• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, Azmodi said:

You just called USF and UCF Mid-Majors. Sorry but, we are not Mid-Majors and even though I hate UCF, I would never call them Mid-Majors as they are in our conference. By calling them Mid-Majors, you infer that we are Mid-Majors. A true Bulls Fan would never do this at any point or for any reason. We may suck at Men's Basketball but, we suck at the highest level of the sport (Non-professional). USF is not a Mid Major at anything. 

Um, lets slow down and take our green and gold glasses off and step away from the kool aid for a minute. Acceptance is the first step, we are a mid major school in SPORTS!! I love my university more than anyone and I'm so proud to be an alumni, but at this moment in time we are a mid major whether we like it or not. If we don't accept and realize where we are, we can't progress. We are not in a P5 conference, our undefeated conference champion did not make the CFP and we can't get more than 30k in our stadium without playing a P5 school. With that said, we have the potential to be a major school, large student body, rapidly improving academics, great impact on a major city, great recruiting area and large TV market. We need to focus on where we are and where we want to be and continue to work toward our goal. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

16 minutes ago, michibull said:

Um, lets slow down and take our green and gold glasses off and step away from the kool aid for a minute. Acceptance is the first step, we are a mid major school in SPORTS!! I love my university more than anyone and I'm so proud to be an alumni, but at this moment in time we are a mid major whether we like it or not. If we don't accept and realize where we are, we can't progress. We are not in a P5 conference, our undefeated conference champion did not make the CFP and we can't get more than 30k in our stadium without playing a P5 school. With that said, we have the potential to be a major school, large student body, rapidly improving academics, great impact on a major city, great recruiting area and large TV market. We need to focus on where we are and where we want to be and continue to work toward our goal. 

I agree with your points as they relate to a mid-major in football at this point with the potential to be a major.  In other sports I believe we are a "major" 

12 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

Plus the argument is lost when Auburn lost to UCF. That same Auburn team that beat both Bama & UGA. UCF got Auburn’s attention when Killings called out the SEC by saying that their speed is no match to UCF. Auburn let the SEC down as UCF pretty much had their way with them even when Milton was not playing well in 1st half. USF gave UCF a better game. SEC didn’t impress me much. Just saying 

Yeah, because we know small schools or mid majors can't catch a major team off guard or not motivated. I suppose that Jacksonville State beating Ole Miss in 2010, Georgia Southern over Florida in 2013, Appalachian State over Michigan in 2007, oh and let's not forget McNeese State beating USF in 2013, those were all major schools right? Give me a break. The reasons UCiF could pass is because their front line was good against AAC opponents, Alabama would destroy that line. They got a team in Auburn whose whole hopes and dreams were taken away by the playoff committee, why would they be motivated or care to play anymore games after that, let alone a UCiF team. We seen how the Texas Tech fans viewed us, you don't think that players feel the same way. These are kids, not robots; I refuse to think any intelligent person would think UCiF got Auburns best effort. I don't like sounding negative, but some people need a dose of reality. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I agree with your points as they relate to a mid-major in football at this point with the potential to be a major.  In other sports I believe we are a "major" 

I'm totally with you on that. I think we have phenomenal athletic teams. We are major players in most sports. It helps a lot in the non football and basketball worlds, most conferences are on a more level playing field. There is too large of a gap in the football conference world that doesn't exist else where in college sports. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

10 minutes ago, michibull said:

Yeah, because we know small schools or mid majors can't catch a major team off guard or not motivated. I suppose that Jacksonville State beating Ole Miss in 2010, Georgia Southern over Florida in 2013, Appalachian State over Michigan in 2007, oh and let's not forget McNeese State beating USF in 2013, those were all major schools right? Give me a break. The reasons UCiF could pass is because their front line was good against AAC opponents, Alabama would destroy that line. They got a team in Auburn whose whole hopes and dreams were taken away by the playoff committee, why would they be motivated or care to play anymore games after that, let alone a UCiF team. We seen how the Texas Tech fans viewed us, you don't think that players feel the same way. These are kids, not robots; I refuse to think any intelligent person would think UCiF got Auburns best effort. I don't like sounding negative, but some people need a dose of reality. 

