• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Herd of Thunder

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Not sure if this has already been discussed on here, but feel free to remove this thread if so. I like that the band is in the student section now, however, I thought it was dumb that the band was in the center of the student section right between the field goal posts. I just kept thinking to myself, what happens if late in a game or in OT the opposing team is driving into the student section. They line up for a game tying or winning FG and all their kicker sees is a quiet band right between the goal posts since the band can't play once play starts or is about to start, and how not intimidating that would be. I think you'd want some rabid fans between the uprights cheering and screening loud as can be to hopefully distract the kicker and throw him off. And even worse, if our opponent was driving that way before halftime... the band is out of those seats and lining up to perform, so the kicker's staring right into empty seats. I'd be thanking USF for that. Thoughts???

A completely different thought about the band not supposed to be playing when the play starts or is about to start. I could swear that the FAMU band was playing in the middle of plays on mor than one occasion.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

FAMU band did play on several occasions during play( I think when we were kicking a fg or extra point , and or punting).

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

Also seemed like the bands were playing over each other a lot at the beginning.

Could have sworn that some board member here posted back awhile the rules for engagement.

Anyway, maybe it was first game wrinkles that needed to be ironed out.

I do like the band in the end zone, though.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,643
  • Days Won:  424

Not sure if this has already been discussed on here, but feel free to remove this thread if so. I like that the band is in the student section now, however, I thought it was dumb that the band was in the center of the student section right between the field goal posts. I just kept thinking to myself, what happens if late in a game or in OT the opposing team is driving into the student section. They line up for a game tying or winning FG and all their kicker sees is a quiet band right between the goal posts since the band can't play once play starts or is about to start, and how not intimidating that would be. I think you'd want some rabid fans between the uprights cheering and screening loud as can be to hopefully distract the kicker and throw him off. And even worse, if our opponent was driving that way before halftime... the band is out of those seats and lining up to perform, so the kicker's staring right into empty seats. I'd be thanking USF for that. Thoughts???

A completely different thought about the band not supposed to be playing when the play starts or is about to start. I could swear that the FAMU band was playing in the middle of plays on mor than one occasion.

For some reason 15 seconds left on the play clock rings a bell as far as the etiquette goes .... and the problem for opposing bands is that most of our plays will hopefully going off before that.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Could have sworn that some board member here posted back awhile the rules for engagement.

When I was in HOT, the director, or designee, would get a headset that linked them to athletics programming. Basically, they would get a message that said "ok band play." Or "OK band stop"...exaggeration, but there was usually little notice.

I do not think a visiting band gets this link, or even a link to the home band to make sure there are no overlaps.

I'm not quoting any rules, but in general, a band or athletics dept. on the PA can play all they want on offense, but on defense I believe we can only play up until the huddle is broken. After that, silence until play is dead.

Pretty sure we got a warning from the ref in 05 or 06.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

My bigger problem is the word "Herd" that screams Marshall to me. Wish we would have come up with something else there.

Yeah and how our finger "horns" scream Texas Hook 'Em Horns...get over it. We're cattle..

I will not... Truth be told, the fingers are not my favorite either, not a fan of plagiarism in any form.

Saying we are cattle is not an excuse for a lack of creativity or research to see what other schools are already doing. Wait, are you the one that came up with the purple shirts for the ECU game? If so, your comment makes a little more sense.

Purple shirts?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

When I was in HOT, the director, or designee, would get a headset that linked them to athletics programming. Basically, they would get a message that said "ok band play." Or "OK band stop"...exaggeration, but there was usually little notice.

I do not think a visiting band gets this link, or even a link to the home band to make sure there are no overlaps.

I'm not quoting any rules, but in general, a band or athletics dept. on the PA can play all they want on offense, but on defense I believe we can only play up until the huddle is broken. After that, silence until play is dead.

Pretty sure we got a warning from the ref in 05 or 06.

Not 05 that I recall.

FAMU is famous for not giving a **** when they play!...any typical "rules" are out the window.  They've earned the right, I suppose...

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Band is right spot,  Other than the last few minutes of first half they are there, loud and into the game, unlike other student sections that seem to empty out starting the end of the 3rg qt to middle of the 4th.          I do wonder why they didn't have a Microphone this week,  they were not nearly as loud as the FAMU band.

FAMU clearly outplayed our much larger band, in terms of how much louder they were.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

My bigger problem is the word "Herd" that screams Marshall to me. Wish we would have come up with something else there.

Yeah and how our finger "horns" scream Texas Hook 'Em Horns...get over it. We're cattle..

I will not... Truth be told, the fingers are not my favorite either, not a fan of plagiarism in any form.

Saying we are cattle is not an excuse for a lack of creativity or research to see what other schools are already doing. Wait, are you the one that came up with the purple shirts for the ECU game? If so, your comment makes a little more sense.

Purple shirts?

Don't know the exact history of USF and "purple" but I believe purple was our founding color.  

Purple homecoming shirts were chosen for our homecoming game vs ECU last year.....until someone noticed AFTER the shirts were made that the colors were also the same school colors of ECU and what the visitors would be wearing. The mistake was rectified in USF fashion....by purchasing new shirts with our current colors... at an additional expense of course.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

This is closer to the truth than anything.