• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Head Coach Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

COA was such a bum, good luck Illinois. 

Some asst coaches can successfully transition to be a head coach. However some are just good asst coaches and nothing more. COA will be a good asset to Illinois as an assistant.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Okay, maybe it's delusional or just me grasping at straws but I do feel hopeful about our men's bball program!

Two words: Facilities and Funding.

We just couldn't compete for recruits for the longest time because we had the Bar Bender's version of bball facilities when compared to other schools with strong bball.

Stan got us back to the Tourney (and won games!) without facilities and star power while in the Big East -Amazing.

And it's surprising to learn that men's bball makes money. With USF loosening the purse strings, things have gotten much better budget-wise. I mean one thing that still sticks out in my head is recalling how Seth was driving around in his car to recruit while Huggy Bear and Cincy had a recruiting jet... And I think RMC was getting something like 400K a year.

Facilities and Funding could not overcome the Antigua hire. :facepalm:

Now, we are a few more years behind after having facilities and funding (just as if Stan had just been let go but worse). And while the football program's scheduling was greatly impacted by the conference change, men's bball scheduling is still strong. We just need to win to bring in the crowds (and increase the net profit!).

Bottom line: I think there's a lot of upside!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

14 hours ago, FarEastBull said:

With USF loosening the purse strings, things have gotten much better budget-wise.

If we were flying Southwest during the week, the purse strings have not been loosened. From what I understand, not very many charters this last season. Hopefully CBG addressed that in his interview ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

If we were flying Southwest during the week, the purse strings have not been loosened. From what I understand, not very many charters this last season. Hopefully CBG addressed that in his interview ...

Mentioned it before I believe, they take charters only when there are classes the next day. Otherwise they fly commercial.

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Mentioned it before I believe, they take charters only when there are classes the next day. Otherwise they fly commercial.

The Tulsa game was during the week ... which is why I brought it up ... albeit a Thursday so maybe nobody had a class the next day .... regardless, if you're flying charter only when you absolutely have to for school, that's not loosening any purse strings

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

Makes me flash back to high school hoops days at Pasco High in Dade City.  When we won a road game, the bus stopped at McDonald's and we ate.  When we lost a road game, the bus went straight back - with no conversation - to Dade City.  Those weren't purse strings necessarily, but you did sort of get what you earned. :) 

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

When we won a road game, the bus stopped at McDonald's and we ate.

Back then did the sign say "Over 1 thousand served" ... ?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

Don't let what would be cruelty by today's standard throw you off.  I think they were already at the stage of over a billion served at that time.  But probably somewhere over a thousand in Tampa - lost season opener to Jesuit (then next night killed Tampa Catholic). :).  Those QPs w/cheese were nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I'm guessing the staff is now complete.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211166405

I didn't know "director of bo" means video coordinator; it sounded more important.

And it seems like Bartow is not retained.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, FarEastBull said:

I'm guessing the staff is now complete.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211166405

I didn't know "director of bo" means video coordinator; it sounded more important.

And it seems like Bartow is not retained.

First step in scouting is getting that video.