• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If I did not Know Better

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

54 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

i see, so dominating doesn't mean winning by 30 points or keeping teams to 0 offensive touchdowns. In order to be considered dominating teams we need to score 80 points a game, lead the nation in every category both offensively and defensively while keeping every team to a field goal or less.

So we gave up some points yesterday. That was poor decisions on the coaching staff to go into clock burning mode too early. Big deal. Miami almost lost to Syracuse, Texas almost beat OSU. 

I think if cut out the penalties in the red zone that turn first and goal from the 7 and take points off the board or turn it into 1st and goal from the 20 then we are scoring TDs and not Field Goals  

in my opinion we don't have the breakaway speed to run so many bubble screens, touch pass runs and jet sweeps that we did last year  Mack was quick enoigh to bounce outside or to get the edge  Our RBs this year have not been able to the edge.  When we do try the bubble our receivers are getting caught or not breaking the tackes like Adams did  maybe some around here are the ones wanting to run the GCO without the athletes to do it  

We aren't a flawless team.  We were never going to the CFP, but for the most part we have been dominating every game  every game is not going to be 75-3.

Go back and watch our offense last year or even UCFs this year. It's more than the # of points. Look at the holes that are opened up on runs between the tackles by using misdirection and LBs losing their assignment because of confusion. There's none of that this season. It's simple, basic inside zone. We definitely miss MM and RA speed. No doubt. However we lack creativity on offense and are relying on sheer talent. Just because that's working against inferior talent doesn't mean the coach is doing a good job. 

You don't have to be a CFP team to dominate our schedule thus far. Its awful. I can only speak for myself, but I'm disappointed with the lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball. When you're a team predicated on speed, your goal as an OC should be to make the defense make one wrong step and there's a big play. 

Seriously, go back and watch the first couple of drives UCF ran against navy. They bring a WR in motion and run inside zone and the holes are huge because the LBs are losing their eyes. They aren't giving anything away by doing that. It won't be any easier to stop because we see it on film. It's just overall more difficult to defend because you have to defend against more options.  

I'm enjoying this season. I'm happy to be a bull and 7-0. I'm not bringing this up hoping we lose and I can say I told you so. I just really, really hope I don't have to come back here on the Saturday after thanksgiving and say, well we should have seen this coming. 

Edited by IBulleve
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

44 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Even if the team played to the level I believe they can, it's a tough haul to go 12-0. Even with a 90% chance to win every game you only have a 28% chance to win 12 in a row. But this was supposed to be the magical year with everything poised to go our way so I'm expecting it. In my mind this team, for USF, is close to a once in a generation team with regards to the talent level. That's why it pains me to see the team not performing as well as I believe they can.  I know this chance won't come along again for quite some time.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, SANJAY said:

Ragin, If CWT was still here that would mean that Woodie is still coaching the D? then this team is not 7-0. We likely lose the ECU and/or Tulane games. On the road and the offenses did some damage even with us tackling much better this year.

True, Woodie was terrible, but we still win both the Tulane and especially the  ECU game if he were still here.  It took him a while to realize it, but CWT finally understood that letting "Flowers Be Flowers," so to speak was the key to winning ball games.  It hasn't looked as though Coach Strong has let him improvise as much.  Our 7-0 record is as soft as it gets at this level of football.  Give Houston a good drubbing this upcoming Saturday and my opinion changes big time!  This is perhaps the most talented team in the history of USF football.  But we have not played like it as of yet.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Azmodi said:

Yes but; it's 6 games later and he still hasn't fixed it.

7-0 ... 30+ points a game ... you'll have to be a little more specific about "it".

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I am a fan of CCS, but I can tell you I am frustrated with his inability to get special teams act together with blocked kicks. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, MMW said:

This statement is puzzling.  Our team is 7-0 with lofty offensive and defensive numbers but Strong hasn't done a good job?

