• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Worst Thing about the Game?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

The runs up the middle, the lack of motions and hurry up pressure.  We used to use tempo as a weapon.  Our last coach used to go for the throat after a turnover to break the other team.  I think we ran up the middle and were stuffed.

The defense impressed me greatly.  Sort of reminded me of our defenses of old.  

Special teams needs to get their act together.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

The O line was like a sieve most of the first half.  Some just awful plays there.  Special teams was atrocious as well for much of the game.  Really happy with improvement on the D, but they can't save us if ST plays like that all year.  I'll take the W regardless!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

I wasn't so concerned with the slow start. I have been around football at all levels for a long time. In the first game a lot of weird things happen early. 

A few things that are worrisome:

3 of 19 on 3rd down

there seemed to be some miscommunication between the backs and Flowers on the read options  they ran into each other or fighting on the handoff about 5 or 6 times

please stop throwing to Chris Barr.  He cannot catch

no throws to Johnson out of the backfield

Flowers' best long throw has been the post.  Not one ball deep down the middle  

Why were they call designed QB runs up by 3 scores late in the 3rd quarter?

The defense really played pretty well. Really allowed only one drive late in the game with the backups in.  The early scores were short fields.  Not sure what the deal with Hernandez was early (I am guessing first game nerves), but he is a proven, experienced very good punter.  Bizarre that he had a blocked punt and an 18 yarder.

Aside from the first three drives the offense was decent. Not great, but hard to complain about 550 yards or whatever it was.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

It took 3 turnovers to win by 20...

Would have expected a larger spread against this this team with +3 turnover margin. 

Some things on the offense dont don't look good. Hopefully the staff moves away from the vanilla play calling as we get into our conference schedule.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

One thing on offense, I thought this offense had a lot of run-pass opptions in it. I don't recall too much of that.  Seemed like either straight runs or straight up passes. 

Early on I was having Holtz-Daniels flashbacks of making BJ a pocket passer. 

Whatever it is, lets get this motor humming smoothy before Temple.  2 more games to work it out. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

Wilcox and Barr are becoming liabilities.   Nichols was invisible as Nickelback.  Auggie was rusty.  Defensive ends are still lackluster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

The total lack of enthusiasm to start the game.  We will NOT come back from starts like that in conference.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I'm hoping the offensive play calling was intentionally conservative due to the opponent. I'll expect the same next week. Without change, the offense is not going to be able to churn out points like last year. Seemed as if 50% of the playcalls were runs between the tackles. Again, works against San Jose, it won't against a Temple or Navy or UCF. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 hours ago, JoeB said:

Alaka is a Senior Grad Transfer.  I don't think he'll be used much, but tonight we had some WR injuries.  I think he came from Wake Forest?  Glad he caught that one pass though!

Rice university 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

45 minutes ago, FatDaddyBull said:

I'm hoping the offensive play calling was intentionally conservative due to the opponent. I'll expect the same next week. Without change, the offense is not going to be able to churn out points like last year. Seemed as if 50% of the playcalls were runs between the tackles. Again, works against San Jose, it won't against a Temple or Navy or UCF. 

Im thinking that it was conservative because it was San Jose..expecting same this week also.