• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

I can't remember ... But i know I remember 

You're not testifying before Congress, but that line seems to work these days. :GoBulls:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

On 7/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, Calibull said:

the reason Holtz didn't have anything to work with because he kicked some of the best guys off the team and others transferred.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:57 PM, Triple B said:

You'll have to refresh my spotty memory on these "best guys" Skip kicked off the team and the ones who transferred. I only recall 2 leaving, Mitchell for the draft before Holtz got here and Mike Ford kicked himself off the team. Who am I missing?

14 hours ago, Calibull said:

Leslie Stirrups was kicked off the team, Mike Ford, and another RB... I can't remember his name but I'm sure it's pretty easy to google... I also remember there were like 3 or 4 transfers. I think they were all freshman and soph... I can't remember all that from 2009-2010.  But i know I remember there were a few.  No coincidence the more CJL players that left, the worst we got.  But yeah... there were some. 

Stirrups and Ford were trainwrecks that kicked themselves off the team. Jamar Taylor also kicked himself off the team. Couldn't find any "best" guys that Holtz just kicked off the team. Personnel losses that I found his first year, after he got the job, were injury related and, not surprisingly, academics related. A legit complaint about Holtz was recruiting, even though he may have been playing under a little different set of rules than the the previous regime, but the intimation that he ran off a bunch of good players is pretty much indefensible.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Facts are for suckers.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, Calibull said:

Leslie Stirrups was kicked off the team, Mike Ford, and another RB... I can't remember his name but I'm sure it's pretty easy to google... I also remember there were like 3 or 4 transfers. I think they were all freshman and soph... I can't remember all that from 2009-2010.  But i know I remember there were a few.  No coincidence the more CJL players that left, the worst we got.  But yeah... there were some. 

Mike Ford got arrested for the "nth" time and was kicked off the team. Jamar Taylor quit football. We had no WR's other than Bogan. Landi had to play WR out of shear necessity. Walk on Stephen Bravo-Brown and Joel Miller both played. Lindsey Lamar also was turned into a WR because there were none. Sterling Griffin got hurt the first time. That offense was not very good. 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

18 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Facts are for suckers.

That's a fact

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

40 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Stirrups and Ford were trainwrecks that kicked themselves off the team. Jamar Taylor also kicked himself off the team. Couldn't find any "best" guys that Holtz just kicked off the team. Personnel losses that I found his first year, after he got the job, were injury related and, not surprisingly, academics related. A legit complaint about Holtz was recruiting, even though he may have been playing under a little different set of rules than the the previous regime, but the intimation that he ran off a bunch of good players is pretty much indefensible.

This delusion that Holtz took over a juggernaut is also pretty much indefensible.  Leavitt, like pretty much every year, had a bunch of hit or miss kids and was always juggling the pieces trying to make lemonade out of lemons.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Check back on the records and Leavitt teams did not dominate year in and year out like some want to believe.  

Leavitt did a great job building the team from nothing.  No one can take that away.  But the desire to blame Holtz for everything bad and believe Leavitt left a dominant team in place when he left is still bewildering after all these years.  I guess the bad memories always fade and we remember the good ones and forget the bad when it comes to lost loves.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I don't think I've ever seen juggernaut or dominant used here to describe any Leavitt squad.  Part of the nostalgia is the fact that they found a way to win with less.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,307
  • Days Won:  10

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don't think I've ever seen juggernaut or dominant used here to describe any Leavitt squad.  Part of the nostalgia is the fact that they found a way to win with less.

Bingo, they were hungry bunch and wanted to prove they were worth something. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

I never think of chlamydia ...

You will when you pee.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

55 minutes ago, JTrue said: