• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Blake Barnett

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

image.thumb.png.167f1ceb38c1d790286e09ee02ea8c9f.png

hasn't he had all of three games under his belt in college play-- not counting the brief stint at Bama- which from what I understand was over before it started.  Given the next two seasons, which he absolutely should play imo -- he can develop those areas people are pointing out here.

But not for nothing-- he was Deluth Trading Hardest Working Player in this game and these stats are not too shabby- especially since the INTs were tipped by USF receivers (or at least one was).

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

One pick was a terrible pass.   I didn't see the other.  It may be his 3rd start or so, but he isn't some green freshman.  He's been around, but he is a very good g5 level qb that should continue to get better for sure.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Barnett is already a 6th or 7th round draft pick on potential alone, if doesn't do anything else.

If he puts up the numbers I expect him to he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder.  He will break the season passing yardage record at USF easily.

If that happens, he might not come back next year.

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

One pick was a terrible pass.   I didn't see the other.  It may be his 3rd start or so, but he isn't some green freshman.  He's been around, but he is a very good g5 level qb that should continue to get better for sure.

One was tipped.  Totally not his fault.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

You really seem to undervalue live game experience. He needs two solid years of playing to develop and to give pro scouts an accurate picture of what kind of player he is imo.

If/What round he gets drafted in is interesting but totally speculative. He needs the work to improve his game to make him ready for the next level if that is his plan.

He has a ton to work on to be a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Again, all his stats so far are against crap defenses.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Barnett is already a 6th or 7th round draft pick on potential alone, if doesn't do anything else.

If he puts up the numbers I expect him to he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder.  He will break the season passing yardage record at USF easily.

There's a LOT of season left to be played.  He was REALLY shaky today.   Even if he does go bananas and break records this year at USF, he could use the next year to really cement his draft status.

6th or 7th round is no future.  3rd or 4th round doesn't guarantee you anything.  I'm hoping he does the smart thing and stays at USF for a 2nd year and continues to build on his progress.

That's all way ahead, though ... right now he has MANY things to work on to get better.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

The fight is starting pipe down 

Just now, MikeG said:

You really seem to undervalue live game experience. He needs two solid years of playing to develop and to give pro scouts an accurate picture of what kind of player he is imo.

If/What round he gets drafted in is interesting but totally speculative. He needs the work to improve his game to make him ready for the next level if that is his plan.

I'm not undervaluing game experience for his overall development and I have no doubt he will get better and better, but I've seen true 18/19 year old freshmen walk on the field and look good.  This guy is 22 years old and has spent 2 years battling 4 and 5 star athletes at Bama and ASU.  He isn't a true freshman and he is going to face many defenses that might be 3rd teamers at Bama.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

There's a LOT of season left to be played.  He was REALLY shaky today.   Even if he does go bananas and break records this year at USF, he could use the next year to really cement his draft status.

6th or 7th round is no future.  3rd or 4th round doesn't guarantee you anything.  I'm hoping he does the smart thing and stays at USF for a 2nd year and continues to build on his progress.

That's all way ahead, though ... right now he has MANY things to work on to get better.

He's 22 years old and has a family.

If he's projected to go in the top 3-4 rounds, he's gone.  Period.

He has over 900 yards passing and 7 TD's in 3 games.  Project that out for the year, 13 games, and you are looking at close to 4,000 yds passing and over 30 TD's.  BY FAR USF records in both.

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, footnfan1 said:

Not to be critical, while I have watched him, does it seem to you like he is a one read QB? If the WR or RB is open, he throws it, if he is not, he runs? Am I off base. Nice come back win today.

Keep in mind he has only been with the team since the summer and was not taking all the 1st team reps. Time is needed to build trust between the WRs, TEs and RBs and adjust the offense to everyone's skill set.

Go back to last year and compare Q. Flowers passing at San Jose compared to UCF and Texas Tech. I anticipate a similar progression this year both passing and running the ball with RBs.

I will say that Blake needs to get better at protecting himself and the ball when he runs.