• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Temple Game Time Announced: 7:00pm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

keithroby,

Students, "flocking" to the game doesn't fill the stadium as their section is usually less than a 1/4 of the available seats.  You need the people putting their cash down to fill it, so you can pay for it.

You're assuming kids won't flock to the OCS because of their experience with RJS. There's a flaw in that logic. RJS requires planning to attend the event. Football is out of sight, out of mind as well. 

Put the stadium on campus, and the thing sells itself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hence the down vote. I really don't care about your opinion of the OCS. 

Ah. There's no OCS to have an opinion of, btw. You meant to say you don't care about my opinion on the benefits of an OCS. 

What about my opinion of the merits of an OCS do you find objectionable? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You're assuming kids won't flock to the OCS because of their experience with RJS. There's a flaw in that logic. RJS requires planning to attend the event. Football is out of sight, out of mind as well. 

Put the stadium on campus, and the thing sells itself. 

You read that wrong, let's assume for a moment that the student section will be filled each and every game.  You'll still have 30k - 40k seats to fill.  The fact that it is an OCS will not accomplish that.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

This thread was about the game this Saturday, right? 

We will be at the lot at 2:30.

I can't legally shoot and roast an owl, so we'll probably roast a chicken or three.

Mass quantities of beer will be consumed. 

Remember people, Picklebacks are Green and Gold. 

Edited by swamprat
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Ah. There's no OCS to have an opinion of, btw. You meant to say you don't care about my opinion on the benefits of an OCS. 

What about my opinion of the merits of an OCS do you find objectionable? 

I generally mean EXACTLY what I say. Read the first part of your post again. The highlighted parts.

Edited by BDYZR

You read that wrong, let's assume for a moment that the student section will be filled each and every game.  You'll still have 30k - 40k seats to fill.  The fact that it is an OCS will not accomplish that.

I'm saying a 40-50k seat stadium needs to be built. You'll EASILY get 10k students. It's an on campus event, and it feeds and grows. RJS is the antiseptic to the college football experience. 

There are what..over 100k USF alumni in the area. You think they'd have a hard time filling out a stadium if built on campus? 

I'm not asking you to presuppose Custer didn't die at Little Big Horn. I'm only asking you to look beyond the death sentence that is RJS. 

Miami made it work with the Orange Bowl, because they were a massively popular college football powerhouse, and they filled that stadium with what, 95% of the people never even having remotely the qualifications to be accepted into U of M. UCLA makes it work at the Rose Bowl because they're freakin UCLA. 

You *need* an OCS to drive attendance. The building becomes part of the lore. The team being good helps of course, But the crowd helps the team win by giving it the HFA it needs when worthy opponents tread upon our campus' hallowed grounds. 

• Upvote 1

I generally mean EXACTLY what I say. Read the first part of your post again. The highlighted parts.

What part of land grant university doesn't ring true? It also is a directional U. The latter part primarily is what makes it harder for USF (and UCF for that matter) to recruit viable talent with options to come here. An OCS would be a step in the right direction. 

I don't mean to denigrate USF. I'm only calling it like it is. I mean, I only went there because I got (an underage) DUI and drunken disorderly conviction and UofF, despite a 1988 SAT of 1240 and a decent yet, marijuana stained GPA in my quiver, weren't enough for UF to 'look the other way'. USF served its purpose for me, and I as a result bleed green and gold. 

Game Day is supposed to mean something. At USF, it means little. It would mean a lot more with an OCS. 

Feel free to throw me some more shade. :GoBulls:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm going to try one more time, if you don't get it, then I can't help you.

I'm saying a 40-50k seat stadium needs to be built. You'll EASILY get 10k students. It's an on campus event, and it feeds and grows. RJS is the antiseptic to the college football experience. It's unlikely that in a 40k seat stadium the student section would be 10k seats.

There are what..over 100k USF alumni in the area. You think they'd have a hard time filling out a stadium if built on campus? They don't come close to filling the lower bowl of RJS.  What makes you think they'd fill an OCS?

I'm not asking you to presuppose Custer didn't die at Little Big Horn. I'm only asking you to look beyond the death sentence that is RJS. I've stated several times that I would like an OCS, what I'm trying to explain to you is that one will not help our attendance issues.

Miami made it work with the Orange Bowl, because they were a massively popular college football powerhouse, and they filled that stadium with what, 95% of the people never even having remotely the qualifications to be accepted into U of M. UCLA makes it work at the Rose Bowl because they're freakin UCLA. 

You *need* an OCS to drive attendance. The building becomes part of the lore. The team being good helps of course, But the crowd helps the team win by giving it the HFA it needs when worthy opponents tread upon our campus' hallowed grounds. An OCS won't drive attendance, winning and only winning will

• Upvote 1

For the reasons I've already outlined for the antiseptic to the game day experience that is RJS, if you have a stadium on campus, the tickets will move. Tickets used to move when football was new for USF, and to a lesser extent they were d_amn good under Leavitt. However, once the ticket becomes 'easy to come by', as in walk up tickets are usually ALWAYS AVAILABLE, then there's no motivation to buy the ticket. With an OCS comes scarcity. Get your tickets now. Motivation. Do you really need help with such a fundamental economic principle? They're inextricably linked. The only way you'd not succeed with an OCS is if they built an 80k monstrosity. They don't even need a top bowl. Just a 40k lower bowl. Set the student section at a variable amount to encourage the students to get their tickets. 

The alumni aren't going to RJS because they may already go to RJS on Sundays. They'd be motivated to go on Saturday to revel in the game day experience.

You could not be further from the truth when you say 'winning, and only winning' drives attendance. Basic understanding of economics tells you that with scarcity comes demand. There is NO scarcity of tickets at RJS. 

Edited by keithroby
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

And my OCS #HotTake is netting me some negative points. Go figure.

I'm giving you green bumps bro!  OCS is a definite need ASAP.  HS seniors are making decisions on where they want to go to school partly based on the student lifestyles and having an OCS and being able to tailgate your butt off and walk back home is a big factor. 

• Upvote 1