• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No, Charlie. Do not slow offense down!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

Every offensive play is designed to score a touchdown.  It just so happens, we are so athletic that we actually succeed at that quite a bit. 

I don't think Taggart expected to score on some of those plays but the players just made the other team look like it was standing still. 

That is not something you can slow down and is why Taggart got accused of running up the score.  

That being said, we had terrible clock management and we unable to salt games away for some reason.  

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

i back strong 100%.we won nothing with taggert.I understand what he means and i am ok with it.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

As long as he doesn't change up the rhythm much, slowing it a little isn't going to kill our scoring. I do think, though, that the fast rhythm at times really made defenses backpedal so when we see we have them on the ropes and dazed, I hope we'll keep hitting fast so they don't have time to recover. Definitely need to take advantage of Q's familiarity with the offense and let him press.

I think if we can keep our offense mostly the way it is and let Strong amp up the D, we'll be the AAC champs. I'm convinced it would have happened this year if TA would have been able to stay an extra year.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

We had a ton of 3 and outs, especially against the two teams that beat us easily.  We should slow down just a tad and be more efficient on making first downs, eat up the clock and give the defense a time to rest.  This will depend on Flowers being able to hit receivers on short passes, which he seems to struggle on with accuracy.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

10 minutes ago, Bullinchinashop said:

We had a ton of 3 and outs, especially against the two teams that beat us easily.  We should slow down just a tad and be more efficient on making first downs, eat up the clock and give the defense a time to rest.  This will depend on Flowers being able to hit receivers on short passes, which he seems to struggle on with accuracy.  

All of the above can be done without slowing down our pace/rhythm.  The offense just needs to mature a little more and execute and the defense can get it's own rest by getting off the field by not letting teams convert terrible 3rd downs.  There's no reason to mess with the offense when the defense is essentially at rock bottom.  The one thing not being mentioned is that the offense essentially bailed the defense/team out by scoring so much this season.  The defense tried like hell to blow games for us this season but the offense willed us to wins.  The offense has shown it can carry this team to 10 wins the defense has shown it's awful as a unit.  Just let the offense cook and make the defense serviceable and we should win the conference going away.   However if you throw the offense out of rhythm and the defense doesn't improve as much as you would like this team very well could be in the middle of the pack next season....

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

About slowing down the offense: I graduated from USF long before it had a football team. So I adopted my wife's team, Texas Tech, instead and go to all their games. Tech has a fabulous offense, the best that there is, BUT they are now slowing down. The reason is that while a lightening quick offense is a lot of fun to watch, it gives the defense no time to rest. Tech has begun, slowly, to run the ball more in order to allow their defense, ranked 128th, to rest. As a consequence the defense is becoming more effective.  Speed of the offense is not the only reason Tech's defense is horrible, but it is a big factor. Coach Strong, coming from the Big 12, is aware of all this.  Big 12 coaches guide fabulous offenses but do not win national championships.  They are evolving to have more effective defenses and slowing the offense just a bit is a key part of that. I was present in Lubbock when Tech lost to Oklahoma 66 to 59.  A famous game.  Neither team could stop the other. That is what Coach Strong knows.  So, while USF has a very fine offense, there must be balance or the defense will be on the field too long each game.  Take it from a Tech fan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Macmaestro said:

About slowing down the offense: I graduated from USF long before it had a football team. So I adopted my wife's team, Texas Tech, instead and go to all their games. Tech has a fabulous offense, the best that there is, BUT they are now slowing down. The reason is that while a lightening quick offense is a lot of fun to watch, it gives the defense no time to rest. Tech has begun, slowly, to run the ball more in order to allow their defense, ranked 128th, to rest. As a consequence the defense is becoming more effective.  Speed of the offense is not the only reason Tech's defense is horrible, but it is a big factor. Coach Strong, coming from the Big 12, is aware of all this.  Big 12 coaches guide fabulous offenses but do not win national championships.  They are evolving to have more effective defenses and slowing the offense just a bit is a key part of that. I was present in Lubbock when Tech lost to Oklahoma 66 to 59.  A famous game.  Neither team could stop the other. That is what Coach Strong knows.  So, while USF has a very fine offense, there must be balance or the defense will be on the field too long each game.  Take it from a Tech fan.

We ranked 60th nationally in adjusted pace while Texas Tech is 4th.....There's no need to slow down the offense.....

Bottom table far right column is each teams adjusted pace ranking

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It really does not matter what fans want. CCS is going to do what HE feels with give us the best chance to win a conference championship. That being said, if there are "any" changes taking place I don't think it will be the end of the world. This offense can still score on one play at a slower pace. I do hope there are more blitz packages on defense.

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It really does not matter what fans want. CCS is going to do what HE feels with give us the best chance to win a conference championship. That being said, if there are "any" changes taking place I don't think it will be the end of the world. This offense can still score on one play at a slower pace. I do hope there are more blitz packages on defense.

Yup, and coaches aren't always right about what they feel and message boards are for discussing those feelings/changes.  I really do like a lot about CCS and what he brings to the table but there are some definite red flags too.  His game day coaching and his record in his non Bridgewater years definitely raise some eyebrows.  Coaches aren't infallible if they were Saturdays would be boring and this place wouldn't exist.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

16 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yup, and coaches aren't always right about what they feel and message boards are for discussing those feelings/changes.  I really do like a lot about CCS and what he brings to the table but there are some definite red flags too.  His game day coaching and his record in his non Bridgewater years definitely raise some eyebrows.  Coaches aren't infallible if they were Saturdays would be boring and this place wouldn't exist.  

Oh I get that entirely. My point is CCS is going to use the process and tools he has used in the past and based on his professional experience what he feels will give us the best chance. I suspect he could ask all of us "how many conference championships have we won with a very quick offense?" Coming to your second point, yes coaches do fail. If it is not working, will CCS have the fortitude to change, to break away from his past thinking (like Tags did)? Only time will answer if his process will be successful and if not, will he change.