• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scheduling Philosophy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

On 5/26/2018 at 2:12 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

and ucf...

Edited by Roaming Bull

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Days Won:  28

Purdue and Northwestern both have plenty of openings in 2020 and 2021. We need to schedule at least one of them. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

On 5/27/2018 at 7:20 PM, BullsFanInTX said:

There are so many problems with this scheduling philosophy.  Let me try to summarize them.  First, by doing so many 2 for 1's, it is hard to get 6 home games a year.  Meanwhile everyone else is playing 7 home games, and thus, racking up more wins, in theory.  Say all you want about going out and being road warriors, but the fact is, it is far easier to win at home.  Say goodbye to 7 home games a year.  There is a reason Alabama plays 8 home games a year.  Even Alabama occasionally loses on the road, because it's just harder to win on the road, especially against a power program.  Next, you are permanently etching in stone that you are a second class program.  Power programs, which USF aspires to be, never do 2 for 1's.  Ever.  Ever.  You are saying you are not worthy of playing other programs on an equal footing.  Next, you virtually guarantee an extra loss or 2 every year, automatically taking you out of the NY6 bid.  The main factor for getting a Ny6 bid is wins.  Then, once you have 2 teams with no or one losses, all things being equal, THEN you start compare schedules to see who gets bid.  But if you start out with 2 losses, you aren't going, even if you win conference.  Next, you're putting yourself behind the 8 ball compared to the rest of the AAC, who plays one P6 opponent and are going 4-0 every year, meanwhile you are going 2-2.  Next, you could possibly beat yourself up prior to conference play, when everyone else is just working out the kinks.  You are telling the entire world that YOU are inferior.  YOU are not worthy, and YOU are a permanent second class citizens.

1-1's only.  Everything else is a disgrace.  Sure, should you happen to win them, and if you haven't beaten yourself up, then you might be able to make some noise.  But when you are playing constant road games, that is going to be hard to do.

I understand why it is being done, but that doesn't mean I agree.  Quick, name me one major program that does 2 for ones.  My point exactly.  The end.        

You can do 2 for 1's and get games with great opponents, or you can sit on your principled butt and demand 1 and 1s and you'll either get no games or get your home game bought out. Like the OP I admire the philosophy of UCF insisting on nothing but one and ones but reality is going to trump that philosophy. Unless you can get the entire G5 to refuse a one and done or 2 and 1s you can bet the P5 will always find takers for opponents on their terms. We have to work within the unfair framework of college football while we try to subvert and destroy that framework.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571

In the end we need to win these games period. I think the whole "we are too good for  2 for 1 deals" doesn't matter. We have three chances to beat UF and if we at least go 2-1 then the bragging rights are well worth it. The other set up is simply locking up P5 opponents. Better safe than sorry. I never want to see schedule like 2017 ever again. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612

FSU built their program on an “anywhere anytime” philosophy.  I’m sure they didn’t think they were too good for a 2 for 1

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

We need more ACC games, if we can get them. This will help (a little bit) with maybe getting into the ACC.

Miami, FSU... and then whoever else.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

We need more ACC games, if we can get them. This will help (a little bit) with maybe getting into the ACC.

Miami, FSU... and then whoever else.

Good point. If any upheaval takes place, the AAC could lose some teams to the Big10. This would be the perfect conference. 

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

15 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good point. If any upheaval takes place, the AAC could lose some teams to the Big10. This would be the perfect conference. 

So, are you saying things are perfect now? :D

Edited by Flowers4Heisman

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

So, are you saying things are perfect now? :D

Oh football gods please forgive...my sin of constantly writing about the drudges of the AAC has now caused me to speak of a superior conferences in the same vain...I will say three Roger Staubach Hail Marys and be on my way. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

11 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Oh football gods please forgive...my sin of constantly writing about the drudges of the AAC has now caused me to speak of a superior conferences in the same vain...I will say three Roger Staubach Hail Marys and be on my way. 

Just curious, but shouldn't that be Flutie Hail Marys? :GoBulls: