• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anybody a wee bit concerned about Flowers?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  749
  • Days Won:  1

Q looks frustrated by his play and play calling and WRs dropping A LOT of catchable balls....we will ride or die with Q

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

The offense is a work in progress.  Maybe since Temple struggles vs the run they ran a more conservative game plan. Normally Q hits a few deep balls but in this game Temple had that pretty covered up.  

Just keep winning and improving.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

Agreed.. looking at the number from last night. If Q had connected one one or two deep balls, his numbers would have been about the norm. Still, his facial expressions said a lot.

I think Flowers got thrown off his game with the 15 yard penalty and fumble for a td.  I bet Flowers feels bad he lost the shutout the d would have had.

He will rebound.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,728
  • Days Won:  0

I'm actually happy to see that the Bulls can blow out a team that they should blowout -- even when QF has low numbers. I am sure our future opponents are not so happy to see that!

Oh, and that one TD run was amazing even by Flowers' standards. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

I think all the penalties on offense might have thrown off his rhythm.  I'm really not sure what is up with false starts.  It's never been that big of an issue in the past.  Flowers usually gets better as the game goes along, but it takes him some time to get warmed up.  With running the ball so much, I think it threw off his passing.  The drops didn't help either.  He just didn't look comfortable throwing.

Flowers also starts season slow lets see what he looks like in a month.  My bet much better.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

11 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I think Flowers got thrown off his game with the 15 yard penalty and fumble for a td.  I bet Flowers feels bad he lost the shutout the d would have had.

He will rebound.

And the false starts, and dropping the snap twice,  He just had a bad night.  I'm sure he'll bounce back.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

5 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

And the false starts, and dropping the snap twice,  He just had a bad night.  I'm sure he'll bounce back.

... and the lack of blocking on pass plays...

Honestly, maybe I am weird, but, I didn't care about Q's 15 yarder. And, I don't care if he is awful the rest of the year. That kid put a sorry-ass team on his back 3 years ago and made us all excited about USF football again. He has complete amnesty from me as far as his play is concerned. There is definitely frustration from him right now, but, I think it really stems from the team around him not giving him the help they once did... Mack and Adams made plays. O line gave him some more time. Just overall the offense isn't clicking... hopefully it will come together and Q will look like a stud again. If not, it wasn't meant to be... was it the great T.O. that said... "thats my quarterback" through his tears? That's how I feel about Q.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

2 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

... and the lack of blocking on pass plays...

Honestly, maybe I am weird, but, I didn't care about Q's 15 yarder. And, I don't care if he is awful the rest of the year. That kid put a sorry-ass team on his back 3 years ago and made us all excited about USF football again. He has complete amnesty from me as far as his play is concerned. There is definitely frustration from him right now, but, I think it really stems from the team around him not giving him the help they once did... Mack and Adams made plays. O line gave him some more time. Just overall the offense isn't clicking... hopefully it will come together and Q will look like a stud again. If not, it wasn't meant to be... was it the great T.O. that said... "thats my quarterback" through his tears? That's how I feel about Q.

I am really wondering if it's more the OL than Flowers. He didn't have a lot of time to throw last night. I initially thought Temple's front four were a little overrated, and they definitely weren't great at holding the edge, but they definitely got to him several times even if they didn't sack him every time. Gilbert keeps telling him to go through his progressions (this has been mentioned in public) but he doesn't have a line that's good enough to let him do that. The penalties definitely aren't helping. It is very hard for me to believe that they can't get a sweep or reverse going without a false start, they did it all last year without issue, now suddenly every one of them is accompanied with a flag. 

The good news is that we have essentially three weeks to fix it before we face Tulane in New Orleans (I still think that's going to be a tougher game than most expect). We still have two relatively easy opponents and a bye week. Gilbert needs to start running plays that are going to get yardage. We thought they had finally opened up the offense last week and they had, then suddenly they shut it down again. You can't do that. You absolutely can't. The high powered, complicated offense OCSG runs needs live game reps. The film is already out there-there's no point in hiding it. You can't vanilla your way to an undefeated season and now they're ruining a really good QB and a chance at having a ton of positive national press for USF and for Quinton Flowers. That is going to hurt fan support. Imagine if instead of Booger and Galloway making fun of the team last night, they were forced to sit and watch as the offense marched up and down the field all night and scored 60+ points. That would have been a statement. They wouldn't have been able to go nearly as negative as they did. I get it. You have games coming against Houston, Tulsa, and some other pretty good teams. But you want everyone talking about USF like "OMG! These guys are amazing. You can't stop their offense or their defense". We left 20 points on the board tonight. Imagine if USF had won 63-0? You almost never do that to FBS teams. That would have been grounds to jump 7-8 spots in the rankings. 

I personally think Sterlin is being way too stubborn. He could at least run the ball to the outside where teams really can't contain us easily. Enough with the power-O silliness, that isn't us and it never will be. He can be vanilla, but at least be vanilla with a style of attack that suits us.