• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scheduling a 12 game for 2017

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

I get that we want the bye week, but why are we not just playing UMass at home on October 7th instead of them playing FIU on another date?  Then our full original schedule would be intact.

I think all schools in states touching the Gulf and those south of DC touching the Atlantic should schedule their first game in week 0 along with the Hawaii schools' exemption.  That way we would all have 2 bye weeks to work with in the event of weather issues.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

20 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Seriously? Everyone wants some USF 

Image result for everybody wants some I want some too

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

10 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

The subject is moot.

Neither USF nor GT wanted a replacement game.

The question is why doesn't USF want another game? 

If San Diego St. and USF both go undefeated, and USF ends up playing one less game, then USF has no shot of playing a NY6 game. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

4 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

Presumably, USF thinks it is more important to keep the bye week for conference play.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

8 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

If San Diego St. and USF both go undefeated, and USF ends up playing one less game, then USF has no shot of playing a NY6 game. 

If SDSU goes undefeated they will have wins over Arizona State, Stanford, Boise State, Air Force, and then a win in the MWC Championship Game (presumably over BSU, AFA, or CSU). 

If USF goes undefeated our most significant  wins will have been over Illinois, Houston, Temple, and UCF, and then a win the the AAC Champtionship Game (presumably over Memphis or Houston). The only scenario I can conceive in which we would qualify for the NY6 over an undefeated SDSU would be if we beat an undefeated or 1 loss Memphis in the AACCG.

I really don't know how much a 12th game would benefit us in that scenario, unless we beat a Georgia Tech team that was able to pull at least 2 upsets out of their games against Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, or Georgia. They already lost to Tennessee. So, even if they won all of their games against unranked teams, pulled two big upsets to ranked teams, and lost to us, they would be 8-4 overall. Most likely, they will end up being a 7-4 team, so a loss to us would put them at 7-5. I'm not certain that would be enough, especially if Stanford is able to figure things out and finish 9-3 or 8-4 overall. 11-0 USF with a game cancelled against lowly UMASS versus 12-0 with a game against any potential opponent not named Georgia Tech will look equally attractive to the selection committee. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

If SDSU goes undefeated they will have wins over Arizona State, Stanford, Boise State, Air Force, and then a win in the MWC Championship Game (presumably over BSU, AFA, or CSU). 

If USF goes undefeated our most significant  wins will have been over Illinois, Houston, Temple, and UCF, and then a win the the AAC Champtionship Game (presumably over Memphis or Houston). The only scenario I can conceive in which we would qualify for the NY6 over an undefeated SDSU would be if we beat an undefeated or 1 loss Memphis in the AACCG.

And before we have any chiming in from the peanut gallery, this scenario would have held true no matter what the margins of victory had been for the first 3 games (unless we had triple digit scores). I don't think we've ever been totally in control of our destiny this year. SDSU and Boise both were receiving votes in the pre-season AP and wasn't hard to look at their ooc scheds and realize if either ran the table, it was possibly going to be a close race with us.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, Leviathan said:

Where are you getting this idea that it will take at least three weeks to schedule a game? If the teams want to play it's not that difficult to schedule a game with an in-state school or GT. 

Ha!  Have you ever tried to get lawyers to agree on even the most simple of contracts?  This doesn't happen that quickly, my friend.  Conference opponents have all sorts of contracts already in place.  A contract between two non-conference opponents with as much money as would be at stake here is no simple matter.

Edited by Who'sYourData?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, Mama_Bull said:

The subject is moot.

You and I both unfortunately know this subject will be alive on TBP right up through 10/7.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

Think the plan now is to go 13-0 this season, 14-0 next season and then 15-0 in year three of the CCS plan. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

28 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Ha!  Have you ever tried to get lawyers to agree on even the most simple of contracts?  This doesn't happen that quickly, my friend.  Conference opponents have all sorts of contracts already in place.  A contract between two non-conference opponents with as much money as would be at stake here is no simple matter.

Yes blame the lawyers.