• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Herd of Thunder

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Friend and former band member said something to the effect that FAMU tuned themselves to play LOUD while USF tuned themselves to be in tune. I am no an audiophile so I don't have much input beyond that.

That is nonsensical gibberish. You can't tune instruments to be loud; just to be in tune. Actually, when a band is in tune it sounds louder, due to the physical characteristics of sound waves. What FAMU does is just play loud without regard for good tone. They sound terrible but huge so no one cares except band snobs.

Edit: what Zero said!...had that reply window open way too long!

FAMU's band is very flashy.  Very loud and very visual.  They get better as the year goes on (as most bands do) but the formula is the same.  Its a very show-y band by tradition.  What they gain in style, they lose in quality however.  They sacrifice dynamics for loud sound and when they perform on the field, audio tearing is an issue.  You could hear it in RayJ.  

HOT has a more quality approach.  They sacrifice loud brass sounds for a full range of instruments and dynamics.  Though the music is often simple, it sounds like the music.  Audio tearing is less prominent.  

All in all its something you see with a lot of bands.  A few bands can bridge the gap between quality playing and a loud, booming sound. 

Yes these guys said it better. as I said I am no audiophile lol. Thanks for the clarification, it sounds good. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

So then I guess the question remains: what is better, quality of sound or booming loudness? I'd vote for quality during halftime shows and performances, but loudness between plays and after scoring. Best of both worlds.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Im for Quality sound and having a microphone for them while in the stands. They can invest in a cpl portable speakers , place them in front of the band and amplify the sound  instead of blasting it thru the Stadium speakers like they do in DCI(Drum Corps International).  The DCI corps are half the size of the HOT and the sound is much louder.   (They play in Large stadiums as well , have their championships in Ga Dome, San Antonio, and Indy Colts stadium). (you can hear them in the top row of the stadium).

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

This is the heart of college band nerd arguments. There's a lot of esoteric complexity, but basically it boils down to show bands like FAMU being more appreciated by the audience, and corps/military-style bands like HOT and many others being more appreciated by the band members themselves. Both types of bands balance that out--it's never all audience or all bandos--but that's the general uptake.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I was once in the Herd many moons ago and I will say this. The old knock on "Show Bands" like FAMU of being out of tune or over playing their instruments is just that, old. They have come a long way from the screeching and squacking that's being referred to. Another difference in sound is due to auditions, people playing on their main instrument, and school of music cross over. 

Some of the numbers within the H.O.T. Band when I was there came from people who weren't the strongest of players but wanted to be there. There also were people who switched instruments because they wanted a different experience. i.e. Flute - Tuba on top of that strong musicians who were in the school of music would at times get frowned upon because of their involvement in the Marching band. Mix all of those things together and you can have a band of 250 with only 175 being able to play the horns properly. (Gross simplification) 

As opposed to FAM who has stronger ties between the school of music and the marching band. Which means their stronger players are also on the field. That's another difference in sound that I feel I can add to the conversation. Not taking anything away from the herd because I love them. I just wanted to paint a fuller picture.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

If it matters at all, coming from a dude that doesn't really know all this stuff (I haven't played a horn since middle school but I play a little bit of guitar and still take lessons), my opinion is that whatever they are doing at the basketball games with the pep band really makes the atmosphere awesome.  That gets me pumped up.  I don't know if it's the closed in area or small facility, but you can hear it clear and loud, and it is an integral part of the experience.  At the football field, it is part of the atmosphere, but the sound doesn't carry so well--I love HOT, and I'd really love it if they were louder in RJS.  Just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

If it matters at all, coming from a dude that doesn't really know all this stuff (I haven't played a horn since middle school but I play a little bit of guitar and still take lessons), my opinion is that whatever they are doing at the basketball games with the pep band really makes the atmosphere awesome.  That gets me pumped up.  I don't know if it's the closed in area or small facility, but you can hear it clear and loud, and it is an integral part of the experience.  At the football field, it is part of the atmosphere, but the sound doesn't carry so well--I love HOT, and I'd really love it if they were louder in RJS.  Just my opinion.

I remember they used to be. Or maybe it is because I have changed seats they don't seem as loud, but I agree it is a football game not a recording studio and I would like to FEEL it. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I was once in the Herd many moons ago and I will say this. The old knock on "Show Bands" like FAMU of being out of tune or over playing their instruments is just that, old. They have come a long way from the screeching and squacking that's being referred to. Another difference in sound is due to auditions, people playing on their main instrument, and school of music cross over. 

Some of the numbers within the H.O.T. Band when I was there came from people who weren't the strongest of players but wanted to be there. There also were people who switched instruments because they wanted a different experience. i.e. Flute - Tuba on top of that strong musicians who were in the school of music would at times get frowned upon because of their involvement in the Marching band. Mix all of those things together and you can have a band of 250 with only 175 being able to play the horns properly. (Gross simplification) 

As opposed to FAM who has stronger ties between the school of music and the marching band. Which means their stronger players are also on the field. That's another difference in sound that I feel I can add to the conversation. Not taking anything away from the herd because I love them. I just wanted to paint a fuller picture.

You are right.. before you could just show up and be just be OK and get in.

However, they changed that a few years ago.

Now you have to go through a more through audition process to be a part of the band.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

If you really want loud booming sound, we could always transition to a pure drum-and-bugle type band  :FIREdevil:

Some people don't like that though.

Put the mic on them in the stadium and make sure it syncs well.  Otherwise I suppose we live with it for now.