Our offense is productive and our defense is stingy.  It's it possible that you all were spoiled by our score at will ability last year?  That was great and all but or defense was embarrassing.  Worse than that CWT didn't care.  What I see in CCS is balance.  It is a veteran team coming off an 11-2 team but they are still learning a new system.

We also see a coach who is putting in his second and third string instead of running up the score.  I see that every game.  He can do that because even though the game is not officially over we have dominated throughout.

Very simply put, look at the competition these numbers are put up against.  UCF is high scoring and undefeated too.  But they have quality wins against Navy and Memphis.  Even a weaker team on  their schedule such as Maryland is far better than anyone we have played thus far.   We have not played one team that compares to any of those.  Stonybrook? ECU? San Jose State? etc.     Again, the combined record of our opponents thus far is 18-53.  Don't get me wrong.  I am thrilled that we are 7-0.  You can't play sloppy games against inferior competition week in and week out and realistically consider ourselves a top 20 team.  The Houston game is our first real test of the season.   Hopefully, we pass it with flying colors!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, IBulleve said:

Go back and watch our offense last year or even UCFs this year. It's more than the # of points. Look at the holes that are opened up on runs between the tackles by using misdirection and LBs losing their assignment because of confusion. There's none of that this season. It's simple, basic inside zone. We definitely miss MM and RA speed. No doubt. However we lack creativity on offense and are relying on sheer talent. Just because that's working against inferior talent doesn't mean the coach is doing a good job. 

You don't have to be a CFP team to dominate our schedule thus far. Its awful. I can only speak for myself, but I'm disappointed with the lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball. When you're a team predicated on speed, your goal as an OC should be to make the defense make one wrong step and there's a big play. 

Seriously, go back and watch the first couple of drives UCF ran against navy. They bring a WR in motion and run inside zone and the holes are huge because the LBs are losing their eyes. They aren't giving anything away by doing that. It won't be any easier to stop because we see it on film. It's just overall more difficult to defend because you have to defend against more options.  

The offense we ran last year, the offense that UCF runs this year are not the only offenses that can be successful. A new OC is going to run the offense he feels most comfortable running and up to this point that offense is averaging 42 pts  a game .... and we're 7-0 ... I just don't get it sometimes.

I just really, really hope I don't have to come back here on the Saturday after thanksgiving and say, well we should have seen this coming.

You'll have to wait in line. There are some who have been greasing those "I told you so" wheels for weeks ...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Well they have 3 games to hone the edge on our team, and I hope it's a razor by T-day. I won't be a chest thumper if we don't win out--I think this is probably our best potential in 10 years to make it happen, I just think we can be better. So far, so good but it's been scarier than I hoped.

I certainly see the great place we're in, especially compared to where we were just 4 years ago. It's a pretty cool place, but the CC is the goal and our team still has work to do. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Did you happen to know that we are rushing for 20 yards MORE a game this year, than we did last year with the great Marlon Mack.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

The offense we ran last year, the offense that UCF runs this year are not the only offenses that can be successful. A new OC is going to run the offense he feels most comfortable running and up to this point that offense is averaging 42 pts  a game .... and we're 7-0 ... I just don't get it sometimes.

You'll have to wait in line. There are some who have been greasing those "I told you so" wheels for weeks ...

No doubt.

Too bad, that there is so much hand wringing on this board when we are still undefeated and ranked in the top 20.

Sad to say, that there will still be people complaining about something no matter what happens.

Perhaps, that is just human nature.

We can always perform better in some areas.

All teams have both their strengths and weaknesses, to one degree or another.

I remember this board in '07 in the days BEFORE the infamous Rutger's game and thought that many here at the time were just over the top in their expectations and that a monumental meltdown was bound to happen at some point. I have never bothered to bring that up, before.

So, I learned to not get too high or too low with my expectations when it comes to USF football.

Hopefully, things work out as well as possible.

If not, I at least won't be wringing my hands.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying the winning streak for as long as it lasts, knowing that it will one day end.

When we do lose, I hope I don't make excuses and just say, "We lost to a better team," on that day.

Edited by Mama_Bull