• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What hiring Charlie Strong Means for USF

What a Charlie Strong hire means for USF?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I have seen many positive comments and some detractors regarding a Charlie Strong hire and wanted to break this out from the hiring Charlie thread.

If you feel this is a good, bad, meh hire, post why. Let's get ready to rumble!!

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Next level being conference champion yes power conference no

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

Define next level. 

I bullieve an undefeated season is possible next year. Does that correlate into a CFP spot, no. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

I think there is much to be excited about. For example:

- He is at least an equally capable recruiter as CWT. There is no doubt players are excited about this. DJ has spoken! Expect very little drop off in recruiting and I would predict a bump.

- Here is easily the most accomplished HC USF has ever hired. If the trajectory of HC hires is any indication of USF's future, it's looking bright.

- He turned around and had great seasons at Louisville as HC, that's a fact. Moreover he knows what it takes to win a National Championship and his Gators D was top in the country that year.

- This is a major splash hire which will excite recruits and the fan base. Sports is all about name brand and Charlie Strong helps solidify USF as the next big school which should make the jump. We will pick up more bandwagon fans bc of this and more gator fans as well.

Just off the top of the dome. I imagine others here can add to this list.

Exciting day to be a BULL!!

My thoughts about the upside of Charlie Strong.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  44

Remember Strong stole a lot of good players from from this area, Bridgewater being one of them. He is a great recruiter. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Of the money and assistant pool are what "a big step up" than it shows USF may be going all in on getting into the P5 next round of expansion. Spending like the big boys for too long is probably not possible where we are now. Maybe Texas will do us a favor now that we freed up millions from their books? Since they got Herman they don't need to keep us and Houston in the minors any longer.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016

The future is unclear while CS has shown strength at Louisville, his tenure at Texas was less than sterling. The plus side is that recruiting will be good but his in game management is questionable and, while at Texas, he couldn't seem to get his players on the same page. So we may find ourselves in the same position as we were under CJL, having the talent to compete but not quite putting it all together.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

I think this is the best of the hires we could have made, publicly. Name recognition means a lot in sports. I think almost any coach would be successful for the next couple of years. CCS, the name recognition, and his ability to recruit will should continue to carry USF from the abyss of CSH.

Agree with USFBullrider on the Conference Championship. CCS still has the dilemma of butts in seats, and I think that has a lot to do with the "next level."

BULL STRONG!

FINISH STRONG!

GO BULLS!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

Next level being conference champion yes power conference no

Its pretty clear to me that all USF can do is make the product look and attract as much attention as possible to make the jump to a power conference. 

I can't suggest a better hire that USF could make to accomplish this. Strong has to deliver but this hire blows up everyones screens, locally and nationally. 

This puts USF on every possible P5 expansion list, and the Gators and Noles coaches bums just tightened up.

I could be sipping get he Kool-aid, but this might be the biggest move out of all CFB hires from a PR perspective including CWT going to Oregon.

• Upvote 1