• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert's Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I read an article this morning that gave me a little concern. It discussed that Gilbert is a proponent of having his players execute without thinking, a process he has termed "mind-muscle memory."  It went on to state the Bulls have no playbook...concerning part to me. It goes on to state that quarterbacks have said Gilbert diagrams a play, and they have to copy it down themselves. Not having a playbook to take home & study is a bit concerning for me especially with our issues in the past being out of sync on offense and penalties. Learning a new offense is hard enough, but going off of muscle memory from a few practices with a new offensive coordinator is a whole other story. 

For those of you who have been fortunate enough to watch practice or attend Spring game, did you see any cause for concern with mixing up plays or timing issues?

Edited by BullFan98

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So instead of handing them the play on a piece of paper, he diagrams it and then they have to write it themselves? That's called teaching and it's why no one just hands their students a sheet of notes past 3rd grade.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Not worried at all. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

12 minutes ago, JTrue said:

So instead of handing them the play on a piece of paper, he diagrams it and then they have to write it themselves? That's called teaching and it's why no one just hands their students a sheet of notes past 3rd grade.

Definitely has to be his goal. Aside from the QB, I don't know any player that has a playbook reference in the huddle anyway. So it's a memory game either way, he's just choosing a different way to get it in their heads.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

When you write something down, its imprinted better in your brain.  I like the teaching method, as JTrue said.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Plenty of time to teach on the practice field.  Thats a good way to learn.  There is only so many routes a receiver can run.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

Not thinking yet acting is a habit. When habits are ingrained you will do things without conscious thought. His goal is to make certain actions occur without much conscious thought. This is also a philosophy of Tony Dungy. Basically you teach certain triggers for certain actions, if you see this then do that... eventually once it is engrained it will be automatic and happen really fast without thought. When the game "slows down" for a player it means the player is doing more through automatic habit and requires less conscious thinking.

Headline: "Game starts to slow down for Packers QB Brett Hundley"

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/13/game-starts-to-slow-down-for-packers-qb-brett-hundley/

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

I've sort of been doing some of this myself....I've been training my mind to watch Bulls football without Marlon Mack.  I'm ingraining a habit that when the Bulls' offense runs onto the field and my eyes don't see #5, I quickly pick up accompanying beverage and pull the trigger baby.

:icon_drink:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Also, most plays are called out with formation and then description of the run and or routes.  A play book really isn't needed if you know the running or passing tree.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Not worried. We have a whole season of cupcakes to get this offense down pat for 2018.