• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Burke should've been fired months ago

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

1.) Burke should probably be fired, anyone else in his situation would.
2.) I love loyalty in a coach, I could totally see myself giving this guy another chance if he had been loyal to me
3.)Im not sure but it seems that some are calling for CCS to be fired? Maybe i'm just really old but I doubt I'm the only one who remembers the last time this board was glad to get rid of a successful coach. I'd much rather keep CCS as head coach then see a repeat of CSH fiasco that we are still recovering from. Now if CCS goes 4-8 next year, I might begin to change my mind.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

5 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

3.)Im not sure but it seems that some are calling for CCS to be fired? Maybe i'm just really old but I doubt I'm the only one who remembers the last time this board was glad to get rid of a successful coach. I'd much rather keep CCS as head coach then see a repeat of CSH fiasco that we are still recovering from. Now if CCS goes 4-8 next year, I might begin to change my mind.

I don't think people are calling for him to be fired (admittedly I skimmed the thread and didn't read every post) but rather just kind of discussing what we saw out of him this year an possible replacements since the coaching musical chairs are still far from stopping.  CCS was never going to be a top target for the tier 1 jobs that came open.  But as those continue to get filled other mid level P5 jobs way come open and those are the schools that we should worry about.  

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

12 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

No thanks to OC.  His offenses have been less than inspiring.   I love coach Scott but unless he hires  a young innovative OC and hands him the keys to the offense I want no part of him as a HC.  

When Strong leaves(when ever that may be) I think Scott at HC with King as OC fits the bill nicely. 

Edited by 206BULL
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

When Strong leaves(when ever that may be) I think Scott at HC with King as OC fits the bill nicely. 

I co-sign this

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

35 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

so you want to hire a HC who failed as an OC? and an OC who has all of two years experience as a position coach?

yikes....

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

22 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

so you want to hire a HC who failed as an OC? and an OC who has all of two years experience as a position coach?

yikes....

I would hire an up and coming coach who has been successful at every stop in his career aside from one season as an OC running a Lame Duck head coaches offense. Said perspective coach has been nothing but loyal to his alma mater up until the point Skip dismissed him of his duties and he headed to UM. At UM this perspective coach was successful as an interim HC after AL Golden was fired and lead a team that had no business making a bowl game to a bowl game victory. Said coach is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation due in part to the amount of love and respect both his players and high school players have for him.

When it comes to Shaun King as an OC if it's not here it will be somewhere and it will be soon. Again you have a young up and coming coach who is regarded as a top recruiter and has built a solid resume for himself as a player and at the high school 7 on 7level with Team Tampa. Players and parents love and respect him and although his resume at the college level is small it should not be a reason that he is held back. He has done nothing but a bang-up job since he has been here and deserves a chance.

The combination of Larry Scott and Shaun King on the recruiting trail could rival and even surpass what Taggart and Strong have been able to do talent wise and if surrounded by the right supporting cast will be successful on and off the field IMO> So to answer your question yes I would love for Larry Scott to be our HC and Shaun King to get a shot at OC.

Edit: On second thought I think Scott was dismissed by Taggart in his first season not Skip. 2011- 2013 kind of blend in for me. 

Edited by 206BULL

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, 206BULL said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/yahoo-sports-pat-forde-lists-tennessees-larry-scott-among-worst-coordinator-hires-college-football/

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

14 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

I would hire an up and coming coach who has been successful at every stop in his career aside from one season as an OC running a Lame Duck head coaches offense. Said perspective coach has been nothing but loyal to his alma mater up until the point Skip dismissed him of his duties and he headed to UM. At UM this perspective coach was successful as an interim HC after AL Golden was fired and lead a team that had no business making a bowl game to a bowl game victory. Said coach is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation due in part to the amount of love and respect both his players and high school players have for him.

When it comes to Shaun King as an OC if it's not here it will be somewhere and it will be soon. Again you have a young up and coming coach who is regarded as a top recruiter and has built a solid resume for himself as a player and at the high school 7 on 7level with Team Tampa. Players and parents love and respect him and although his resume at the college level is small it should not be a reason that he is held back. He has done nothing but a bang-up job since he has been here and deserves a chance.

The combination of Larry Scott and Shaun King on the recruiting trail could rival and even surpass what Taggart and Strong have been able to do talent wise and if surrounded by the right supporting cast will be successful on and off the field IMO> So to answer your question yes I would love for Larry Scott to be our HC and Shaun King to get a shot at OC.

glad you don't make the hiring decisions.....

Scott's only year as an OC his offense was ranked #118th. He didn't win a bowl game at Miami. Tenn went over a month between offensive TDs. almost 4 full games. He has worked on college staffs of 3 coaches that were fired. How successful has he really been?

Shaun King has 2 years experience at the college level. One as QB coach and another as RB coach. That qualifies him to run an offense??

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

I think all the Scott desire comes from the USF faithful wanting so hard for a bull to come in and be our "Steve Spurrier-type" savior who will stay forever.

But let's face it. He was awful last year.

He's not the one.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Maybe it has been said earlier in the thread but you know Burke is just a kid right? 29 years old. He was playing QB at Louisville not long ago and went straight in to being a grad assistant. Has been with CCS since 2008. 

This year is his 1st as any kind of position coach. Not defending him but clearly he isn't an expert and is just playing along. CCS isn't going to fire him. At best he may go back to being an assistant.