• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Sports 56 Middays Interview: Mike Aresco

American Athletic Conference logo

The commissioner of the American Athletic Conference Mike Aresco joins Greg and Eli to discuss UCF claiming a national championship, perception of the American Athletic Conference, and more.

http://sports56whbq.com/shows/sports-56-middays/174-sports-56-middays-interview-mike-aresco

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, Governor Rick Scott issued a proclamation declaring the University of Central Florida Knights football team as national champions in Florida after their undefeated, 13-0 season. The UCF Knights beat the Auburn Tigers 34-27 in the Peach Bowl on New Years Day. This season, the Auburn Tigers beat both the Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide, who are playing in the last game of the College Football Playoff. To view the proclamation, see below or click HERE.

Governor Rick Scott said, “Florida is home to the country’s best college football, and this season, UCF proved to the world that they can beat any team. By having a perfect season and beating the only team that defeated both Alabama and Georgia this season, the UCF Knights are clearly champions. I wish both teams good luck tonight in Atlanta. Charge On.”

NATIONAL CHAMPION UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS

WHEREAS, Florida is home to the country’s best college football, having claimed 11 national championships between the University of Florida, the University of Miami and Florida State University; and

WHEREAS, the University of Central Florida (UCF) Knights won the American Athletic Conference Championship by beating the Memphis Tigers, 62-55, on December 2, 2017; and

WHEREAS, on January 1, 2018, the UCF Knights completed an undefeated football season by beating the Auburn Tigers in the Peach Bowl, 34-27; and

WHEREAS, the UCF Knights are the only undefeated team in NCAA Division I football this season; and

WHEREAS, on November 11, 2017, the Auburn Tigers, who lost to the UCF Knights, beat the Georgia Bulldogs, 40-17; and

WHEREAS, on November 25, 2017, the Auburn Tigers, who lost to the UCF Knights, beat the Alabama Crimson Tide, 26-14; and

WHEREAS, the College Football Playoff final on Monday, January 8, 2018, is between the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Georgia Bulldogs, who both lost to the Auburn Tigers, who lost to the UCF Knights;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Scott, Governor of the State of Florida, do hereby proclaim that the UCF Knights are this season’s best college football team and will be recognized as the 2017 College Football National Champions in Florida.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of Florida to be affixed at Tallahassee, the Capital, this 8th day of January, in the year two thousand eighteen.

Governor

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

From their wiki page. 

The No. 12 ranked Knights faced No. 7 ranked Auburn, and defeated them 34–27 to close out their undefeated season with a 13–0 record. After the win, UCF athletic director Danny White proclaimed UCF to be the NCAA FBS Division Football national champion. The claim sparked considerable controversy and debate over whether the College Football Playoff should be expanded.

What are we calling considerable? From what I can tell, most analysts just gave this one thirty minute segment (if that), decided that this would have no weight in the expansion discussion and moved on.

Its like they are reaching for apples to make this seem like a good idea. 

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  68
  • Days Won:  0

Not much of a chance for the AAC or G5.  After an AAC team goes 13-0 and does not get in then the odds seem about right.  Where is the access outside of the P5?  

Next year’s @CFBPlayoff title odds via @LVSuperBook: Bama 5/2 Clem 6/1 UGA, OhSt 8/1 Mich 10/1 PSU 12/1 OU 18/1 Aub, Miami, MichSt, Tex, Wis 25/1 LSU, Wash 30/1 FSU, ND, Stan, USC, VT, WVU 40/1 A&M 50/1 UF, Ore, TCU 60/1 Ariz, Boise, KSU Mizzou, NCSt, OkSt, UCLA, Utah, Wake 100/1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, 86atlbull said:

Not much of a chance for the AAC or G5.  After an AAC team goes 13-0 and does not get in then the odds seem about right.  Where is the access outside of the P5?  

Next year’s @CFBPlayoff title odds via @LVSuperBook: Bama 5/2 Clem 6/1 UGA, OhSt 8/1 Mich 10/1 PSU 12/1 OU 18/1 Aub, Miami, MichSt, Tex, Wis 25/1 LSU, Wash 30/1 FSU, ND, Stan, USC, VT, WVU 40/1 A&M 50/1 UF, Ore, TCU 60/1 Ariz, Boise, KSU Mizzou, NCSt, OkSt, UCLA, Utah, Wake 100/1

Odds are not a prediction of outcome. They're designed to suck bettors in and Boise is the only non-P5 team the casual bettor knows and/or cares about. That being said, even if there were a prediction of chance a particular team wins the national title, I still wouldn't see the problem in Boise being the only non-P5 team on the list. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Boise out of conference schedule next year is Troy, BYU, UConn, and Oklahoma State. Even if they run the table and Oklahoma State is a top 4 team they won’t make the CFP playoff. It’s a suckers bet. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, 86atlbull said:

That's gotta be Fake News. The defending champs don't have as good of odds as a 7-3 BSU team according to Vegas? Has LV been in a media blackout for the past week?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Gov. Scott Proclaims UCF Knights Football National Champions in Florida

So far, no one whose I opinion I really respect as taken this tomfoolery seriously .....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So far, no one whose I opinion I really respect as taken this tomfoolery seriously .....

You may say so.  Still, I  am glad that for once they are angering people which, quite frankly, I cannot stand (like that wimpy guy on the ESECPN network).  The fact that so many want to dismiss them is hilarious.  If the Pee Five were so much better, they would ignore this. 

Edited by Mission9
sentence structure
  • Upvote 2