• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Positional Breakdown - Running Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

RUNNING BACKS (8):

Starter - Jordan Cronkrite - JR

Second String - Elijah Mack - SO

In the Mix  - Trevon Sands - JR, Duran Bell, Jr. - RS FR, Johnny Ford - FR

Reserves: Brian Norris, Jr. - FR, Davion Sutton - SR, Dave Small - RS FR

Outlook: There will be big shoes to fill in the backfield following the graduation of DJ and Tice (and Flowers too). After sitting out a year due to transfer, former Florida RB Jordan Cronkrite is positioned to take over the lead of what will likely be a committee backfield. Also factoring in will be Elijah Mack, Trevon Sands, and Duran Bell, Jr. I included Johnny Ford in the mix, because the small, but powerful speedster, seemed to be turning heads all Summer and could factor into the backfield. Listed at just 5'5'' and 168 pounds, Sterlin Gilbert should be able to find some unique ways to incorporate him into the offense. Might we have our own version of Sproles or Penny? At the very least, I expect he will get his 4 games this season. 

The future is bright as the only graduating senior is Davion Sutton, a former walk-on who was just placed on scholarship this week for his senior season. This is a position of youth, but one that should have ample talent, even if there isn't a superstar in their midst. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

I am expecting big things from Cronkrite. A few UF friends I have talked said he is a really good runner and a great pass catcher

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, ForestBull said:

I am expecting big things from Cronkrite. A few UF friends I have talked said he is a really good runner and a great pass catcher

Hopefully, Sterlin won't abandon our RB's in the passing game again and will actually utilize them this year.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,572
  • Days Won:  28

Ford's high school tape is awesome. Dude is tough for 5'5. I can't wait to see which running back truly pulls away from the rest. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Surprised sands isn't top 2...

Edited by Gismo

3 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Surprised sands isn't top 2...

I am projecting on this. He very well may be. Right now, I think we have a #1 (Cronkrite) then 2a, 2b, 2c (Mack, Sands, Bell, Jr.) 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Cronkrite reminds me of DJ 2.0. Slashy, one cut runner who can make guys miss in tight areas, but lack the true homerun speed. Factor in their pass catching abilities and they are almost clones. 

Sands hasn’t impressed me in his limited action. He doesn’t have a ton of wiggle and seems to be a hit the gap, lower your head and get your 3-4 type runner. That’s fine in this offense, but I’d rather have Mack do the same thing with more upside. 

Really interested to see what Bell can do. I’d love to see him returning kicks at some point this season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

I think Cronkite is going to be a better RB then DJ, honestly. DJ had next level hands, but strictly as a RB, he was a little above average. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

Surprising that you have Sutton as a reserve. He just earned a scholarship. He played last year at SJSU game. I expect to see him.

2 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

Surprising that you have Sutton as a reserve. He just earned a scholarship. He played last year at SJSU game. I expect to see him.

I expect to see him sparingly, in a reserve role. He may get one or two carries a game. We just have too many backs ahead of him on the depth chart. I didn't mean to imply that he wouldn't get in, but I don't see him being a significant contributor. The one year scholarship is a nice gesture for his hardwork over the years.