• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics strategic plan to be unveiled

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

I can assure you I'm far from ill informed.  Over the years I've given this site some pretty good content on happenings at USF.  An OCS and entry into a P5 are two totally different animals.  They are independent of each other.  Both require money and lots of it.  P5s demand high academic standards and until recently USF was not one of those types of institutions. 

Comparing USF to SMU?  SMU?  A private religious based school in Dallas with an enrollment of 13K students and barely 100K alumni who is the only school to ever suffer the death penalty is what you cite, and I'm ill informed?  At least U of H is in the same stratosphere as us. 

We will agree to disagree and I'm cool with it. 

My loyalty to USF runs very, very deep.  Always has and always will.  I'm engaged in many walks of USF life, not just athletics.  To become more informed I encourage you to attend a BOD meeting. USF Athletics and Alumni both have quarterly, open to the public, board of director's meetings.  I encourage you to go and ask the questions regarding an OCS. 

Send Mr. Harlan an email and schedule an appointment with him.  He'll meet with you no matter what you give financially.  Perhaps one of the TBP Mods could schedule a conference call with him in the future with member participation.  He's a pretty open fellow.  Try it.

Go Bulls!

We don't need to ask them about an OCS because it is not happening right now. Just need to have more peeps show up for the games. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

I can assure you I'm far from ill informed.  Over the years I've given this site some pretty good content on happenings at USF.  An OCS and entry into a P5 are two totally different animals.  They are independent of each other.  Both require money and lots of it.  P5s demand high academic standards and until recently USF was not one of those types of institutions. 

Comparing USF to SMU?  SMU?  A private religious based school in Dallas with an enrollment of 13K students and barely 100K alumni who is the only school to ever suffer the death penalty is what you cite, and I'm ill informed?  At least U of H is in the same stratosphere as us. 

We will agree to disagree and I'm cool with it. 

My loyalty to USF runs very, very deep.  Always has and always will.  I'm engaged in many walks of USF life, not just athletics.  To become more informed I encourage you to attend a BOD meeting. USF Athletics and Alumni both have quarterly, open to the public, board of director's meetings.  I encourage you to go and ask the questions regarding an OCS. 

Send Mr. Harlan an email and schedule an appointment with him.  He'll meet with you no matter what you give financially.  Perhaps one of the TBP Mods could schedule a conference call with him in the future with member participation.  He's a pretty open fellow.  Try it.

Go Bulls!

Never said you were ill informed, Ba. I'm well aware of the info you've posted in the past and your loyalty to USF. What I said was that you made some ill informed assertions. I said you keep saying that there are no conversations with USF leadership about an OCS and that's blatantly false ... unless USF leadership wasn't involved in the putting together of the strategic plan.

And you can most definitely compare USF to SMU. You said that because we are in an area with 4M people and  because of that it would be an embarrassment to even only have 30K season tix. In that regard, you can absolutely compare us to SMU because they are in the exact same situation, same huge population to pull season ticket holders from and same conference in football. UH and SMU are both in the exact same situation as USF as far as that criteria is concerned but they have the advantage of huge head starts (UH, 50 years .... SMU, 75 years) of their college football being in the community, yet I don't believe they have anywhere near 30K season tix holders. Bottom line is there really isn't anything that runs far deeper than the USF community when talking about season ticket holders and support.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

19 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Never said you were ill informed, Ba. I'm well aware of the info you've posted in the past and your loyalty to USF. What I said was that you made some ill informed assertions. I said you keep saying that there are no conversations with USF leadership about an OCS and that's blatantly false ... unless USF leadership wasn't involved in the putting together of the strategic plan.

And you can most definitely compare USF to SMU. You said that because we are in an area with 4M people and  because of that it would be an embarrassment to even only have 30K season tix. In that regard, you can absolutely compare us to SMU because they are in the exact same situation, same huge population to pull season ticket holders from and same conference in football. UH and SMU are both in the exact same situation as USF as far as that criteria is concerned but they have the advantage of huge head starts (UH, 50 years .... SMU, 75 years) of their college football being in the community, yet I don't believe they have anywhere near 30K season tix holders. Bottom line is there really isn't anything that runs far deeper than the USF community when talking about season ticket holders and support.

Throw Pitt into the mix. I'd be willing to bet they don't have 30k season ticket holders. Ditto for Cincy, UCF, Buffalo, Charlotte, FIU, Miami, Minnesota, UNLV, SDSU, San Jose, Temple, UTSA, Tulane... In fact, I'd bet the only urban schools that come close or exceed it are UCLA, GaTech, Ohio State, USC, Texas, maybe Utah? Washington? And of that list, 6/7 have a national championship to brag about.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,682
  • Days Won:  8

Can't compare USF to Miami. Miami is a private school for rich kids from New York and 5 national championships, and thousands of NFL alumni. Of course thy get more donations than USF.  

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

13 hours ago, Paisa el Toro said:

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I have been a USF fan since the late 80s but when I think about how I want to spend $2k USF has done little to earn back my business. There are just too many other things I would prefer to do with my money than sink it into something that hasn't be enetertaining for some time. While I am sure that there are others that feel the same way I expect that the majority of the Bay Area doesn't even give USF a thought.

The P5 is a pipe dream and we should be happy that after 20 years of football that we are at where we are at.

Thanks for your continued lack of support.  Glad you're happy where we are.  Now please go away.

3 hours ago, Gismo said:

Can't compare USF to Miami. Miami is a private school for rich kids from New York and 5 national championships, and thousands of NFL alumni. Of course thy get more donations than USF.  

37 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Same is true for SMU....USF allotted student section at the RJ was larger than the SMU student body,.

SMU has only 1 national championship, 80 years ago, and I doubt they come close to Miami in NFL alumni. The SMU comparison was about the huge population they're surrounded by and being at the same level as we are at the present time ...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I have been a USF fan since the late 80s but when I think about how I want to spend $2k USF has done little to earn back my business. There are just too many other things I would prefer to do with my money than sink it into something that hasn't be enetertaining for some time. While I am sure that there are others that feel the same way I expect that the majority of the Bay Area doesn't even give USF a thought.

The P5 is a pipe dream and we should be happy that after 20 years of football that we are at where we are at.

You're the fringe, non connected type fan that's needed to further pad the coffers in the good times. What Harlan has to tap into is a ton more supporters who will be there through thick and thin, and stay emotionally, as well as financially, invested .... and you'd think, and hope, that USF's large Alumni pool would have produced more of them than they have up to this point.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

and you'd think, and hope, that USF's large Alumni pool would have produced more of them than they have up to this point.

Not all, but a good bulk of pre-1997 alumni are just different. I'll leave it at that.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

You're the fringe, non connected type fan that's needed to further pad the coffers in the good times. What Harlan has to tap into is a ton more supporters who will be there through thick and thin, and stay emotionally, as well as financially, invested .... and you'd think, and hope, that USF's large Alumni pool would have produced more of them than they have up to this point.

Too bad we have not explored ideas on how to get alumni back to campus to see all of the improvements and progress.  I imagine that would create a connection where adults and kids could grow up regularly visiting campus.  Now, how could we get large amounts of fans to attend campus six or so times during the fall?  I will have to put some thought into this.  

• Upvote 2