• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Best driving route to Birmingham

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

9 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

I have some insight on this...My grandparents lived just east of B'ham and I've driven from Tampa to B'ham more times than I can count.  We have driven it several ways over the years and the best way is still up 75 to Atlanta and west on 20.  DON'T go the back way through Albany, Columbus, Phoenix City.  Although it cuts about 30 minutes off the drive it's extremely boring. If you break down in a small town will pay extra since you're an outsider.  Stick to 75 even if the traffic is bad. Timing through Atlanta is critical so get to I-20 before 4pm at the latest.  Drive time from Tampa to B'ham should be about 9 1/2 hours if you hit Atlanta correctly.  I repeat....DON'T go the back way.  Sheriff Buford T. Justice will be looking out for you and you will get a huge speeding ticket. Not worth the hassle.

Preach. I broke down in south Georgia at night on a Sunday and it is not an amazing time. Seriously thought this car of people were going to whack us a la Nocturnal Animals (spoilers) or Deliverance. If not for all the questionable/shady billboards to distract me on I-75, South Georgia would be a real bummer. Actually, it still is.

I will say I work downtown ATL every day and though I avoid the interstate because I live a mile away from work (hahahaha), I have had to do it sometimes. I agree with you that things should be at least crawling along before 4, but 3:00-3:15 is money. Also stated earlier that one needs to pay attention to the construction south of Atlanta. It's hit or miss. If it's miss, you'll cry in the fetal position, so check those MAPS. Sometimes I fly through it and other times I've been stuck a really long time.

I wonder about doing the 285 bypass to 20 instead if downtown traffic is bad, but I've never tried it to compare times. Unfortunately, you get all the semis on 285. The good news is that when you get past all of that your shining reward is: Alabama.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

In a place called Newman's Bar & Grill. Craziest burger menu I've ever seen. Right now having a Blind Pirate IPA  by Monday Night Brewing.

Nice. Monday Night makes some good stuff.

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

On December 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM, slowdown said:

Going through Atlanta is all about timing. But you can get to BHam about five different ways within 15 minutes of each other. 

Get off 75 in Tifton and take that road through Eufala and into Montgomery and catch the interstate.  

Or get off in Tifton and head towards Auburn and catch the interstate down into Montgomery and then up to BHam.  Or from Auburn take 280 through Sylacauga into Birmingham. 

Or get on I10, get off in Cottondale, up to Dothan then through Troy to Montgomery.

I prefer the last way. 

Leaving at 8am and hoping to avoid atlanta traffic and make the pep rally at 5.

Ive driven through all these and honestly, it's personal preference.  If you can get through ATL before 4pm, then take that way, it's two highways, and very painless, at the highest rate of speed.  

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

I wonder about doing the 285 bypass to 20 instead if downtown traffic is bad, but I've never tried it to compare times. Unfortunately, you get all the semis on 285. The good news is that when you get past all of that your shining reward is: Alabama.

Just like our teams SHINY reward for a 10-2 record...

:/ 

GO BULLS!!! 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

il_fullxfull.1098877757_tgii.jpg

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,461
  • Days Won:  25

I-75 is closed near Tifton, GA.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I-75 is closed near Tifton, GA.

Crazy.  Guess the thing to do is get off on the Eldorado exit and take US 41 north into Tifton to get around it.