• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

He also said that a G5 could still make the current CFP. And I'm talking about a designated NCAA division. 

Well, the NCAA has pretty much gone along with everything the P5 has wanted ... it could definitely move in that direction, and I think it might, especially if the G5 decides to hold its own championship.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The AAC commissioner has been adamant that the conference will never support nor participate in a G5 playoff. 

I'm behind him 100%.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

57 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

This is my main concern.  I just don't think we need to do anything to make us look anymore like the peasants of CFB that we have become.  

50 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's a decent argument. I just don't really see how it can get that much worse, as long as we don't add a new designation to FBS and FCS. 

I can somewhat agree with both points of view. We are coming down the channel between Scylla and Charybdis.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,728
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The AAC commissioner has been adamant that the conference will never support nor participate in a G5 playoff. 

Good!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

54 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:
56 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I'm behind him 100%.  

Yeah, I agree. I don't see how a G5 playoff fits the strategy for AAC.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

I'd watch it. As far as TV goes, are the FCS  playoffs not televised?

Do you watch the FCS playoffs? I will flip through but have never watched those games front to back. I know TV will televise, that's why my question is what will TV pay. My guess is FCS doesn't get paid much in the grand scheme and a G5 playoff would get not much more than that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

15 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

Do you watch the FCS playoffs? I will flip through but have never watched those games front to back. I know TV will televise, that's why my question is what will TV pay. My guess is FCS doesn't get paid much in the grand scheme and a G5 playoff would get not much more than that.

Don't watch the FCS playoffs because I don't have a dog in the hunt.

And I misread your tv comment. Thought you were questioning if they would be televised at all. I do fully realize that it wouldn't be some huge payday but it may be a better payday than what we have now and playing a CUSA team in a playoff game would have more juice than playing a CUSA team in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I bet FCS playoffs get fewer viewers than the Lawn Mower bowl. I don't know the answer but segregating ourselves into the G5 will have negative impacts on the program including lessened alumnis, student and community involvement (and yes it can be worse).

11 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

I bet FCS playoffs get fewer viewers than the Lawn Mower bowl. I don't know the answer but segregating ourselves into the G5 will have negative impacts on the program including lessened alumnis, student and community involvement (and yes it can be worse).

Quick comparison from the first article I found about FCS ratings.

FCS Championship Down

• The North Dakota State/Jacksonville State FCS national championship game scored 1.4 million viewers on ESPN2 last Saturday afternoon, off 7% from NDSU/Illinois State last year (1.44M to 1.35M) but up 9% from NDSU/Towson in 2014 (1.2M). Outside of an NFL Wild Card Game, the Bison’s fourth-straight title was the most-watched sporting event on the ESPN family of networks last weekend. (via SBD)

All-American Bowl Sees Slight Bump

• Last Saturday’s U.S. Army All-American Bowl had a 0.9 final rating and 1.4 million viewers on NBC, flat in ratings and up 4% in viewership from last year (0.9, 1.3M), but down 18% and 19%, respectively, from 2014 (1.1, 1.7M). The 0.9 rating is tied as the game’s lowest since moving to NBC in 2004. (via SBD)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/01/pga-tour-ratings-tournament-champions-nbc-golf-channel-all-american-bowl-fcs-national-championship/

Just now, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Quick comparison from the first article I found about FCS ratings.

FCS Championship Down

• The North Dakota State/Jacksonville State FCS national championship game scored 1.4 million viewers on ESPN2 last Saturday afternoon, off 7% from NDSU/Illinois State last year (1.44M to 1.35M) but up 9% from NDSU/Towson in 2014 (1.2M). Outside of an NFL Wild Card Game, the Bison’s fourth-straight title was the most-watched sporting event on the ESPN family of networks last weekend. (via SBD)

All-American Bowl Sees Slight Bump

• Last Saturday’s U.S. Army All-American Bowl had a 0.9 final rating and 1.4 million viewers on NBC, flat in ratings and up 4% in viewership from last year (0.9, 1.3M), but down 18% and 19%, respectively, from 2014 (1.1, 1.7M). The 0.9 rating is tied as the game’s lowest since moving to NBC in 2004. (via SBD)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016/01/pga-tour-ratings-tournament-champions-nbc-golf-channel-all-american-bowl-fcs-national-championship/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/12/college-football-bowl-ratings-espn-st-petersburg-viewership-down-marshall-uconn/

Viewership for the St. Petersburg Bowl sank from last year’s record high.

stpetebowlogoSaturday’s Marshall/Connecticut St. Petersburg Bowl drew 2.4 million viewers on ESPN, down 27% from N.C. State/UCF on a Friday night last year (3.3M) but up 89% from ECU/Ohio on a Monday afternoon in 2013 (1.3M). Ratings were not immediately available.

The Thundering Herd’s win ranks fourth out of the eight editions of the St. Petersburg Bowl (dates back to 2008), behind last year, Louisville/Southern Miss in 2010 (3.0M) and Rutgers/UCF in 2009 (2.5M).

Of the sixteen bowl games on ESPN thus far (through Monday), the St. Petersburg Bowl ranks fourth in viewership — behind Saturday’s three other bowls on the network, the Heart of Dallas (2.6M), Independence (3.4M) and Foster Farms (4.0M).