• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our passing attack

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

USF has basically the same offensive statistics as Alabama so far this season.  It's not a intricate route tree passing game but it is pretty effective and compliments the various running threats in the offense.  

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category10/sort02.html

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I noticed uconn had a lb or even a safety lined up about five yards wide of the linemen and up on the LOS.   They literally gameplanned to stop the perimeter game.   

If Temple does this, somebody needs to get in flowers' ear and tell him to look at the middle of the field.  Those crossing routes were wide open all night.     Like easily walk into the endzone wide open

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

So it seemed to me that we didn't throw the ball downfield much last game.  So for schitz and giggles, while rewatching the game I kept track of how far downfield QF threw the ball.  Don't know how to do a table on here so forgive the layout. Not sure if any of the behind the LOS were technically laterals.  

1st Half

Behind the LOS - 8 for 10, 1 to 5 yards - 2 for 3, 5 to 10 yards - 2 for 3, 10 to 20 yards - 0 for 2 and > 20 yds 0 for 4 with an INT

2nd Half

Behind the LOS - 7 for 7, 1 to 5 yards - 1 for 1, 5 to 10 yards - 1 for 1, 10 to 20 yards - 0 for 2 and > 20 yds - 3 for 5 with all 3 being TDs and 1 INT 

So it appears we did throw it downfield more than I thought but, the intermediate throws (10 - 20) are rare.  17 attempts were behind the LOS.  It just seems to me that we started doing that more in the Cinci game.  It has been part of our game plan all along but it feels like it is being used more often.  Maybe because teams are trying to make sure we don't beat them deep???? Anyway I just found it interesting.

Also, even though most of the behind the LOS passes were completed there were a couple that involved bad throws where the receiver had to go to his knees or turnaround.  On the other hand a couple of the deep throws probably should have been caught.  And the TD pass to Wilcox could have been an INT if not for a great play while the one INT could easily have been a TD.  So you win some and lose some.

I did a similar analysis last year for several games. I don't remember the exact stats, but comparing this game to others I don't think our O has changed much since then. Thx for posting :thumbsup: 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Is just good enough to keep the whole offense dangerous. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Every week i see a different look.... Im digging it

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  536
  • Days Won:  0

I posted not to long ago about this very thing. Teams are not going to allow us to beat them on those big pass plays as much anymore. They are going to the bend but don't break mentality because it works. We have been slower through the first half's of the last two games. We eventually break out because our runners are so dynamic. We will have to be flawless against good defenses because they will look to keep us in front at all times.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

40 minutes ago, Mango028 said:

I posted not to long ago about this very thing. Teams are not going to allow us to beat them on those big pass plays as much anymore. They are going to the bend but don't break mentality because it works.

When are the teams going to start not allowing us to beat them with long passes? The ones who's been stopping us from the long pass success has been us. The plays have been there but drops, not seeing them quick enough or off passes have contributed to us stopping us. 

• Upvote 3

Guest PCBull14
1 minute ago, Triple B said:

When are the teams going to start not allowing us to beat them with long passes? The ones who's been stopping us from the long pass success has been us. The plays have been there but drops, not seeing them quick enough or off passes have contributed to us stopping us. 

FTW all the way to the bank. They try to stop it all they want, the defenses we play this season outside FSU can not defending everything we have. The offense plays decent we score 30 a game. We've been lucky to have brilliant spurts and are putting 40 spots up. Crazy thing is we make half the plays we got sloppy on or missed and we have streak closer to 50 a game instead of 35.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Still waiting for that 'perfect game' 

We are going to put up 50 in one half on somebody... 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Fsu has the fastest defense we will face and they did pretty good vs us we still scored 35...that loss was on our defense.

We haven't exploited the middle so that is area we gotta attack get them to move safeties away from outside will open up the receivers outside.