• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Situation Update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I wouldn't be surprised if Oladukun is 3rd on the depth chart

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, Bulls1181 said:

Maybe time to look at another position? He is a solid athlete..

maybe he should think about Canada :D 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

It's official:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/brett-kean-named-bulls-backup-qb/2290640?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Brett Kean named Bulls' backup QB

Bulls coach Willie Taggart confirmed Tuesday morning what spring practices and recent scrimmages seemed to suggest: redshirt freshman Brett Kean is his backup quarterback.

Kean, who guided Ohio's St. Edward High to a state title in 2014, exited spring practice at No. 2 on the depth chart and remained there as recently as Saturday night's closed scrimmage. According to the Bulls' official Twitter feed, he directed at least two touchdown drives in that 120-play situational rehearsal.

UCLA transfer Asiantii Woulard presumably is the No. 3 QB at this point.

"Brett has had an outstanding camp; really, really stepped it up," said Taggart, whose team practiced in shells Tuesday morning, when feel-like temperatures eclipsed 100 degrees. "I think...not necessarily surprised all of us, but really impressed all of us."

As for those making the snaps, the depth chart remains undecided. Taggart said fourth-year junior Cameron Ruff -- a Jesuit High alumnus -- and redshirt freshman Michael Galati still are competing.

"They're getting after it. Guys aren't giving in to either one," Taggart said.

"When Mike's in there, the offensive line will move. And when Cam's in there the offensive line moves. For me, it's been pretty good knowing that whatever we decide to (do) we'll be very confident in whoever we go with in that they can help lead our offense."

TWO TIGHTS? Clearly, Taggart and his offensive staff are enamored with the possibilities provided by the tight-end tandem of sophomore Kano Dillon and redshirt freshman Mitch Wilcox, seemingly 1 and 1A, respectively, on the depth chart at this point.

Wilcox, who at 245 is 20 pounds heavier than his listed weight this time last year, confirmed two-tight packages abound in the playbook.

"Oh yeah, our two-tight package is in full effect and we're gonna be using it a lot," he said.

Tight ends coach David Reaves also confirmed the likelihood of one or both periodically lining up as an H-back, similar to what Sean Price did in 2015.

"That's what we do, we move our tight ends all around the field," Reaves said. "And that's the cool thing about this offense and the cool thing about this position group, I think they can play everywhere."

Hope we build a nice lead against Towson so this kid can get some PT.

I hope whoever starts at center can get clean snaps back to Flowers.  I can't remember how many times Flowers had to be like a short stop back there.  Clean snaps allows this offense to function with even greater precision.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

As the resident optimist, as some would call me, I'd like to point out that football season starts next weekend and we have team guys.  We have a really legit team... a bonafide championship contender.  Haven't been able to say that since 2010.  We also have a team trending up.  

Anyone for some Green and Gold Kool-Aid?  Sure is tasty... :icon_drink::iconic_u_black::GoBulls:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Kean has looked sharp.  So much improvement in him from a year ago when both him and Flowers looked mostly hapless when learning this system for the first time.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

As someone who touted AW from seeing him throw in the past, he LOOKS amazing. I can't speak for anyone else, but I always prefaced my observations with "I don't know if he was throwing to the right receiver..." or "I don't know if he made the correct read..." but he puts zip on the ball when it's needed. He puts air under it when the situation calls for it. He has a really nice arm, good height, etc. I also said that QF's legs would be the X factor and there was no way to judge how big a factor they would be from practices since they lacked contact and had very few designed runs. The Elite 11 had some reads, but for the most part, it's a throwing competition. There isn't a lot of mystery as to why AW did so well in it.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

6 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Hope we build a nice lead against Towson so this kid can get some PT.

I'd love to see Flowers, Kean, and Woulard get some reps against Towson. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I'd love to see Flowers, Kean, and Woulard get some reps against Towson. 

I'd like a repeat of 2007 and see 3 Bulls QBs throw TDs against UCF this year.