• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I don't care what the scoreboard says...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Stats don't really tell the story in this game. Once Golson got going he was consistent and making throws to keep the chains moving. There is no rhythm and even less consistency in our passing game. Until the last drive when Flowers threw to Johnson in the middle, because the FSU secondary dropped deep into coverage, Flowers was 2 for his previous 11 passes. Other than the Johnson wheel route, did he hit any passes downfield? Consistency is needed.

Can't say for sure, but I would guess that this FSU offense is built around Cook so to say without him they would lose is true, but they do have him as their centerpiece so they expect to ride him to victory.

I will feel confident if we can get a full game out of the team like we saw in first half. The questions to ask are, did we really play well or was FSU just looking past us to their next game then woke up?

Ultimately it was a game of two halves. We got out butts kicked in the 2nd half. If we went in to halftime down 27-7 and played the 2nd half to a 7-7 tie and tough like we did in first half would you still feel like we played well?

For me, the defense gives us hope we are in the right direction. Offense is still a mystery.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

I'm still confused about the talk of the passing game. We knew from the beginning would kind of spread system this was going to be. A run type of spread, with screen passes. That is why Flowers is the starting QB. People actually think Bench would of done better? We have seen him play for 3 seasons. He has had a chance to start games and hasn't produced. Then he gets pulled and everyone complains about CWT switching QBs. Bench maybe more accurate then Flowers but he has no arm. Watch how much his throws flutter and lack of velocity he puts on them. He had one big gain from the TE last week that inflated his numbers. The same TE that just stood there and watched the FSU player make a pick. Say what you want about the throw but it was a jump ball that he didnt even try jumping for.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Completely absurd. Bench was promised playing time. and got zero.

Link/proof?

I actually recall a tweet from reporter Bench would get playing time in this game

Honestly that is just silly... No one, not even Flowers is "promised" playing time. Everything is a game time decision. I am sure Taggart expects Bench to see some action throughout the season. He has said from beginning the race was close and both guys will get to play. I felt there was an opportunity where Bench should have been brought in but I am not the head coach. Nothing was promised - it is all about who gives you the best chance to win!

Article from Thursday's Tampa Bay Times

USF backup QB Bench shows value

BY JOEY KNIGHT

Times Staff Writer

TAMPA - He might have lost the preseason quarterback derby, but Steven Bench has won enough admiration from his coaches to remain in the game-day rotation.

At least for another week.

On Wednesday, co-offensive coordinator David Reaves said Bench, who had arguably his best effort as a collegian (8-for-10, 140 yards, one touchdown, 15-yard touchdown run) in relief of Flowers on Saturday against Division I-AA Florida A& M, will play Saturday at No. 11 Florida State.

'I've seen the headlines, 'Flowers with three TDs,' '' Reaves said.

'Nobody's mentioning 8-for-10, two touchdowns (by Bench). He's come out here every single day like a true professional, has practiced hard every day, he's gotten himself ready. Obviously that showed on Saturday; he was sharp, and that's what I expect out of Steven Bench. I think he's always ready for us, and he's gonna play again Saturday.'

Sounds a bit like a promise to me.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm still confused about the talk of the passing game. We knew from the beginning would kind of spread system this was going to be. A run type of spread, with screen passes. That is why Flowers is the starting QB. People actually think Bench would of done better? We have seen him play for 3 seasons. He has had a chance to start games and hasn't produced. Then he gets pulled and everyone complains about CWT switching QBs. Bench maybe more accurate then Flowers but he has no arm. Watch how much his throws flutter and lack of velocity he puts on them. He had one big gain from the TE last week that inflated his numbers. The same TE that just stood there and watched the FSU player make a pick. Say what you want about the throw but it was a jump ball that he didnt even try jumping for.

Bench has no arm? Seriously?  LOL  Bench maybe can't throw it 50 yards, but he throws the 20 yard seam route with far more velocity than Flowers does.  The one 15 to 20 yard pass that Flowers was on target drifted so slowly that a defender go over to tip it before it got to the receiver.  

I could almost live with QF being the QB if we have a lead.  But once we went down more than 7 points in this game, there wasn't any way in the world Flowers was going to bring us back.  Bench should be in there at the very least when we are behind.  The receivers were open, the passes weren't there.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

Completely absurd. Bench was promised playing time. and got zero.

Link/proof?
I actually recall a tweet from reporter Bench would get playing time in this game

Honestly that is just silly... No one, not even Flowers is "promised" playing time. Everything is a game time decision. I am sure Taggart expects Bench to see some action throughout the season. He has said from beginning the race was close and both guys will get to play. I felt there was an opportunity where Bench should have been brought in but I am not the head coach. Nothing was promised - it is all about who gives you the best chance to win!

Article from Thursday's Tampa Bay Times

USF backup QB Bench shows value

BY JOEY KNIGHT

Times Staff Writer

TAMPA - He might have lost the preseason quarterback derby, but Steven Bench has won enough admiration from his coaches to remain in the game-day rotation.

At least for another week.

On Wednesday, co-offensive coordinator David Reaves said Bench, who had arguably his best effort as a collegian (8-for-10, 140 yards, one touchdown, 15-yard touchdown run) in relief of Flowers on Saturday against Division I-AA Florida A& M, will play Saturday at No. 11 Florida State.

'I've seen the headlines, 'Flowers with three TDs,' '' Reaves said.

'Nobody's mentioning 8-for-10, two touchdowns (by Bench). He's come out here every single day like a true professional, has practiced hard every day, he's gotten himself ready. Obviously that showed on Saturday; he was sharp, and that's what I expect out of Steven Bench. I think he's always ready for us, and he's gonna play again Saturday.'

Sounds a bit like a promise to me.

Not arguing the promise part, Ricky, but that's Reaves speaking, not Taggart. Edited by NCBull

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

If we consider it wasn't long ago we were like 4 games into the season and our offense had given more points to the other team that it was scoring. We are improved, but still a below average offensr.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

So what? Sometimes a game plan is made and changed. Bench is the BACK UP QB" he will get playing time when we are either getting blown out or are blowing someone away. Many on this board have complained about WT not sticking with one QB before. Bench wouldn't have made a difference in this game.

Get out of here with this rationality.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

What is with all the love for Bench? Remind me again how many games in the last 3 years he has won for us?? The more Flowers plays the better he will get. Bench is not the answer. I think people are just ready to pile on unless we go undefeated (and some would still complain then). This team clearly has a different attitude and look on the field. If we go 4-8'again I will say I'm wrong but I'm optimistic with what I have seen. I promise you though that if we get to 7 or 8 wins this year the haters will still hate. No moral victories today BUT I feel we are heading in the right direction.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

^ we don't have an intermediate passing game.

Touché

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I'm not quite as optimistic as others. We've had games like this before (Wisconsin & MSU) where we felt better about the rest of the season only to see a 2 and 4 win season.

The defense looked better but still gave up 266 yards to Cook with a lot of shotty arm tackling.

The offense is still boring and unimaginative only at a little faster pace and with Tags calling the plays. We have no threat of a passing attack to keep defenses honest. QF is no threat to pass and should not be a D1 QB.

I do agree that Maryland is a tell all game. If we don't win this game it will be a long season and we will probably have a new coach.