• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barnett: Real Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

11 minutes ago, USF Bulls Football said:

To try to extrapolate anything D-wise we saw yesterday (except maybe vs Navy in a ccg) is a waste. I’m actually rather excited to see our pass D against some more traditional offenses; there are some play makers in the secondary.

I agree... they were on the field for a long time... Not just because of GT... we had back to back special team scores so they basically stayed out there for 3 or 4 drives.  I don't care about the junk yards at the end of the game, they bloated the numbers some.  But we won by 11 going away, they gave up zero points in the fourth quarter.  ZERO... that says a lot.

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Instead of quality insert “effectiveness” relative to their purpose of stopping offenses. I am not buying yet...I’ll wait a few games and see if improvements actually happen. But I do appreciate your positive perspective and hope it’s true going forward. 

The only reason the offense scored 21 in a row was because the defense got guess how many straight stops.  I'm just saying.... 

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, Calibull said:

I agree... they were on the field for a long time... Not just because of GT... we had back to back special team scores so they basically stayed out there for 3 or 4 drives.  I don't care about the junk yards at the end of the game, the bloated the numbers some.  But we won by 11 going away, they gave up zero points in the fourth quarter.  ZERO... that says a lot.

The only reason the offense scored 21 in a row was because the defense got guess how many straight stops.  I'm just saying.... 

Fair point about how the run backs for TDs did not help the cause of the defense. 

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Fair point about how the run backs for TDs did not help the cause of the defense. 

Not at all... but I'll take it every time... lol

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Here's the thing about the defense. If you are going to be one of the most penalized teams in the country (last year?), you have to play really aggressively and be talented (we were not!). I think that philosophy is being changed. Against GT, I saw a really disciplined team.

Going forward, I think they will play better and better. If you are going to play like Leavitt's teams in the past, you have to have the talent to back it up. We just haven't had that. How many defensive guys do we have in the NFL right now from recent years?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Here's the thing about the defense. If you are going to be one of the most penalized teams in the country (last year?), you have to play really aggressively and be talented (we were not!). I think that philosophy is being changed. Against GT, I saw a really disciplined team.

Going forward, I think they will play better and better. If you are going to play like Leavitt's teams in the past, you have to have the talent to back it up. We just haven't had that. How many defensive guys do we have in the NFL right now from recent years?

Umm... Hector, Senat, Nichols, Mike Love... 4 out of the typical 11 on the field. I don't think you're giving last year's defense enough credit and probably the losses from last year's defense enough credit for this year being young and inexperienced. I agree with your point, we're less experienced, so, it's important not to give away any free yards with dumb penalties.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Yes those 2 returns in a row really hurt the defense in a way...GT had a 10 min advantage in TOP thats huge in that heat. To get that last stop to keep that garbage td off the board was awesome. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

12 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Umm... Hector, Senat, Nichols, Mike Love... 4 out of the typical 11 on the field. I don't think you're giving last year's defense enough credit and probably the losses from last year's defense enough credit for this year being young and inexperienced. I agree with your point, we're less experienced, so, it's important not to give away any free yards with dumb penalties.

You, know you're right. I keep on thinking Senat was on the O-line for some reason. I guess when they lost to the gnats; they lost me. They deserve more credit than I give them (last year's defense).

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Just now, Flowers4Heisman said:

You, know you're right. I keep on thinking Senat was on the O-line for some reason. I guess when they lost to the gnats; they lost me. They deserve more credit than I give them (last year's defense).

That was certainly not a great one.

My biggest fear for this season going forward (now that QB seems OK), is the loss of Hector and Senat... those guys were so good. I think I saw a blurb on one of them that they have zero missed tackles... That's incredible. Once he (I think it was Senat) had his mitts on you, you were toast.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,716
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, Calibull said:

I actually strongly disagree.  I don't think our defense is that bad.  You make is sound like a Woodie defense.  We just have a bunch of first time starters, I can see them getting better.  We also did not have to change our actual scheme to deal with GT and that to me says a lot.  We did not use a 5 man line like many try, we went with what we had and won.  That doesn't happen often with triple option teams. 

You seem to know a lot about football, but from everything I heard they've been gearing up for GT through the fall camp.  Don't think Elon was on the radar as far as prepping.

Edit: and before you ask just talking with people in the building, no link.

Edited by CousinRicky

50 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You seem to know a lot about football, but from everything I heard they've been gearing up for GT through the fall camp.  Don't think Elon was on the radar as far as prepping.

Edit: and before you ask just talking with people in the building, no link.

We ran the 3-3-5 the entire game.  The only thing we were doing was either putting the OLB on the line to simulate the 4-2-5 or we just stayed in the 3-3-5.  Don't need a link, just literally watch the game.  It's not rocket science if you know what defense we run.  Gearing up to face something and changing your actual scheme are two different things.  Taggart would change the scheme when we faced the triple option... we played with 5 down linemen... lots of teams do it.  We did not.  So I'm really not sure what you're trying to say.  It's a little late to be drinking. 

:slapmax: