• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No, Charlie. Do not slow offense down!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Getting tired already of Coach Strong talking about slowing down.  The offense does not need to be screwed with.  Leave it alone Charlie.  You have one of the most explosive offenses in the country and you want to place shackles on them.  Fix the defense, fine.  But, not at the expense of the offense.  I want to go even faster and score even more. 

Stop saying you want to slow down the offense, Coach!  Let them go! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

I think he was just joking. He won't adjust a winning formula. If you can score on every play, then do it!!!! If I can recall, Teddy was also putting points on the board for UL during his time there. 

1 minute ago, corruptdoctor23 said:

I think he was just joking. He won't adjust a winning formula. If you can score on every play, then do it!!!! If I can recall, Teddy was also putting points on the board for UL during his time there. 

I went and looked at Louisville's stats when Teddy was there, and although they were scoring OK, they weren't scoring at USF's rate.  Nowhere near what you would think they were.  In their BCS winning season where they beat Florida in a bowl, they averaged 31 points a game and had 2 games where they scored more than 40 points.  That's it.  The next season where they lost to UCF, they averaged 35 points a game (and that was skewed by a 72 point outburst against FIU).  Nowhere near the level USF scored at this year.    

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Besides the one joking comment at the press conference, has Strong continued to say he was slowing the offense down?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

I agree he shouldn't mess with the offense for at least until this next year is done.....Flowers Is maximized with the no huddle. 

But he may be in line in the thinking that our D is bad because of how quickly they are on the field every game. I just think the defense needs to be coached better. 

26 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Besides the one joking comment at the press conference, has Strong continued to say he was slowing the offense down?

Only every time he gets interviewed.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

Slowing down the offense may mean working on the short-to-intermediate passing game, in order to move the chains and create longer sustained drives. As much fun as it is to have 1-play TD drives, it's not always optimal if the defense is gassed. If Mack or Flowers breaks one to the house, great, but if the D is struggling, it's probably not a great idea to be throwing long bombs that are going to put the D back on the field quickly, either by scoring or going 3-and-out. I'm hoping that's what he's referring to: situational play calling.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, HOTbull19 said:

You could argue that part of the reason our defense is bad is because the offense scores so fast and because Willie wasn't a fan of extended drives. If the offense is longer on the field, it helps the defense catch their breaths 

Too bad, so sad.  If the offense scores fast, so be it.  Who wouldn't want to score fast if you can.  When you lengthen drives, there's more chance something can go wrong (turnovers, penalties, etc.)

• Upvote 2