• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No, Charlie. Do not slow offense down!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, RaisingFenix said:

Slowing down the offense may mean working on the short-to-intermediate passing game, in order to move the chains and create longer sustained drives. As much fun as it is to have 1-play TD drives, it's not always optimal if the defense is gassed. If Mack or Flowers breaks one to the house, great, but if the D is struggling, it's probably not a great idea to be throwing long bombs that are going to put the D back on the field quickly, either by scoring or going 3-and-out. I'm hoping that's what he's referring to: situational play calling.

Again, why try purposely to have long drawn out drives when you CAN score in a couple plays.  The more plays there are, the more chances something can go wrong.  If we can hit bombs all the time, then why not score.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

8 minutes ago, RaisingFenix said:

Slowing down the offense may mean working on the short-to-intermediate passing game, in order to move the chains and create longer sustained drives

I'm not sure we could have a shorter passing game. I think all he's talking about is maybe using more of the play clock at certain times. we certainly weren't a no huddle, line up and hike the ball team like Chip Kelly's UO teams, I don't think. Once he actually looks at the video maybe he'll realize that and understand that we scored fast, not because of tempo usually, but because of home run plays.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Again, why try purposely to have long drawn out drives when you CAN score in a couple plays.  The more plays there are, the more chances something can go wrong.  If we can hit bombs all the time, then why not score.  

I hear you, and of course if the deep ball is there, we take it. But if we can still be efficient on shorter plays, it would add a new element to our offense. 

If the choice is between scoring fast or not scoring at all, sure, go light speed.  But if we can sustain drives too, all the better. Several times this year, opponents did that to us - converting third down after third down, and it was really frustrating and kept our O off the field.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

I'm not sure we could have a shorter passing game. I think all he's talking about is maybe using more of the play clock at certain times. we certainly weren't a no huddle, line up and hike the ball team like Chip Kelly's UO teams, I don't think. Once he actually looks at the video maybe he'll realize that and understand that we scored fast, not because of tempo usually, but because of home run plays.

Absolutely. We've seen our offense snapping the ball consistently with <5 seconds on the play clock in previous years. It . . . wasn't pretty. Hopefully you're right and that's not Charlie's plan.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

We need to slow down when we need to have some time to resolve our defense issues during the drive.

If our defense forces the turnovers more than what we did this year and we still get 40 points with our slow down offense.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

He's a dumbass for commenting on our team without watching the problems on film and getting to know the players one on one.   Hope this is just a mental lapse.   It is kinda like a doctor going straight to surgery without tests, X-rays,  physical exam.   Honeymoon is over before it began.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

As long as we don't substitute regularly, and we stay no huddle, I see no problem slowing it down a bit 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, HOTbull19 said:

You could argue that part of the reason our defense is bad is because the offense scores so fast and because Willie wasn't a fan of extended drives. If the offense is longer on the field, it helps the defense catch their breaths 

They should only be on the field for thee plays.

3 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Too bad, so sad.  If the offense scores fast, so be it.  Who wouldn't want to score fast if you can.  When you lengthen drives, there's more chance something can go wrong (turnovers, penalties, etc.)

The whole philosophy of bend but don't break. Give the offense a chance to screww up 

2 hours ago, BullAdrian said:

We need to slow down when we need to have some time to resolve our defense issues during the drive.

If our defense forces the turnovers more than what we did this year and we still get 40 points with our slow down offense.

Again, three plays. Coach the defense and leave the offense alone.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, RaisingFenix said:

situational play calling.

Yes!  this wasn't Taggart's strength at times

Edited by HOTbull19

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

TDS had a great write-up about this today. We're not actually a "fast" team. We're a "big play" team. Removing that element from the offense would be stupid. However, CWT was terrible at getting a lead and not being able to run out the clock; we'd then go 3-and-out, and our **** defense would let up a TD the following drive. Thus making the game closer than it should've been. Happened almost every game. I'd be happy to see that crap end under CST.

• Upvote 1