• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

James Pierce "Jim" Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Don't have to know him to know that the big boosters would have wanted him out for not taking us to the next level. That essentially is what happend when he got **** canned. 

I am still not of the belief that his teams were plateaued. There is always a chance that as recruiting was picking up, we were a year away from the promised land. In 2010 we would have had Daniels coming back, Carlton Mitchell (who left because Leavitt was fired), and a decent defense if I recall. Leavitt's staff was recruiting well.

The 2007, 2008, 2009 collapses can be attributed to injuries by a large part. We were in our infancy as a BCS program and did not have depth. If Grothe doesn't go down in 2009, that team was primed for a BIG season (similar if not better than what we are expecting next year). Daniels did an admirable job. So... if Leavitt wins 8-10 games in 2010 and continues to recruit well and build his program, I think the future was still pretty bright.

Yes, there were those that wanted him out... what a shame that the people with the actual power didn't stand behind him and take his side. But, it worked out, all those "big boosters" are just pouring the money to the program now!

• Upvote 2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, Orlando Bull said:

I am still not of the belief that his teams were plateaued. There is always a chance that as recruiting was picking up, we were a year away from the promised land. In 2010 we would have had Daniels coming back, Carlton Mitchell (who left because Leavitt was fired), and a decent defense if I recall. Leavitt's staff was recruiting well.

The 2007, 2008, 2009 collapses can be attributed to injuries by a large part. We were in our infancy as a BCS program and did not have depth. If Grothe doesn't go down in 2009, that team was primed for a BIG season (similar if not better than what we are expecting next year). Daniels did an admirable job. So... if Leavitt wins 8-10 games in 2010 and continues to recruit well and build his program, I think the future was still pretty bright.

Yes, there were those that wanted him out... what a shame that the people with the actual power didn't stand behind him and take his side. But, it worked out, all those "big boosters" are just pouring the money to the program now!

Don't get me wrong I wanted him to stay but once we got a taste of success there seemed to be a sense of entitlement by some. Yeah I agree, funny how some of those boosters are gone. I think some left once the BE died and some left when ticketing charges changed. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

38 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Don't have to know him to know that the big boosters would have wanted him out for not taking us to the next level. That essentially is what happend when he got **** canned. 

SlapGate was the excuse, not the reason.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

He will be a HC again soon, might be as soon as next year. I'm curious to see if he takes just any job or if he waits for Kstate. One thing about CJL is if him and his family are happy where they are he is much less likely to jump ship than other coaches. Karate is a definite take for him but programs that will open up this off-season may not be something that he jumps at.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

He will be a HC again soon, might be as soon as next year. I'm curious to see if he takes just any job or if he waits for Kstate. One thing about CJL is if him and his family are happy where they are he is much less likely to jump ship than other coaches. Karate is a definite take for him but programs that will open up this off-season may not be something that he jumps at.

I always saw him returning to Kstate. Now that he has had some success would not be surprised to see that happen soon. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I always saw him returning to Kstate. Now that he has had some success would not be surprised to see that happen soon. 

I always figured they would be the only one he left USF for up until slapgate. After he turned down Bama it reinforced that belief for me and I guess I've never let it go. But then again it makes so much sense it probably won't happen with the way college football works these days; things that make too much sense rarely come to fruition. Especially when a team from the B12 is involved.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Awesome reinforcement that he's a great defensive mind, happy for him--he's earned it. I rarely had any questions about the D with him, was always whether or not the O could keep the ball moving. Ironic the contrast to our team now.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

On November 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM, dabull80 said:

When I read someone post this it tells me you really never knew him.

CJL did great with mainly 2 star athletes and getting the most out of them.  He never had any money to pay the assistant coaches which is why we always had to replace coaches that got poached.   He had a pretty good coaching staff in place when he got fired.  Plus he knew how to use BJ to his full potential.  Skip tried to keep BJ in the pocket   CJL would definitely still be here if not for the slap heard around the world.  Where is the cry baby kid now and his dad, in Jail somewhere or on food stamps . 

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

On 11/4/2016 at 10:44 AM, Ned A Starr said:

That numba 2 ranking plug has grown very long in the tooth!  Surprised the writer didn't bring up the old trailer too.

Those where happy times in the trailer, just The Jim and USF vs the world