• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Emphasis on South Florida over USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

2 hours ago, TyBull said:

Funny Thing. My Diploma says "University of South Florida".........

But that isn't an option. TV announcers aren't going to say that every time, they are going to shorten it up. So the university has to decide which it prefers (not to say people can't just say whatever they want.) 

So "South Florida" or "USF"

Back when I started, we went by "South Florida" then the university decided it like "USF" better, and kept it that way for a long time  (10+ years). Now we are wondering if the tides are shifting again, and "South Florida" is coming back as the preferred name. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Just now, Mike Stuben said:

But that isn't an option. TV announcers aren't going to say that every time, they are going to shorten it up. So the university has to decide which it prefers (not to say people can't just say whatever they want.) 

So "South Florida" or "USF"

Back when I started, we went by "South Florida" then the university decided it like "USF" better, and kept it that way for a long time  (10+ years). Now we are wondering if the tides are shifting again, and "South Florida" is coming back as the preferred name. 

I am also seeing, "USF Tampa" a few places, so I'm not sure where the next step is. I know there is come changing branding coming up that we should all know in the next month or so. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I am also seeing, "USF Tampa" a few places, so I'm not sure where the next step is. I know there is come changing branding coming up that we should all know in the next month or so. 

That’s not bad...USF Tampa..

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

Look at the likes of Michigan State, North Carolina or Ohio State, they use MSU, UNC or OSU in chants, but ask anyone from there who they are, and it's Michigan State, North Carolina or Ohio State. The initials are good as a secondary, but nobody is mistaking South Florida for UCF. You tell anyone in the country you went to the University of South Florida and they have a good idea where that is; you say USF, anyone that's not a football fan is going to give you a blank stare. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Do they still have the canoe rental place along the river.  We've been gone since 2002 so have no clue if that business lasted.

I believe there are several canoe/kayak rental places along the river bank.

Edited by NJUSFBULL

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, BulledOver said:

Oh yeah make fun of the dyslexic old guy...well at least the old guy fits. I type so fast sometimes the smoke obscures the keys. CCS I got it now.

Man this is a tough crowd. charsibb, you aren't Sister Mary Jean from my school days are you??

CSS- see you knew who I meant prob the reference to Louisville, Texas dead giveaways 

Call me Sister Mary Elephant!

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

^^^

Oh, I remember that Cheech and Chong bit, so much funnier back then, though. 

I love South Florida. I don't love that we go to our real name because dipshits confuse us with dipshits.  CCS didn't even need to drop that one.  They have been so up and down, half the time people think we are UCF and they are USF.  Garbage.

Be proud.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

13 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Call me Sister Mary Elephant!

Haven't watched this yet but have a Best of CD set with the infamous Dave's Not Here and their Christmas Carol.  A little magic dust for Santa Claus, a little magic dust for the reindeer, a little more magic dust for Santa Clause.  And my CousinRicky moniker is in honor of Cheech via my cousin's husband - back when I was 17 and visiting Southern Cali for the 1st time.  Still use the the line when someone talks about being lost and tell them they could be at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk.  

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The only comedian from the 1970s that can still make me laugh is Richard Pryor. Looking back at Cheech and Chong the only thing I can think of is that they must have had a really good agent. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

7 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The only comedian from the 1970s that can still make me laugh is Richard Pryor. Looking back at Cheech and Chong the only thing I can think of is that they must have had a really good agent. 

Ah, pshaw.

Drugs and sex and religion were frickin hilarious when we were young and stoned!

I especially miss George Carlin, but he's not nearly as funny in reruns. Oh well.