• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anybody a wee bit concerned about Flowers?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

I am really wondering if it's more the OL than Flowers. He didn't have a lot of time to throw last night. I initially thought Temple's front four were a little overrated, and they definitely weren't great at holding the edge, but they definitely got to him several times even if they didn't sack him every time. Gilbert keeps telling him to go through his progressions (this has been mentioned in public) but he doesn't have a line that's good enough to let him do that. The penalties definitely aren't helping. It is very hard for me to believe that they can't get a sweep or reverse going without a false start, they did it all last year without issue, now suddenly every one of them is accompanied with a flag. 

The good news is that we have essentially three weeks to fix it before we face Tulane in New Orleans (I still think that's going to be a tougher game than most expect). We still have two relatively easy opponents and a bye week. Gilbert needs to start running plays that are going to get yardage. We thought they had finally opened up the offense last week and they had, then suddenly they shut it down again. You can't do that. You absolutely can't. The high powered, complicated offense OCSG runs needs live game reps. The film is already out there-there's no point in hiding it. You can't vanilla your way to an undefeated season and now they're ruining a really good QB and a chance at having a ton of positive national press for USF and for Quinton Flowers. That is going to hurt fan support. Imagine if instead of Booger and Galloway making fun of the team last night, they were forced to sit and watch as the offense marched up and down the field all night and scored 60+ points. That would have been a statement. They wouldn't have been able to go nearly as negative as they did. I get it. You have games coming against Houston, Tulsa, and some other pretty good teams. But you want everyone talking about USF like "OMG! These guys are amazing. You can't stop their offense or their defense". We left 20 points on the board tonight. Imagine if USF had won 63-0? You almost never do that to FBS teams. That would have been grounds to jump 7-8 spots in the rankings. 

I personally think Sterlin is being way too stubborn. He could at least run the ball to the outside where teams really can't contain us easily. Enough with the power-O silliness, that isn't us and it never will be. He can be vanilla, but at least be vanilla with a style of attack that suits us. 

well put. they should not be holding back this offense with the conservative play calling if that is  what they are doing. your goal every time out there should be to score TDs just like your goal on defense is to stop them from scoring.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Clearly you have a skewed memory of the Holtz era

I only reference Holtz as a destroyer of things that are good. Gilbert the destroyer of a good offense that I loved.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,546
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, MMW said:

There are a lot of confused people on this thread.

A very diplomatic way to put it ...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  2

The only thing Temple did well last night was rush the passer.  I don't like how all of our pass plays seem to be from the pocket.  Would it be too much to ask for a roll out or a bootleg?

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

Is CCS at World of Beers this week for his show?  I want some questions answered.  All I heard last night is the fans asking why the change since the Illinois game on offense.  I felt we took 2 steps backward last night on offense.  How many up the middle plays can there be?  Doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result is insanity!!  When Q is happy out there so goes the team. But when the leader of this team is frustrated look out!!!!!!  Thank God for our defense. This is pure wish on my part but I wish during practice they would put OCSG in Q's place & let him see how plain vanilla & unproductive his play calling is. CCS spoke with me directly when I asked if we were going to see more creative play calling this season. He gave me a resounding "yes".  So ...... I either got a line of bull.... or he is totally clueless. It took CWT 2 seasons & almost his job to realize what needed to be done. CCS has 9 days to figure this out.  

The VP of USF came in & sat down nonchalantly at the end of our row.  He sure was texting a lot.  He got an earful of how mad the fans were. He didn't stay very long. Just sitting & listening.

6 minutes ago, nobullaboutit said:

All I heard last night is the fans asking why the change since the Illinois game on offense.  I felt we took 2 steps backward last night on offense.  How many up the middle plays can there be?  Doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result is insanity!!

Temple gave up over 400 yds rushing to Notre Dame. We got over 300 yds, a 5yd/carry average and 43 points ....

This place can be mind numbing at times.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Temple gave up over 400 yds rushing to Notre Dame. We got over 300 yds, a 5yd/carry average and 43 points ....

This place can be mind numbing at times.

we started drives inside THEIR 30 yard line 6 times.

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

we started drives inside THEIR 30 yard line 6 times.

We did leave some points on the field but we still scored 43 ... ***** when those left on the field points decide a game.

Just now, Triple B said:

We did leave some points on the field but we still scored 43 ... ***** when those left on the field points decide a game.

That's what it will take? a loss before anyone can comment on how bad this offense looks?

I get we scored 43 but that's because our defense got our offense the ball INSIDE their 30 yard line 6 times. That is not going to happen every game.

I get their style is to run-run-pass-punt and leave it up to the defense but it will come back to bite them in a game just like the bad defense we played last year eventually caught up to us.

I love how our defense attacks even up to the end. Just wish they would attack on offense as well.

21 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

That's what it will take? a loss before anyone can comment on how bad this offense looks?

You can comment any time you want. I'm just saying the offense has done what it needs, in different ways, to win ball games. Saying an offense that's averaging 500yds/41pts per game looks bad is kind of ridiculous, don't ya think?