• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What hiring Charlie Strong Means for USF

What a Charlie Strong hire means for USF?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I think this is the best of the hires we could have made, publicly. Name recognition means a lot in sports. I think almost any coach would be successful for the next couple of years. CCS, the name recognition, and his ability to recruit will should continue to carry USF from the abyss of CSH.

Agree with USFBullrider on the Conference Championship. CCS still has the dilemma of butts in seats, and I think that has a lot to do with the "next level."

BULL STRONG!

FINISH STRONG!

GO BULLS!

Great minds!

21 minutes ago, ajusf16 said:

Define next level. 

I bullieve an undefeated season is possible next year. Does that correlate into a CFP spot, no. 

Agree. As it stands now we are rebuilding our reputation and this is a critical component in the current playoff system. But...if next year is as successful as we believe it could be, we would start the polls near top 10 the following year which would reduce our dependence on SOS and rep. 

This would also test Strong, as key players on O would graduate but it appears we have talent in the cupboards.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Great minds!

But fools rarely differ. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

I'm hoping hiring Strong will put some butts in seats; he's a pretty big name so it may inject some more interest amongst the fanbase. It might even generate some interest amongst the casual Tampa sports fans since he was a big deal at Florida.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ajusf16 said:

But fools rarely differ. 

So where are you putting us?

7 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Taggart stated he wanted to be the first African American coach to win a national championship. With the team he left Strong, Strong is closer to playing in the CFP than Taggart is. 

With 13-0 a real possibility, any semblence of a competent defense gives us a shot to be the first program to crash the party. Although ourschedule may limit that opportunity  

While Taggart is quickly gaining respect nationally, but Strong is very well respected and know nationally. He brings more respect to the USF program than we have ever had. 

In my opinion, as it turns out, Taggart leaving and Strong coming on board could be the best possible scenario for the short and medium term of the program. 

With the respect Strong has in the media, among other coaches around the country and by HS coaches and recruits, Harlan needs to turn up the PR machine for Flowers for Heisman and for the program in general. 

Strong is the right guy at the best possible time. 

Agreed!

55 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

If this is true, it could be viewed as bolstering rumors regarding Strong wanting this to be his final destination. Pure speculation on my part, but if I am USF, I know the current CFB environment and how close we are in making the jump. I would push for going all in on this hire as it might be the best chance we get to fortify our case of deserving to be in a power conference.

18 minutes ago, Dogma said:

D*mn...looks like my speculation might be right! If so Strong has already done what a coach at the next level should do; energize our program including those with the money. Big time moves baby!

Looks like Strong wants to become the father of USF football.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

12 minutes ago, ajusf16 said:

But fools rarely differ. 

10 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

So where are you putting us?

“Only a fool can be happy. For happiness consists of two contradictory elements: contentment and pleasure. Enjoy pleasure and you have no contentment; be content and you have no pleasure. For this reason happiness is conceivable only for those who enjoy themselves without thinking that they will always want more and thus be discontented, or for those who are content without thinking that they have no pleasure. Whoever reflects can never be happy, unless he is a fanatic and thus blinded…thus exercising control over his intelligence with his feelings, instead of the other way round”

- Marcellus Emants, A Posthumous Confession

Guest PCBull14

If this was buy, sell, or hold. I'm holding BIG TIME. I am not the biggest fan of this hire, but I hope i'm wrong. I just see the offense tanking next season. We ran some pretty USF specific concepts, hell the whole offense if actually strictly USF. If he stays away from the offense we'll be ok.

Defense we shalt see how that works out. People keep talking about his defense at Florida and Louisville...Well he just came from a conference filled with spread offenses and had a terrible defense every season at Texas. The American will present the same type of offenses. If he couldn't stop them at Texas with 4 and 5 star players, why is going to stop them here?