• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey Knight isn't all bad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

24 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

I don't get it... what is the anger with him reporting factual (and interesting) information. Number of fans in attendance is an important measure of program health.

I believe most feel that this is not a good metric because we are one of the only programs in the country that have their turnstile attendance reported. Every other program reports tickets sold/distributed, which is what USF does as well. In turn, other fan bases use the fact that USF reports actual numbers in order to make fun of us or argue against our inclusion into the Big 12. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I believe most feel that this is not a good metric because we are one of the only programs in the country that have their turnstile attendance reported.

I've heard this a few times but I can't find anything definitive as to what schools report. Any sources? I saw one site that said the numbers are self reported by schools but no mention as to if the numbers are actual, distributed, etc. That's what drives me nuts, when reporters obviously use the lower, actual number for USF and then compare it with other numbers without referencing where they got them or how they were calculated. I have no problem with reporting them, but don't be sloppy doing it.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, ToroDeFuego said:

I've heard this a few times but I can't find anything definitive as to what schools report. Any sources? I saw one site that said the numbers are self reported by schools but no mention as to if the numbers are actual, distributed, etc. That's what drives me nuts, when reporters obviously use the lower, actual number for USF and then compare it with other numbers without referencing where they got them or how they were calculated. I have no problem with reporting them, but don't be sloppy doing it.

I believe that most people on here with experience in athletic departments know that most, if not all, schools report tickets sold/distributed. If you have a choice between a smaller number and a bigger one, of course you are going to report the bigger one. What isn't fair about it is when it is reported and it is not apples to apples. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

16 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I believe most feel that this is not a good metric because we are one of the only programs in the country that have their turnstile attendance reported. Every other program reports tickets sold/distributed, which is what USF does as well. In turn, other fan bases use the fact that USF reports actual numbers in order to make fun of us or argue against our inclusion into the Big 12. 

More importantly, not just other fan bases, but the actual news sources, including the TBT, use USF's actual attendance numbers when comparing to other team's announced numbers.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

In the end the announced not actual attendance is what matters. It's tickets sales and not butts in seats that generates the income so there is a reason not to report actual. While concession stands and parking do generate income, I am not sure how that works for our arrangement. Butts in seats is what looks good on TV and RJ is a pretty big stadium by CFB standards, especially for how young our program is.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

55 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

I don't get it... what is the anger with him reporting factual (and interesting) information. Number of fans in attendance is an important measure of program health.

Because not one of the other 127 FBS programs use or have reported turnstile numbers. The end. Everyone of 127 FBS programs use announced. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

56 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

Because factual and accurate reporting must be reserved for UCF!  How dare a reporter reporting on USF do their job in an unbaised manner!  This is an outrage!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

19 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I could post 10 articles about how every athletic program in the country uses announced (tickets distributed) and not turnstile numbers. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

1 hour ago, ToroDeFuego said:

I've heard this a few times but I can't find anything definitive as to what schools report. Any sources? I saw one site that said the numbers are self reported by schools but no mention as to if the numbers are actual, distributed, etc. 

Just as an example, UCF's announced attendance for the Thanksgiving game last year was something like 29K+. Anybody who watched in person or on TV could see there isn't a chance in hell there was 29K+ in the seats. I'd be surprised if it was even 10K. Clearly they're going on announced and not actual. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, USF_Grouper said:

Really? What's the average ratio of actual to announced attendance for FBS schools so we can get a feel for how healthy our program is?

• Upvote 1