• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls AD Harlan About to Sign an Extension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

On 4/24/2018 at 7:34 PM, brybull1970 said:

That 5% raise isn’t much of a vote of confidence. I think Harlan got extended but they’re not looking to take him off the market if other schools come calling.

As a USF employee I'd be doing cartwheels if I got a 5% raise.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,350
  • Days Won:  5

5 percent of a large number is a large number relative to your base salary

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,350
  • Days Won:  5

He had no dog in the fight per se. he was never a USF guy. No community involvement. Dude was making a paycheck.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

He had no dog in the fight per se. he was never a USF guy. No community involvement. Dude was making a paycheck.

This is an excellent observation...one I did not think about since I don't live in Tampa. But it is dead on. Looking back he was like a robot, doing his job (sometimes well) but was not passionate about Tampa or the community. Compare him to CWT for example. I know it may be apples to oranges to compare a FB coach to an AD, but Harlan rarely showed any Tampa love...which was strange as he was trying to fund raise the whales who lived in Tampa.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Yeah... maybe Harlan should have had stoned out rappers hanging out at donor functions to show more loyalty to USF. I work for a company that is family owned. I treat the company like it's my own even though I don't own it. I have no doubt Harlan has that same type of work ethic... you don't move that far in the business world without excelling at your position.

The man left for a job in a P5 conference, however he helped us land a three game series with UF with a substantial buyout. I'll take it. He also landed Charlie Strong's predecessor once Strong leaves this season (we'd be foolish not to make Gilbert the HC after Strong leaves - you naysayers will see what people in Texas have been saying about Gilbert for years).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Turns out it was a Be-UTE-tiful extension.

One that was well thought out by the people that do these things at USF.  It allowed him to look for a job making it look like he was wanted here.  He got a small percentage of what he asked for in a raise.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

One that was well thought out by the people that do these things at USF.  It allowed him to look for a job making it look like he was wanted here.  He got a small percentage of what he asked for in a raise.

A Dell rep for USF once told us that we didn't have to worry about an employee we had complained about, she had transferred out. He referred to her as "Not good enough to keep, not bad enough to fire" and her transfer was optimal for him. Harlan seems to have been about the same.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,478
  • Days Won:  13

2 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

A Dell rep for USF once told us that we didn't have to worry about an employee we had complained about, she had transferred out. He referred to her as "Not good enough to keep, not bad enough to fire" and her transfer was optimal for him. Harlan seems to have been about the same.

Very accurate portrayal.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Interesting perspective. Like making your old extra baggage look like Louis Vitton so it'll sell quicker at the yard sale.

Maybe I'll have one of my Organizational Behaviour students do a research paper on it this semester...