• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best driving route to Birmingham

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

166 is Langford Pkwy, I believe.  That's not a bad route, but really, taking I-75/85 (they are joined together right before you hit downtown) all the way to I-20 is not bad as long as you hit it between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm.  

Traffic in ATL, everywhere, starts at 3 pm, give or take a few minutes.  

We will be hitting downtown right at 4 pm, that is why is was considering a route to bypass the I-85 and I-20 junction and meet I-20 at I-285. Do you think that will be beneficial at 4 pm on a Wednesday? 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

We will be hitting downtown right at 4 pm, that is why is was considering a route to bypass the I-85 and I-20 junction and meet I-20 at I-285. Do you think that will be beneficial at 4 pm on a Wednesday? 

It probably should.  You'll still have a ways to go on 285 north towards I-20 that will have heavy traffic but I think the downtown junction gets much, much worse.  

I'd get on Google Maps around 4 pm today to see what the traffic looks like on that road at that time- chances are it will be the same tomorrow as today.  I live in the northeast suburbs so I never really have a reason to be down in south ATL too often, but I always avoid the downtown connector (75/85) like the plague after 3 pm on weekdays. 

Also, when you start getting into McDonough or so, tune in your radio to AM 750.  They have the best traffic updates of any radio station in Atlanta. 

Edited by GaUSFBull
  • Upvote 1

Also, for those going through Atlanta, traffic on northbound I-75 around the McDonough area (south of ATL) has been a bit dicey since there has been construction going on there for a while.  Georgia highway construction lasts FOREVER.  Check Google Maps routinely after you get through Macon.  

If the traffic is bad there, my advice, unless you hear differently on the radio or Google, is to stick it out ... it usually moves faster than trying to look for an alternate route.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

Also, for those going through Atlanta, traffic on northbound I-75 around the McDonough area (south of ATL) has been a bit dicey since there has been construction going on there for a while.  Georgia highway construction lasts FOREVER.  Check Google Maps routinely after you get through Macon.  

If the traffic is bad there, my advice, unless you hear differently on the radio or Google, is to stick it out ... it usually moves faster than trying to look for an alternate route.  

McDonough, that's the ******* place. Rather loop around Atlanta to the east than go through that stretch again. 

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

McDonough, that's the ******* place. Rather loop around Atlanta to the east than go through that stretch again. 

It's pretty bad.  I'd hate to have to deal with that side of town on a regular basis.  

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,461
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Don't forget to pronounce the name of the town you're staying in tonight correctly.  It's All-BENNY.

In a place called Newman's Bar & Grill. Craziest burger menu I've ever seen. Right now having a Blind Pirate IPA  by Monday Night Brewing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Made the drive up today. Followed da Google and took us off 75 at at Tifton and on 82 for quite a ways. Rarely went more than 5 or 6 mph over the limit and did the limit through those small towns. Just about 8 1/2 hours drive time. We stopped for lunch and prolly 4 or 5 other bathroom breaks making yhe total trip about 9 hrs 20 minutes. Kind of enjoyed getting off the Interstates.

Trust da Google.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

17 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Made the drive up today. Followed da Google and took us off 75 at at Tifton and on 82 for quite a ways. Rarely went more than 5 or 6 mph over the limit and did the limit through those small towns. Just about 8 1/2 hours drive time. We stopped for lunch and prolly 4 or 5 other bathroom breaks making yhe total trip about 9 hrs 20 minutes. Kind of enjoyed getting off the Interstates.

Trust da Google.

Ditto.  Just arrived in Birmingham and took the same route.  We passed the convoy of USF buses on I-75 and threw up the horns.  I'm guessing this was the band and ancillary folks.  Pretty cool!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337
  • Days Won:  0

I'm leaving early tomorrow with the hopes of getting through ATL before 4PM. I've never made this drive before, but I'm not looking forward to it. I'm planning on taking 75N to 20W just to play it safe.Safe travels to all those planning to traveling tomorrow. See you at the game.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

10 hours ago, NCBull said:

Would Eufala me to Birmingham?

If you blow in my ear, I just might!