• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF better get Willie to sign an extension.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Some here will never accept Taggart as USF's head coach and are just looking for reasons to not give him credit for turning the program around. 

This is the best offense USF has ever had. This offense would fit right in with the Big 12 teams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Some here will never accept Taggart as USF's head coach and are just looking for reasons to not give him credit for turning the program around. 

This is the best offense USF has ever had. This offense would fit right in with the Big 12 teams. 

But we have a defense too...

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The money needs to go to the coordinators, big time.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

NO way a Leavitt-coached team wins 7 of their last 8 games 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The money needs to go to the coordinators, big time.

Assistant pools are usually tied into the head coaches contracts. Give Willie a moderate rwise/extension and give all of the assistant coaches a sizeable bump in pay. Cohesion is the most important thing for the program going into next season. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Assistant pools are usually tied into the head coaches contracts. Give Willie a moderate rwise/extension and give all of the assistant coaches a sizeable bump in pay. Cohesion is the most important thing for the program going into next season. 

Is that who's responsible for Flowers leap in development? I ask because that is what I see as the biggest factor in the turn around.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  But, mostly, old. 

Class of 2013... My first year of USF (and really paying attention to USF Football) was 2010, AKA Skip's first year. Which was good, but I was certainly not as invested in the program as I am now. So, this year is the biggest year I've ever really had. Quite honestly, I feel more euphoric about it than when the Packers won the Super Bowl. So that's pretty nice. 

----

But on topic, The things to consider at this point is whether or not Taggart can continue to improve the team. From there, which assistants we lose or keep. It would be understandable for us to lose a handful of them. We'd all love to keep Allen, but maybe we only have him for this year. What will matter there, is for Taggart/Harlan to go out there and find a new DC that can step in right away with the pieces we've got. Maybe another 4-2-5 type of guy. 

Its clear we have athletes that can perform, probably in whatever resemblance of defense we put out there. Same with the offense really, but I'm not as worried with them. I feel like you could tell Flowers, Mack, the other RBs, and Adams to just go ball out and we'll be fine. 

Edited by Breedwell

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

Has to be the one time in history of TBP that someone calling for a win against UCF gets down voted.  The ignorance is strong on this site and why I seldom visit anymore.

:rolleyes: ..... Please. Most here know the real reason why you seldom visit anymore (besides the Publix conversations). You're a one trick pony and the pony has kicked your ass to the tune of 8-4 ...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

not sure what all the previous back and forth was about-- seemed to drift off topic and get personal--

I will throw in my 2 cents (feel free to ask for change).

Overall-- I thought Leavitt was a fun coach-- intense at times-- personable to fans, went off the rails with the media clearly, and while good with defense not exactly an offensive minded guy. He had some good teams-- made some mistakes-- all I know is I enjoyed watching his brand of football and was not very happy with how his time ended.

When they hired Holtz-- he seemed like a decent candidate for the job but it always bothered me that we replaced CJL with a guy CJL beat while at ECU. Also-- Holtz made this big pronouncement about the new era-- a new attitude for the program. I didn't realize what he was talking about -- or that he was sort of brought in to clean up the grade situation and discipline matters etc. Not sure why-- maybe CJL hangover but I never felt great about the hire and felt he tanked the program. CJL left the cupboard full-- Skippy emptied it (or maybe the new standards did- who knows for sure).

Hiring Taggart had some positives in that he turned around WKU-- so I hoped for the best but knew he had to bring in people very fast to right the ship. Felt he needed at least 3 years to make any progress and hoped he got at least that before the FIRECWT.com website would fire up. So some glimpses of potential but not much last year. THis year looked like we were still circling the drain early on-- then a win and another etc-- winning always solves everything.

As far as worrying about contract extensions and money or him being poached -- we went through this for a long time with CJL-- there was always another threat to worry about and people screaming about making sure he is happy and paid well and his assistants etc etc-- WE may have paid him too well in the end-- who knows. The results of this season validate CWTs hire-- clearly. We want him to stay here. But the need to make those contract dealings part of an in season manuever seem silly. If you were working on a huge project, would you want to drop everything and have these discussions? I mean-- we all like money etc-- but if anything, that distraction might cost you the time and concentration you needed to get your job done. I'd rather his staff be working up the details on what we face in Houston (we have the stuff on Navy already from earlier) should a miracle happen and UConn comes through for us-- only calling it a miracle because we've been down this road before and the other team didn't come through.

Regardless- leave the coaches alone to do what they need to do to finish their season. Let them know that you are open to having a conversation at the right time later when they are ready for it. You can give an extension if they want one then. No need to push for it prior to the final game. If someone has plans to snatch him up-- all the buyout clauses and pay bumps/extensions in the world aren't going to stop that from happening anyway. He either wants to see where this goes or he is thinking of his next move up the coaching ladder.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Believe what you want to believe then. I'll stand by what I know. The conversation below is what I'm referring to in my posts earlier (names redacted to keep messages private). Also, on October 31st at the USNA game, a current player's dad (offensive lineman) discussed the switch as well with me when we were discussing the ebb and flow of the Navy-USF game versus the Maryland-USF game (in which we sat next to each other very disgruntled with our performance).

Former Offensive Player #1: I would say yes only because he is allowing his coaches to coach like OC and DC without interfering... before it was mostly Willie T calling all the shots; but i feel like he is trusting his staff more and its been seen in there style of play... Like · Reply 

so your facts are a copy of a post from a former player who says "word is" which is clearly some unsubstantiated rumor he heard from someone he doesn't even reveal?

Wow. Word is Titantic isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Can people now take that as fact?

I guess the words directly from Sean price in his interview after the Cincy game where he credits Taggart for the play calls shouldn't count for more than a post on a message board by a former player who has no ties at all to this staff and clearly is speculating as to why there has been a noticeable difference in the offense.

Or maybe the quotes in the paper should count for more?

Unbelievable that you would use this as your evidence that play calls are now being done by someone other than Taggart.

BTW I like the name change. it certainly fits better than Titanic

• Upvote 2