• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Temple Game Time Announced: 7:00pm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

This shall be our goal!IBNLSCDVBYEVBJI.20080805151435.JPG?ATCLI

One day, my friend. Those heights are still attainable..especially if we go into FSU at home next season on a 6-7 game winning streak.

Note-our opening schedule next season is Towson, NIU, @ Syracuse, then FSU. Go 3-0 and then you have some real possibilities open up for a big pro-USF crowd at home.Perhaps the casual Gator/Cane fans will show up.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

One day, my friend. Those heights are still attainable..especially if we go into FSU at home next season on a 6-7 game winning streak.

Note-our opening schedule next season is Towson, NIU, @ Syracuse, then FSU. Go 3-0 and then you have some real possibilities open up for a big pro-USF crowd at home.Perhaps the casual Gator/Cane fans will show up.

That game is guaranteed 50k+ , the question will be how may USF fans will be there. Last time FSU played at USF it felt like it was 70% FSU fans. It was pretty embarrassing..

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Ugh...I can already see where the direction of this thread is going. 

Publix subs!   Had an Italian on Sat. and it was amazing.  

Guess I'm going to have to find a sports bar.  Getting tired of watching the Bulls on first row sports.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

Well, you're arguing two different things.  I showed you that an OCS does not mean an increase in attendance.  Then you argue it's a atmosphere thing (which I actually agree with).  Then you argue the attendance issue again.

Most people on here would love an OCS, but it won't help attendance.  Winning and an attractive schedule help attendance.  We really can only control the first one, for the most part.  I'm sure that USF doesn't want to go deep into debt (a la UCF) for a stadium.

I'm saying that with an OCS, students are going to FLOCK to the stadium because it's a party atmosphere by default. The alumni will fill out the stands based on current season's squad effectiveness, but the students will be there. 

Obviously a team that sucks isn't going to draw well. But USF is playing with a hand tied behind its back by not being able to enjoy a home field advantage, and being denied the experience of watching the big game on Autumn Saturdays. All of that ties into the college experience.

There are 25 schools without on campus stadiums. 25 schools' students without knowing what it's like to have a visiting team 'invade your turf'. 25 schools that don't know what it's like to wake up a bit hungover from last night's party, heading over to the cafeteria to eat a pile of breakfast, get back to the dorms, shower, crack a beer and start to plod over to the stadium. Instead they're bussed. That's so friggin defeatist. 

An NFL stadium also helps with recruiting as noted not only by USF recruits themselves but also Big East players when asked what is their favorite away venue on past media days more often then not said Ray Jay.

While you're right to a degree that RJS plays a factor in that, it would help immensely more to have an OCS. RJS is a freakin mausoleum in comparison to an effective OCS.

As for players preferring RJS over other locations? I'd argue that they say that primarily because it gets them out of their cold weather northeastern locale, and well, home field advantage is effectively neutralized by the stadium itself.

Edited by keithroby
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

hahaha and now I achieved another negative point.

What am I saying that is so wrong? We all know we need an OCS. It's good money to invest in the program. 

• Upvote 3

RJS is a freakin mausoleum in comparison to an effective OCS.

An "effective" OCS?  What does that even mean?  You stacked the deck against RJS in your own argument.  If effective = vibrant and full, we have physical proof that RJS can be that stadium for us too, with the right combination of talent on the field + excitement about the program.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Publix subs!   Had an Italian on Sat. and it was amazing.  

Actually, I think I prefer Public discussion over OCS any day.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I know it's a commuter school, but 18% live on campus. You're alienating 6k people right there by not having an OCS. A vasts majority of students live in apartment complexes within a couple miles' radius surrounding USF. You're not making it easy for them to get to games, either.

The bigger issue though is the homogenization of college football Saturday USF effectively 'whitewashes' by not having an OCS. 

You can argue that, while undoubtedly it makes it harder to recruit talent to come to USF, that it also may affect who chooses USF to attend. Kids want college football as part of their on campus experience..

I mean I know that at the end of the day USF is a directional, land grant university with about as much prestige as a care package from your mother..but you couldn't be more wrong if you think an OCS is something "we don't need". We've needed an OCS like a hooker needs Abreva since the beginning.

Hence the down vote. I really don't care about your opinion of the OCS. 

Edited by BDYZR
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

keithroby,

Students, "flocking" to the game doesn't fill the stadium as their section is usually less than a 1/4 of the available seats.  You need the people putting their cash down to fill it, so you can pay for it.