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

This is where I'm at as well.  As much as I dislike Gilbert's play calling most of the time I cannot think it's his play calling alone that gets us stuck in the "inside run and deep shot only" offense we seem to revert to for large stretches of games.   I know CCS said that Tulsa was dropping 8 and that forced everything to be deep sideline stuff but I don't buy that.   We ran the intermediate routes with some success in the 4th quarter after ignoring them all game long.   Also, if your OC can only attack defenses who drop 8 with deep outside routes you need to find a new OC because dropping 8 shouldn't make your passing game one dimensional.  There are a ton of different clear out concepts and pick play route combos that can still attack that type of defense.   I'm starting to really think a good portion of this is on Blake either predetermining/locking onto one guy regardless of the progression or he's a bit gun shy behind the line and wants to get the ball out of his hand quickly which has meant hit the back of your drop and chuck up a 50/50 ball and hope your WR makes a play or draws the PI.  It seemed like Gilbert was in Blakes ear more than usual this past week so I'm really thinking some of this is just growing pains for a QB who is old age wise but still rather inexperienced as a starting QB and in this offense.  Hopefully Gilbert and Blake get this worked out before we get into the back loaded portion of our schedule.  

Agree with this.  

Also, don't think anyone has said it yet, but do we know for sure whether Gilbert has carte blanche authority over the offense?  CCS seems like the kind of guy who is intimately involved in every bit of strategy on all sides of the ball.  Our approach on offense, both pregame planning and in-game adjustments, probably has to go through him for approval.  

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

21 minutes ago, Supersurch said:

There's no way we are saving plays..it is mid-season.  That seems illogical and makes no sense.

I think Gilbert should be to blamed for the offensive performances as he is the leader of the offense.  Just like if your sales are down, you would put the "onus" on the manager first, then move up the chain of command.

But the problem is a full-body of work.  I believe we haven't seen more variety in play-calling is because everything starts in the trenches.  And right now those guys can't seem to get it together.  And it is the whole group.  Watching the Tulsa game, Norman and Atterbury were having major difficulties.  Although, I believe their struggles is not only their wrong-doing but also the guys next to them as well.  They, as a group, are not blocking well.  How can Gilbert possibly call a more sophisticated play than the runs up the middle with occasional WR bubble screens, and taking deep shots?

It's also a domino effect.  How can we ask Barnett not to stare down his first read when he knows somebody will be coming around the edge in a split second?  He is purely using his instincts in trying to make something happen with the number 1 receiver.  In addition, the 2nd read is not even in his break yet.  There's just not enough time for BB to go down his progressions.

And I think this was also the case last year.  But the major difference was we had a guy named Quinton Flowers.  Dynamic with his feet, 3 plus years of game experience, and a big arm (albeit not the most accurate), but just enough to keep defenses honest.

Gotta give Gilbert or whoever credit for bringing in an extra blocker.  I'd say let's work off of that philosophy instead of going down the same path, because you guys are right about one thing...we're not going to beat the teams in our bottom half of the schedule.

Agreed. However, it seems like the coaches are more concerned with the left side of the Oline.  We’ve seen Roberson get some playing time over Harris and Jennings replacing Mayes.  I don’t believe we’ve seen any personnel changes on the right side of the line.  Perhaps, we have and I missed it.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

On 10/13/2018 at 5:50 AM, Azmodi said:

If Collen Sherwin thinks it's a good idea, I'd have to think about it a lot. Face it, Sherwin is the far Left of Fandom. After his Butts in seats crap and total unyielding support for every news hack that may be able to hire him, then he derides the team for winning. I'll just pass on any of his suggestions.

He could also be the far right of Fandom

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Agreed. However, it seems like the coaches are more concerned with the left side of the Oline.  We’ve seen Roberson get some playing time over Harris and Jennings replacing Mayes.  I don’t believe we’ve seen any personnel changes on the right side of the line.  Perhaps, we have and I missed it.

Harris started the UMass game and played every snap against Tulsa.  Since they moved Jennings in at LT for Mayes, the line has been pretty much set with the exception of the third and 4th quarters against UMass because we'd gone up 41=14 in the 3rd quarter and subbed.  So I'm not sure where you see Roberson getting time over Harris, Harris has started all season.  The big thing was Jennings, because he is a true freshman.  But if you look at the second half of the Tulsa game the problem was not the left side of the line, it was actually the right.  But I don't know.... They play good when they have to.  I'm actually not concerned about it anymore.  I think they're going to be fine.  

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

32 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Harris started the UMass game and played every snap against Tulsa.  Since they moved Jennings in at LT for Mayes, the line has been pretty much set with the exception of the third and 4th quarters against UMass because we'd gone up 41=14 in the 3rd quarter and subbed.  So I'm not sure where you see Roberson getting time over Harris, Harris has started all season.  The big thing was Jennings, because he is a true freshman.  But if you look at the second half of the Tulsa game the problem was not the left side of the line, it was actually the right.  But I don't know.... They play good when they have to.  I'm actually not concerned about it anymore.  I think they're going to be fine.  

I know Roberson got playing time when Harris was hurt but thought Roberson got some PT even after Harris came back but who knows it’s all been a blur.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

#33 points per game / #14 yards per game.

Things will be worse without Gilbert than they are with him.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I'd entertain the idea if Gilbert moved on but to even think about firing him mid season is just silly.   Colin is great for info about  the X's and O's of how an athletics office works but that's about it.   

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

has Shaun King developed and called plays before? does he do it at practice? otherwise why would he be good other then its the next "step" in progressing towards offensive minded HC?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, horny_gimli said:

#33 points per game / #14 yards per game.

Things will be worse without Gilbert than they are with him.

You probably think SP wins decide the Cy Young and Dan Marino isn’t a good QB