Taken away by the playoff committee? For God's sake, they lost in the SEC championship game, they lost their dreams on their own, no one took it from them. The travesty was Alabama playing no one all year, only having to get up for the Iron Bowl, LOSING the Iron bowl, and then all they had to do was get up for the playoff. 

Besides, the motivation argument is zilch. Auburn came back to take the lead. UCF got Auburn's best effort and still won. 

And quit with the G5-FCS comparisons. G5 schools, particularly in the American, beat so-called P5 schools on a regular basis. Only the top 5-10 FCS schools can beat an FBS school, and usually it's the likes of UMass, not Michigan. 

Edited by bullsbucsfan426
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Taken away by the playoff committee? For God's sake, they lost in the SEC championship game, they lost their dreams on their own, no one took it from them. The travesty was Alabama playing no one all year, only having to get up for the Iron Bowl, LOSING the Iron bowl, and then all they had to do was get up for the playoff. 

Besides, the motivation argument is zilch. Auburn came back to take the lead. UCF got Auburn's best effort and still won. 

And quit with the G5-FCS comparisons. G5 schools, particularly in the American, beat so-called P5 schools on a regular basis. Only the top 5-10 FCS schools can beat an FBS school, and usually it's the likes of UMass, not Michigan. 

I agree with you that Auburn lost t themselves, my point is just that they had nothing else to play for. In terms of motivation, we'll just have to agree to disagree, and that's fine because we don't know how the team felt or thought. 

Yeah, G5 conferences beat P5 teams regularly, I agree, but that wasn't my point. My whole piont was that G5 schools are the mid majors of football and even schools below them can beat P5, so just because a G5 school beat Auburn doesn't mean they're major, you kind of helped my point in the fact that any team can beat any team on any given Saturday, it still doesn't make them something they're not. P5 = Major Conference/team and G5 = Mid Major Confernece/team. Money walks, BS talks. There is a reason we want to joint the Big 12 or any P5 conference and it not because we can beat a P5 team regularly. If we were a Major, would we be begging the Big 12 to join, NOPE!!

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Anyone who says Auburn wasn’t motivated is just regurgitating ESPN talking points. Anyone who watched the game and their near comeback, block fg, running back throwing defenders off, d linemen body slamming UCFs running back, etc. would not share the opinion that Auburn wasn’t motivated to play. I think Auburn is just a very different team outside of their home stadium. They were 3-4 when not playing at home. I honestly think Alabama offense with Hurts was nothing special so not surprised they could lose to Auburn. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I can't see a team not being motivated on the field.  Especially a large, successful program like Auburn.  But I could see the way they plan and prepare being effected.  Going from the SEC championship game and a playoff appearance to a Peach Bowl appearance against UCF could be demoralizing.   Coaches could have used more time working with returning players for next year as opposed to fully preparing for UCF.  Doesn't minimize UCF's win in my opinion, but something to consider.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Bowls games that don't matter are a crap shoot. Just consider this, did a team that was basically the same, improve that much in a year from getting blown out by something called Arkansas State to winning a "national championship"? There is no way both those Peach Bowl teams were on the same level emotionally and the Kanigits were definitely good enough to take advantage.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,732
  • Days Won:  0

The mid-major label for USF football is an insult and simply is not accurate. Not every college football team in a so-called "P5" conference should be anointed as a "major" program just because they happen to be in the Big Whatever Conference. Conference affiliation is certainly not the sole criteria for determining the level of "major" to assign to a program, so can we please dispense with the generalization that USF is a mid-major football program solely because we are in a so-called "G5" conference. I submit that any FBS program in the top 25 is automatically a major program.