• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF’s Hassan Childs Injured In Overnight Shooting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,525
  • Days Won:  28

Even if he gets past the gun charge the 20 grams of weed he was caught with wont help. I mean geez, guns and weed.....wtf man.... he truly had a false sense of invincibility. Oh well more playing time for Jaymon, Craig Watts and Huggins.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, theman123 said:

Not sure this is true. My only evidence off of the top of my head is Alton Voss. Pretty sure his "clock started ticking" in 2007, and he just finished his final year of eligibility. 

Voss never played a down for us. That might change how his eligibility is calculated. Just going off the NCAA eligibility guidelines from the website.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,685
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, 206BULL said:

From Joeys most recent...

Tampa police gave this account of the incident:

Jovanni Jimenez, 26, was driving east on Skipper Road with his wife and 3-year-old son in the vehicle. He noticed a Chevy Malibu tailgating him and attempting to pass.

Jimenez pulled over into the Eagles Point apartment complex, roughly a mile from the USF campus, to let the vehicle pass. Childs, driving alone in the Malibu, pulled to the passenger side of Jimenez's stopped vehicle.

Jimenez's wife, Jennifer, saw Childs pointing a firearm toward their vehicle but Jovanni Jimenez did not see it, police said.

Jovanni Jimenez continued driving and his wife told him about the firearm. Jimenez, who has a valid concealed weapons permit, removed his gun from his waistband and placed it on the seat next to his leg.

Childs continued to tailgate Jimenez's vehicle and Jimenez again pulled over and stopped his car. Childs pulled to the driver's side of Jimenez's vehicle and pointed a handgun toward Jovanni Jimenez, according to the report.

In fear of his life and his family's life, Jovanni Jimenez fired three rounds at Childs, striking him in the upper right arm, torso and beneath his arm.

Jimenez drove home and immediately phoned 911, the report says.

Childs has an active concealed weapons permit, according to Tampa police. A loaded firearm was recovered from his vehicle. Police also found less than 20 grams of marijuana.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/investigation-continues-in-shooting-of-usf-football-player-hassan-childs/2318035 

To me it sounds like Jiminez did not live there. Also it appears he fled the scene before calling police. 

There has to be more to this. Child's is tailgating and when the slow car gets out of his way he just pulls up next to him waving a gun at a stranger? That just doesn't make a lot of sense to wave a gun around at a stranger without provocation. He must have been high or not in the right mind. 

Also, it's very rare for permit holders to act as irresponsibly as is described here. 

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, theman123 said:

Not sure this is true. My only evidence off of the top of my head is Alton Voss. Pretty sure his "clock started ticking" in 2007, and he just finished his final year of eligibility. 

This is true at the D1 and D1A level.  At lower divisions, and especially non-NCAA schools there may be more flexibility.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

4 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

This is true at the D1 and D1A level.  At lower divisions, and especially non-NCAA schools there may be more flexibility.

At the Division 2 level you only count semesters you are enrolled full time.  In D1 it is a running clock regardless of whether or not you are in school.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

5 hours ago, 206BULL said:

From Joeys most recent...

Tampa police gave this account of the incident:

Jovanni Jimenez, 26, was driving east on Skipper Road with his wife and 3-year-old son in the vehicle. He noticed a Chevy Malibu tailgating him and attempting to pass.

Jimenez pulled over into the Eagles Point apartment complex, roughly a mile from the USF campus, to let the vehicle pass. Childs, driving alone in the Malibu, pulled to the passenger side of Jimenez's stopped vehicle.

Jimenez's wife, Jennifer, saw Childs pointing a firearm toward their vehicle but Jovanni Jimenez did not see it, police said.

Jovanni Jimenez continued driving and his wife told him about the firearm. Jimenez, who has a valid concealed weapons permit, removed his gun from his waistband and placed it on the seat next to his leg.

Childs continued to tailgate Jimenez's vehicle and Jimenez again pulled over and stopped his car. Childs pulled to the driver's side of Jimenez's vehicle and pointed a handgun toward Jovanni Jimenez, according to the report.

In fear of his life and his family's life, Jovanni Jimenez fired three rounds at Childs, striking him in the upper right arm, torso and beneath his arm.

Jimenez drove home and immediately phoned 911, the report says.

Childs has an active concealed weapons permit, according to Tampa police. A loaded firearm was recovered from his vehicle. Police also found less than 20 grams of marijuana.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/investigation-continues-in-shooting-of-usf-football-player-hassan-childs/2318035 

To me it sounds like Jiminez did not live there. Also it appears he fled the scene before calling police. 

First, somebody's tailgating me, I'm not sure I'd cross traffic to pull over to let him pass, putting my family nearest him. Second, after his wife tells him he has a gun, the last thing you'd think one would do is pull over again, further jeopardizing your family's safety .... unless you were a macho hot head, with a gun, looking for trouble. Childs ****** up big time and is probably going to pay for it, besides the wounds, but I'm guessing JJ ends up killing someone or getting killed himself somewhere down the line.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

At the Division 2 level you only count semesters you are enrolled full time.  In D1 it is a running clock regardless of whether or not you are in school.

I think the mormon's can take time off for mission trips and military kids can come back after active duty and return to play.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

I think the mormon's can take time off for mission trips and military kids can come back after active duty and return to play.

12.8 Seasons of Competition: Five-Year Rule.
A student-athlete shall not engage in more than four seasons of intercollegiate competition in any one sport (see
Bylaws 17.02.8 and 14.3.3). An institution shall not permit a student-athlete to represent it in intercollegiate
competition unless the individual completes all of his or her seasons of participation in all sports within the time
periods specified below: (Revised: 7/31/14)
12.8.1 Five-Year Rule. A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar
years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum
full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official religious
missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted.
For international students,
service in the armed forces or on an official religious mission of the student’s home country is considered
equivalent to such service in the United States. (Revised: 4/2/10, 7/31/14)
12.8.1.1 Determining the Start of the Five-Year Period. For purposes of starting the count of time under
the five-year rule, a student-athlete shall be considered registered at a collegiate institution (domestic or foreign;
see Bylaw 14.02.5) when the student-athlete initially registers in a regular term (semester or quarter) of an
academic year for a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the institution, and attends the
student’s first day of classes for that term (see Bylaw 12.8.2). (Revised: 7/31/14)
12.8.1.2 Service Exceptions to the Five-Year Rule. Time spent in the armed services, on official religious
missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government is excepted from the application of the
five-year rule. Among such services that qualify a student-athlete for an extension of the five-year rule are: (Revised:
4/2/10, 7/31/14)
(a) Military Sea Transport Service;
(b) Peace Corps; or
(c) Service as a conscientious objector ordered by the Selective Service Commission (or the equivalent authority
in a foreign nation) in lieu of active military duty.

2016-2017 NCAA Division I Manual

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Even if he gets past the gun charge the 20 grams of weed he was caught with wont help. I mean geez, guns and weed.....wtf man.... he truly had a false sense of invincibility. Oh well more playing time for Jaymon, Craig Watts and Huggins.

If you're caught with less than 20 grams in Tampa, it is no longer a criminal defense, just a citation that's pretty much similar to a traffic citation. So I don't think that really factors in that much.

Edited by goldenbrahm1996
  • Upvote 1