• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Herd of Thunder

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

My bigger problem is the word "Herd" that screams Marshall to me. Wish we would have come up with something else there.

Yeah and how our finger "horns" scream Texas Hook 'Em Horns...get over it. We're cattle..

I will not... Truth be told, the fingers are not my favorite either, not a fan of plagiarism in any form.

Saying we are cattle is not an excuse for a lack of creativity or research to see what other schools are already doing. Wait, are you the one that came up with the purple shirts for the ECU game? If so, your comment makes a little more sense.

Purple shirts?

Don't know the exact history of USF and "purple" but I believe purple was our founding color.  

Purple homecoming shirts were chosen for our homecoming game vs ECU last year.....until someone noticed AFTER the shirts were made that the colors were also the same school colors of ECU and what the visitors would be wearing. The mistake was rectified in USF fashion....by purchasing new shirts with our current colors... at an additional expense of course.

:facepalm:  Thanks for that reminder I had *almost* purged it.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

My bigger problem is the word "Herd" that screams Marshall to me. Wish we would have come up with something else there.

Yeah and how our finger "horns" scream Texas Hook 'Em Horns...get over it. We're cattle..

I will not... Truth be told, the fingers are not my favorite either, not a fan of plagiarism in any form.

Saying we are cattle is not an excuse for a lack of creativity or research to see what other schools are already doing. Wait, are you the one that came up with the purple shirts for the ECU game? If so, your comment makes a little more sense.

Purple shirts?

Don't know the exact history of USF and "purple" but I believe purple was our founding color.  

Purple homecoming shirts were chosen for our homecoming game vs ECU last year.....until someone noticed AFTER the shirts were made that the colors were also the same school colors of ECU and what the visitors would be wearing. The mistake was rectified in USF fashion....by purchasing new shirts with our current colors... at an additional expense of course.

:facepalm:  Thanks for that reminder I had *almost* purged it.

...and after a couple thousand were handed out, if I recall.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

Looks better on tv

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,637
  • Days Won:  3

Band is right spot, Other than the last few minutes of first half they are there, loud and into the game, unlike other student sections that seem to empty out starting the end of the 3rg qt to middle of the 4th. I do wonder why they didn't have a Microphone this week, they were not nearly as loud as the FAMU band.

FAMU clearly outplayed our much larger band, in terms of how much louder they were.

You sure about this? It has a lot to do with where you're sitting in respect to the band(s). In section 209 it might have seemed like FAMU was louder because they were pointed more toward us. If the Herd were still in the same section as last year I think it would have sounded louder for sure.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705

Friend and former band member said something to the effect that FAMU tuned themselves to play LOUD while USF tuned themselves to be in tune. I am no an audiophile so I don't have much input beyond that. 

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557

It's a function of tone, not tune.   You can play loud or you can play with good tone.  If you play with good tone and are "in tune" the sound will usually carry better.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Friend and former band member said something to the effect that FAMU tuned themselves to play LOUD while USF tuned themselves to be in tune. I am no an audiophile so I don't have much input beyond that.

That is nonsensical gibberish. You can't tune instruments to be loud; just to be in tune. Actually, when a band is in tune it sounds louder, due to the physical characteristics of sound waves. What FAMU does is just play loud without regard for good tone. They sound terrible but huge so no one cares except band snobs.

Edit: what Zero said!...had that reply window open way too long!

Edited by NCBull

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

FAMU's band is very flashy.  Very loud and very visual.  They get better as the year goes on (as most bands do) but the formula is the same.  Its a very show-y band by tradition.  What they gain in style, they lose in quality however.  They sacrifice dynamics for loud sound and when they perform on the field, audio tearing is an issue.  You could hear it in RayJ.  

HOT has a more quality approach.  They sacrifice loud brass sounds for a full range of instruments and dynamics.  Though the music is often simple, it sounds like the music.  Audio tearing is less prominent.  

All in all its something you see with a lot of bands.  A few bands can bridge the gap between quality playing and a loud, booming sound. 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Agree HOT is far superior in terms of quality.   More Sound doesn't equate to being good.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

One person who was on the band told me.... there are no rules.