• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best driving route to Birmingham

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, BullDorado said:

To everyone driving from Tampa/South Florida to Birmingham, which route are you taking? Does anybody have suggestions for a route that avoids Atlanta? All of the direction websites suggest I-75 through Atlanta. I am trying to avoid the traffic.

Go Bulls!

if your on the west coast take 19 all the way up to I 10

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

15 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Google Maps, at last check, has us doing the Tifton to Montgomery route as the fastest.

I can't imagine this would be an enjoyable ride in the slightest bit, except for the drive through Eufaula, which is interesting.  

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,039
  • Days Won:  38

Seriously? No Jade Spa jokes? Truckers are welcome. Maybe you would prefer WESTERN SIZZLIN or Captain D's Seafood. War Magnolia Plantation exit 55.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

I can't imagine this would be an enjoyable ride in the slightest bit, except for the drive through Eufaula, which is interesting.  

Would Eufala me to Birmingham?

32 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Would Eufala me to Birmingham?

LOL

35 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Seriously? No Jade Spa jokes? Truckers are welcome. 

Not only are truckers welcome, but they also have trucker showers. 

Whatever happened to the Big Pig Jig sign at the Vienna/Pitts exit?  

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Working til noon, spending tonight in Albany, Ga. then into B'ham tomorrow.

GO BULLS!

Don't forget to pronounce the name of the town you're staying in tonight correctly.  It's All-BENNY.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

I have some insight on this...My grandparents lived just east of B'ham and I've driven from Tampa to B'ham more times than I can count.  We have driven it several ways over the years and the best way is still up 75 to Atlanta and west on 20.  DON'T go the back way through Albany, Columbus, Phoenix City.  Although it cuts about 30 minutes off the drive it's extremely boring. If you break down in a small town will pay extra since you're an outsider.  Stick to 75 even if the traffic is bad. Timing through Atlanta is critical so get to I-20 before 4pm at the latest.  Drive time from Tampa to B'ham should be about 9 1/2 hours if you hit Atlanta correctly.  I repeat....DON'T go the back way.  Sheriff Buford T. Justice will be looking out for you and you will get a huge speeding ticket. Not worth the hassle.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

11 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

I have some insight on this...My grandparents lived just east of B'ham and I've driven from Tampa to B'ham more times than I can count.  We have driven it several ways over the years and the best way is still up 75 to Atlanta and west on 20.  DON'T go the back way through Albany, Columbus, Phoenix City.  Although it cuts about 30 minutes off the drive it's extremely boring. If you break down in a small town will pay extra since you're an outsider.  Stick to 75 even if the traffic is bad. Timing through Atlanta is critical so get to I-20 before 4pm at the latest.  Drive time from Tampa to B'ham should be about 9 1/2 hours if you hit Atlanta correctly.  I repeat....DON'T go the back way.  Sheriff Buford T. Justice will be looking out for you and you will get a huge speeding ticket. Not worth the hassle.

I have never made the drive myself, but it seems you can bypass some of the downtown traffic nightmares that may occur on I-85 by getting off at Exit 242 and taking 166 west to either Route 29 or I-285 and then heading north to I-20. Ever try this before? 

Edited by BullyPulpit

17 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I have never made the drive myself, but it seems you can bypass some of the downtown traffic nightmares that may occur on I-85 by getting off at Exit 242 and taking 166 west to either Route 29 or I-285 and then heading north to I-20. Ever try this before? 

166 is Langford Pkwy, I believe.  That's not a bad route, but really, taking I-75/85 (they are joined together right before you hit downtown) all the way to I-20 is not bad as long as you hit it between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm.  

Traffic in ATL, everywhere, starts at 3 pm, give or take a few minutes.