• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

James Pierce "Jim" Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I know he is a controversial figure on this board, but I read a recent article on him that I thought I would share for those who care to read it...

Controversial issue aside, he knows how to turn a defense around. 

Colorado Buffaloes author remarkable defensive turnaround behind defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt...

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/28/colorado-buffaloes-defensive-coordinator-jim-leavitt/

Snippets from the article...

His full-throttle approach has served CU well. Perhaps nothing about the Buffs’ resurgent season is as remarkable as the 180-degree turnaround of a defense that looked like Swiss cheese during its first four seasons in the Pac-12.

The Buffs rank No. 1 in total defense in the Pac-12, surrendering 307.8 total yards per game. During CU’s first four seasons in the league, from 2011 to 2014, it ranked 10th or worse each season.

When CU coach Mike MacIntyre was searching for a defensive coordinator to replace Kent Baer after the 2014 season, he interviewed several men. But MacIntyre kept coming back to Leavitt, with whom he had become familiar while coaching at San Jose State. Leavitt was coaching linebackers for the San Francisco 49ers at the time, but when head coach Jim Harbaugh moved on and took the job at Michigan, Leavitt was searching for a new opportunity.

Leavitt was accustomed to a challenge, even one as daunting as what CU presented. After all, he had taken Kansas State’s defense from 93rd to No. 1 while serving as co-defensive coordinator with Bob Stoops under head coach Bill Snyder. He was South Florida’s first-ever coach and ushered the program from its debut in Division I-AA (now FCS) all the way to a No. 2 BCS ranking once it had moved to the FBS ranks...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's already posted in the other Leavitt thread.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,039
  • Days Won:  38

I'm happy for Jim.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Happy for the guy, but let's face it, even if he had survived the slapping incident it is unlikely he would still be the USF coach. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Happy for the guy, but let's face it, even if he had survived the slapping incident it is unlikely he would still be the USF coach. 

Truth.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

And the anti-Leavitt gang, some on this thread, liked to attribute our defensive success to Kravitz, McCarney, Burnham - anyone other than Jim Leavitt. 

Glad to see him doing well. I hope his name is in the ASU discussion again. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

When I read someone post this it tells me you really never knew him.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, dabull80 said:

When I read someone post this it tells me you really never knew him.

Don't have to know him to know that the big boosters would have wanted him out for not taking us to the next level. That essentially is what happend when he got **** canned.