• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Temple Game Time Announced: 7:00pm

If there is not at least 50k there next week then it will be more evidence that USF needs an OCS. ECU had  good crowd at their OCS so USF should follow suit 

For what it's worth.... RayJay doesn't hold 50k without opening the upper deck... so the most we could have is just over 41k...

And since we haven't had more than 20k since FAMU, I would not expect to get anywhere near that.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

Since the student section makes up a small portion of the total attendance, the fact that they can get up and walk over really has no bearing.  But here you go:

2014 average home attendance figures:

Boise State - 32,504

Colorado St - 26,575

Houston - 28,311

Kansas - 34,077

Marshall - 27,461

Memphis - 33,851

Nevada - 23,862

Purdue - 35,269

San Diego State - 32,406

SMU - 21,528

UCF - 37,812

Wake Forest - 27,210

Those are just a few.

I want on OCS as much as anyone else, but let's not pretend it will be an attendance panacea.

I think you're conflating attendance and the value of an on campus stadium.

For starters, an on campus stadium helps IMMENSELY with recruiting. Second, not to go all biblical / Field of Dreams here, but 'Build it, and they will come'. Part of the value in an OCS is the cachet it provides. The unity. The 'big game on Saturday' event that Florida and FSU and hell, UCF are beating us over our heads with. Football *NEEDS* to be played on campus for that reason alone..

Back to attendance...I'll just say this: playing in front of a half/third filled RJS that is even tarped off on the upper deck rings hollow. I'm not saying they need an 80k seat stadium. 

Hell, make it 30k for all I care. Make the ticket 'tough to come by'. But even at schools like FIU and FAU, there's a palpable home field advantage for those programs...RJS is too big, because the fans are too few, essentially.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,187
  • Days Won:  42

I think you're conflating attendance and the value of an on campus stadium.

For starters, an on campus stadium helps IMMENSELY with recruiting. Second, not to go all biblical / Field of Dreams here, but 'Build it, and they will come'. Part of the value in an OCS is the cachet it provides. The unity. The 'big game on Saturday' event that Florida and FSU and hell, UCF are beating us over our heads with. Football *NEEDS* to be played on campus for that reason alone..

Back to attendance...I'll just say this: playing in front of a half/third filled RJS that is even tarped off on the upper deck rings hollow. I'm not saying they need an 80k seat stadium. 

Hell, make it 30k for all I care. Make the ticket 'tough to come by'. But even at schools like FIU and FAU, there's a palpable home field advantage for those programs...RJS is too big, because the fans are too few, essentially.

I'm with you on that. A smaller OCS will make it tougher for Temple to win road games in. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

If there is not at least 50k there next week then it will be more evidence that USF needs an OCS. ECU had  good crowd at their OCS so USF should follow suit 

:hijack:

Yeah let's spend $150M on something we don't need. With such a small percentage of students living on campus I am not sure how this would draw more fans. If you are a fan you'll find a way to get there. It's not like we are asking people to go to the Trop.

I know it's a commuter school, but 18% live on campus. You're alienating 6k people right there by not having an OCS. A vasts majority of students live in apartment complexes within a couple miles' radius surrounding USF. You're not making it easy for them to get to games, either.

The bigger issue though is the homogenization of college football Saturday USF effectively 'whitewashes' by not having an OCS. 

You can argue that, while undoubtedly it makes it harder to recruit talent to come to USF, that it also may affect who chooses USF to attend. Kids want college football as part of their on campus experience..

I mean I know that at the end of the day USF is a directional, land grant university with about as much prestige as a care package from your mother..but you couldn't be more wrong if you think an OCS is something "we don't need". We've needed an OCS like a hooker needs Abreva since the beginning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

Cbs again mother#÷*! I will be away in Toronto was hoping this was going to be on espn.

I guess radio stream for me 

And my OCS #HotTake is netting me some negative points. Go figure.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

And my OCS #HotTake is netting me some negative points. Go figure.

Well, you're arguing two different things.  I showed you that an OCS does not mean an increase in attendance.  Then you argue it's a atmosphere thing (which I actually agree with).  Then you argue the attendance issue again.

Most people on here would love an OCS, but it won't help attendance.  Winning and an attractive schedule help attendance.  We really can only control the first one, for the most part.  I'm sure that USF doesn't want to go deep into debt (a la UCF) for a stadium.