• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Profitable for CSU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

So, I found an old article that says that CSU financed, through 40 year bonds, $239 million.  They received $87 million in donations.

https://collegian.com/2018/02/csu-begins-process-of-paying-off-239-million-in-stadium-debt/

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Another article:

Debt-service payments on bonds sold to fund stadium construction are $7.63 million this year and increase slightly through 2020 before maxing out at $12.18 million annually from 2021-2055.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/local/csu/2017/12/15/new-csu-stadium-financials-perform-beyond-expectations-year-1/943385001/

So, "profitable" seems to be using semantics.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

UAB drops football, reinstates it and is building an OCS in a state where Alabama and Auburn suck up about 98% of the college football fans and USF is mired in feasibility studies and reasons why it can’t be built.

UAB is not building an OCS. Its downtown and I believe is operated by the city, UAB is just the primary tenant. 

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/new_stadium_cements_survival_o.html

The stadium isn't just for UAB, obviously, but the Blazers will be the venue's first permanent tenant. UAB is signing a 20-year lease with the BJCC Authority to play there.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

8 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

UAB drops football, reinstates it and is building an OCS in a state where Alabama and Auburn suck up about 98% of the college football fans and USF is mired in feasibility studies and reasons why it can’t be built.

3 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

UAB is not building an OCS. Its downtown and I believe is operated by the city, UAB is just the primary tenant. 

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/new_stadium_cements_survival_o.html

The stadium isn't just for UAB, obviously, but the Blazers will be the venue's first permanent tenant. UAB is signing a 20-year lease with the BJCC Authority to play there.

Facts do sometimes get in the way ...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

23 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Facts do sometimes get in the way ...

Perhaps Trip but there are examples throughout the country of G5 programs finding a way to build an OCS.  In my opinion, the home game atmosphere at RayJay is awful.  I’m sure others may feel different, but for me it sucks.  With that said, I attend every home game cause I love watching the Bulls play.

If USF is not serious about an OCS and satisfied playing at RayJay, in my opinion, that decision will have negative long term consequences to the program.  That’s all I’m saying.

Edited by El_Toro_86
  • Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

6 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Perhaps Trip but there are examples throughout the country of G5 programs finding a way to build an OCS.  In my opinion, the home game atmosphere at RayJay is awful.  I’m sure others may feel different, but for me it sucks.  With that said, I attend every home game cause I love watching the Bulls play.

If USF is not serious about an OCS and satisfied playing at RayJay, in my opinion, that  will have negative long term consequences to the program.  That’s all I’m saying.

I do fully understand that some things would be better in an ocs. However, the vast majority of those G5 programs have an ocs out of necessity. It was find a way to build one or no football program. Haven't look at all the ones being built in recent years but those I saw mainly boiled down to two reasons, some sort of perceived necessity or big time donors decided it was time for one. As much as some on here keep wanting to bang on the "we NEED one" drum, there's been no evidence of that being true (I do get the long term consequences fear, though).... and we apparently don't have enough big time donors that think it's time for one. I do think one reason Kelly was brought in was to convince enough that it is time so we'll see if he can ....... after the IPF.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,408
  • Days Won:  13

So, when football is no longer played, what do they do with the stadiums?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-health/friday-night-lights-start-dim-high-school-football-n902886

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

Is there a (somewhat) recent example of a team graduating to P5 status that didn't already have a stadium? I don't think there is any realistic way that an invite comes this day and age without a preexisting stadium.  I know its just my opinion, but its on the side of precedent.  Besides, there are foundational measures that come with a stadium that you don't want to delay if you're interested in long term growth of a program.   

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, ECUshoein said:

Is there a (somewhat) recent example of a team graduating to P5 status that didn't already have a stadium? I don't think there is any realistic way that an invite comes this day and age without a preexisting stadium.  I know its just my opinion, but its on the side of precedent.  Besides, there are foundational measures that come with a stadium that you don't want to delay if you're interested in long term growth of a program.   

When has there been a team move to the P5?

We were probably the last going to the Big East (I'm assuming BCS auto bid = P5).