• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shaun King Joining Staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Ok, sounds good. Soooo, what is team Tampa? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

25 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ok, sounds good. Soooo, what is team Tampa? 

Team Tampa

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

....I'd rather have Grothe

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Guessing the relationship with the coaches at the area High schools might be as important as kids knowing "who" he is. They may not know but they will trust and listen to a coach's recommendation. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I can give you some of the reasons why he has the potential to be a good recruiter.

1. He's a local kid who played in the NFL. That's never a bad selling point when you're telling high school kids, "I know what it takes to get to the pros."
  2. Had one of the best statistical seasons in NCAA history. So he can at least convince a kid he has some level of knowledge about playing college football at a high level.
  3. He's young. I've heard that repeated about why CWT is a good recruiter more than once.
  4. He's been on TV talking about football. Also never a bad thing.
  5. Runs the Shaun King Foundation that is partnered with the Boys and Girls Club of  St. Pete. I would venture to say he doesn't have a problem connecting to teenagers.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,460
  • Days Won:  25

17 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

I dont think these kids even know who he is. I played against him in highschool in 1996 when he was at Gibbs. Most of these kids were just born and not older than 7 when he was a Buc.

Shaun Earl King (born May 29, 1977) - Willie Taggart (born August 27, 1976)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

32 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I can give you some of the reasons why he has the potential to be a good recruiter.

1. He's a local kid who played in the NFL. That's never a bad selling point when you're telling high school kids, "I know what it takes to get to the pros."
  2. Had one of the best statistical seasons in NCAA history. So he can at least convince a kid he has some level of knowledge about playing college football at a high level.
  3. He's young. I've heard that repeated about why CWT is a good recruiter more than once.
  4. He's been on TV talking about football. Also never a bad thing.
  5. Runs the Shaun King Foundation that is partnered with the Boys and Girls Club of  St. Pete. I would venture to say he doesn't have a problem connecting to teenagers.

Having an undefeated season doesn't hurt either ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

Shaun Earl King (born May 29, 1977) - Willie Taggart (born August 27, 1976)

I was just saying that his experience as a PRO is negligible because most kids do not know who he is.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,460
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I was just saying that his experience as a PRO is negligible because most kids do not know who he is.

In reference to when he was born and experience as it related to recruiting. Just pointing out that he and CWT are basically the same age. King went on to play pro ball while CWT went into coaching. Both were successful high school (Bay area) and college players. 

Although King is untested, as far as I know, in the recruiting aspect of college coaching, I think he'll be able to relate with the players in a positive manner. All depends on his salesmanship.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

29 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I would disagree with that. I used to work out with Sal Fasano and Jay Bell (and a few other MLB guys) when I was in college. They were a bit older than me, but not actual coaches of mine. And not that they ever said anything that directly contradicted what my coaches were saying, but their words had weight because they were pros and I took in anything and everything they said.

Edited by JTrue