• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Profitable for CSU

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,704
  • Days Won:  424

On 8/24/2018 at 11:27 AM, El_Toro_86 said:

This is ridiculous.  We don’t need an OCS.  It would be a complete waste of money.  We’re extremely lucky to be playing in a rented 2/3 empty NFL stadium with a pirate ship.  Oh, I forgot to mention that they’ve played an NCAA Chapionship game and Super Bowls on our home field.  How great is that?!?!  I mean seriously, what major college football program wouldn’t want to trade places with us.  You OCS guys are just absurd.

38 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Name the P5 school that wants to switch.

He forgot the sarcasm font ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

He forgot the sarcasm font ....

:GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,414
  • Days Won:  13

11 hours ago, LifeLongTampan said:

USF should get a refund on that study put together for its OCS. I'm an FSU alum, but have always kept tabs on USF being from Tampa, and now going to USF for grad school... so this is a bit of an outsider's perspective of someone now rooting for USF.

No one goes to college football games for seat backs, cup holders, large jumbotrons, or whatever other luxuries Ray Jay offers. Do you know how many games I would go back up to Tallahassee for if FSU had a um type arrangement? Many fewer than I do now. Doak Campbell isn't nearly as nice, feature rich, comfortable, etc as Raymond James or Seminole Hard Rock Stadium -- and yet it couldn't be more perfect. When I go back up for FSU games, it feels like I'm back home. There's no better way to connect with your alma mater than returning to your campus, hitting up old favorite spots around campus, tailgating, and then going to the game at a stadium you used to walk to from your dorm room. When you go to a football game at Ray Jay, what connection is there to the University other than the logo on the helmet? This is what separates the college football experience from the pros. Going to a college football game is about much more than the football game.

Also, you need to get students to go to games in the first place so they'll have that burning desire to come back. I got an email from USF last week -- average student attendance was 4,000 last year... and it seemed like they were bragging about this! For the best team in USF history and a team contending for a conference championship and NY6 bowl game. This number instantly doubles with even a UCF quality OCS (sorry -- fighting words I know).The problem described above is exacerbated when alumni never even went to games as students.

FSU also has attendance problems.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/football/declining-football-attendance-inside-the-numbers-in-the-acc/

On another note, I saw that the Hurricanes have a permanent sign on the outside of Hard Rock Stadium. I think trying to get that at Ray Jay is a more reasonable goal.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I'd like a 40k stadium. I would rather be selling out small stadium. Have something where students can walk to and not need to drive and figure out designated drivers. Really this should not be that hard for USF. 

And attendance is declining nation wide, so going bigger for growth probabaly is the wrong direction. 

If it's only 40k and tickets become hard to get, the scarcity principle can create a lot of momentum that could keep ticket consumption higher after the big games pass, i.e. holding onto season tickets for the one game on the schedule that will sell out.

I think an OCS will do a much better job building a tight knit fan community than Raymond James, even if it's a dump in comparison, it's on campus, proximity will infect some of the student body, and games will offer campus nastalgia to alums. Tailgating on campus is the college football experience that really brings the community together and you just will never get the same effect at Raymond James. I guess we saw 2007 sold out Raymond James was a blast, but I think it's time to move to campus.

.... and we are all USF homers so we will love it no matter how much it sucks.... and the new students won't know the difference except now they can't escape the gameday prescence on campus.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1