• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shaun King Joining Staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Bullrush33 said:

I was just saying that his experience as a PRO is negligible because most kids do not know who he is.

Their parents will quickly educate them.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I would disagree with that. I used to work out with Sal Fasano and Jay Bell (and a few other MLB guys) when I was in college. They were a bit older than me, but not actual coaches of mine. And not that they ever said anything that directly contradicted what my coaches were saying, but their words had weight because they were pros and I took in anything and everything they said.

When were you in college? Jay Bell if not mistaking was a 90's player and did you know grow up watching him? I remember him in the 90's.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

When were you in college? Jay Bell if not mistaking was a 90's player and did you know grow up watching him? I remember him in the 90's.

Missing the point entirely. Jay Bell/Sal Fasano = professional baseball players. Me <---------- guy playing baseball. Guy playing baseball can learn something from people who have done it professional regardless of whether or not they were household names.

King = NFL player. College kid <--------- plays football. NFL player knows something about being a professional football player. College kid likes this.

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Missing the point entirely. Jay Bell/Sal Fasano = professional baseball players. Me <---------- guy playing baseball. Guy playing baseball can learn something from people who have done it professional regardless of whether or not they were household names.

King = NFL player. College kid <--------- plays football. NFL player knows something about being a professional football player. College kid likes this.

The point is this. Does Shaun King provide an advantage over other schools when recruiting? We are not the only school with ex NFL players coaching.  All I am saying again is that it will be his ability to relate and not his star power that will draw kids.  I am not saying that they cant learn anything from him as I believe they will. I just do not think he is going to be a big draw for kids wanting to come to our school. I could be wrong but based on him being from an earlier generation and since being out of the league for awhile does not give us a competitive advantage.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

The point is this. Does Shaun King provide an advantage over other schools when recruiting? We are not the only school with ex NFL players coaching.  All I am saying again is that it will be his ability to relate and not his star power that will draw kids.  I am not saying that they cant learn anything from him as I believe they will. I just do not think he is going to be a big draw for kids wanting to come to our school. I could be wrong but based on him being from an earlier generation and since being out of the league for awhile does not give us a competitive advantage.

He's actively involved with TeamTampa (pretty sure he was the coach or at least on the coaching staff) which is a major 7v7 team in the Tampa area. He's going to recruit great. The bigger question is whether his experience will translate as a coach for our football team. We'll see on that front but as far as recruiting he'll do fine. He already knows a lot of the kids coming up in the Tampa area already. Even without having the influence of being a a Pro QB we're basically grabbing a guy that is intricately involved in the Tampa area High School football world.. Good get if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

49 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Agreed. All things being equal, being a former NFLer can't hurt. But you're right, I doubt he's going to be a major difference maker on that alone.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Shaun Earl King (born May 29, 1977) - Willie Taggart (born August 27, 1976)

Does this mean they're not compatible? So no little Willie Kings or Shaun Taggarts are in our future?

All I know is that we have hired a local guy who went to the Pros, and he is currently working with the top skill players in the area. I'm not sure what's wrong with any of that. He should up to date with youth culture, and he has done what these kids want to do. I'm sure that he will have a learning curve just like everybody else, but being a homegrown will have some advantages. Also, he played his ball at the football juggernaut known as Tulane. If anyone can help you find a way into the pros it would be him. 

29 minutes ago, HR Bull said:

Does this mean they're not compatible? So no little Willie Kings or Shaun Taggarts are in our future?

All I know is that we have hired a local guy who went to the Pros, and he is currently working with the top skill players in the area. I'm not sure what's wrong with any of that. He should up to date with youth culture, and he has done what these kids want to do. I'm sure that he will have a learning curve just like everybody else, but being a homegrown will have some advantages. Also, he played his ball at the football juggernaut known as Tulane. If anyone can help you find a way into the pros it would be him.

I am thinking with the offense we play now is not conducive to the NFL. Cam Newton is the exception and no the norm.  Maybe we should have asked Tommy Frazier to come help.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Imagine if Shaun King could have coached and developed Steven Bench?  Greatness!

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

20 hours ago, Bulls2k said:

....I'd rather have Grothe

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/warrant-issued-for-ex-bulls-qb-matt-grothe/2265575

A sworn criminal affidavit indicates that around 4 a.m. on Dec. 19, Grothe "actually and intentionally" struck a male victim (whose name is redacted), causing great bodily harm. Grothe struck the victim on the left side of the face with his right fist, causing a fractured nose, broken tooth, and lip and mouth lacerations, according to the affidavit.