• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MOSI makes it official... OCS Time???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

USF's benefit should be a primary concern for the county because?  If the county offered the land to USF at fair market value, could USF afford to buy it for an OCS?

They absolutely can afford to buy the land. But affording it and deciding its worth the expense are two different things.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Operative word.  Again, the county will use the proximity to USF to sell it.  That doesn't mean USF will benefit.

Exactly.  The ones who would benefit would be companies and the graduates.  Not USF as an institution, which I'm pretty sure was what you were saying, and the main thing Ned missed.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

9 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Exactly.  The ones who would benefit would be companies and the graduates.  Not USF as an institution, which I'm pretty sure was what you were saying, and the main thing Ned missed.

Right, even assuming there would be any benefit at all.  As Ned himself has pointed out more than once:  if you build it, it doesn't necessarily mean they will come.  "Innovation hub" could just as easily be "High risk business venture".

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I can see both sides. Sure, the companies building on that area would benefit more than USF would, but it would be up to USF to establish partnerships with the businesses to not only feed them interns/graduates, but to explore if there are "synergistic" (i hate using that word) things they can work together on, could end up being vital to an academic major's coursework or experience.

Surely if they just slap a bunch of companies in there that can't make any connection to USF, it's going to be better for the companies.

Can't we entice one of those big stadium building construction companies to build their headquarters there...and you know, as an example of their fine quality work, build a working full scale stadium model there...and you know, let USF use it? :D

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

$62 million for a 12,000 seat high school stadium in Texas making it probably the most expensive H.S. stadium in the country. Beats $60m for an 18,000 seater also built in Texas. Sounds like they are getting ripped off for that kind of money.

http://sportact.net/texas-high-school-build-62-8m-football-stadium-center-25760-2016/

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

It's an even bigger rip off when factor in that football won't even exist in 20 years.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, slick1ru2 said:

$62 million for a 12,000 seat high school stadium in Texas making it probably the most expensive H.S. stadium in the country. Beats $60m for an 18,000 seater also built in Texas. Sounds like they are getting ripped off for that kind of money.

http://sportact.net/texas-high-school-build-62-8m-football-stadium-center-25760-2016/

The 18,000 seater had to close for repairs 2 years after being built so not sure who really got ripped off ...

Cracking and Temporary Closure

On February 27, 2014 the stadium was closed due to cracking in concrete to ensure the safety of visitors. All future events were canceled until further notice.[3] In a letter to the design and construction companies for the stadium, lawyers for the school district cited “construction failures” that exacerbated “already deficient design.”[4]

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

I believe USF will now wait to see if the Big 12 invite is coming before building an OCS. No point of building a small OCS when they may be hosting Texas & OU down the road. Think they are trying to see if they will be in Texas division.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

If we have OCS, I don't mind to have some games at RJ stadium where it has 65K capacity and can be expanded to 75K.  The Big 12 should be aware of it otherwise I'd be surprised.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

On May 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Bull Daly said:

I believe USF will now wait to see if the Big 12 invite is coming before building an OCS. No point of building a small OCS when they may be hosting Texas & OU down the road. Think they are trying to see if they will be in Texas division.

Well I hope no one is holding their breath on that one.