• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why go to Bench so early?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I don't think you're down if the ball touches the ground (it did, on QF's TD scramble), if that's what you mean.

Dang, made me look that up and the rules seem to agree with you:

ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle

or declare it dead: . . .

. . . b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches

the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses

possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his

body, except his hand or foot. (Exception: The ball remains alive when

an offensive player has simulated a kick or is in position to kick the ball

held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or

advanced by rule)

I barked about that during the game, thought he was down too. Glad to be wrong!

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. That situation, with no other part of his body touching the ground, is really like a controlled fumble.

yeah same here. I was actually thinking like a reception, where you can't use the ground to help establish control if juggling. This was not that, and it does make sense.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Some of you guys are funny, you'll find something to moan and whine about no matter what.  When we had BJ, you complained about him not having any touch on passes and gunning it when it wasn't needed.  Now we have a QB who "floats" it too much and needs to gun it to wide open receivers.  

So so true.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I thought Bench looked great. Flowers was okay. The team won by a lot and both QBs got lots of reps. Could not do it much better imo.

Agreed

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Why are you guys talking about football instead of Yborgate?

Saturday can't get here fast enough.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Bench needed the time on the field, so he can rescue us next week after QF plays the first half.   :FIREdevil:

I'm hoping not, but that's what I was thinking.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

Bench > Flowers

Flowers might do better in practice, but Bench is a gamer when it counts. Also, not liking the size of Flowers. Dude isn't even close to being able to see over OL. Sure he can escape pocket, but teams will force him to stay inside and rack up sacks and INT's. Flowers is certainly a better athlete though. Very versatile player.

If Flowers has any aspirations of getting to the next level (NFL) he would be wise to switch positions.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Bench > Flowers

Flowers might do better in practice, but Bench is a gamer when it counts. Also, not liking the size of Flowers. Dude isn't even close to being able to see over OL. Sure he can escape pocket, but teams will force him to stay inside and rack up sacks and INT's. Flowers is certainly a better athlete though. Very versatile player.

If Flowers has any aspirations of getting to the next level (NFL) he would be wise to switch positions.

Or he can focus on proving people like yourself wrong. Just like BJ did while he was here. He can switch after he's drafted if need be. We aren't Ohio with 3 amazing quarterbacks... If not him then who takes over if Bench got hurt? Heaven forbid they're both injured...

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Bench > Flowers

Or he can focus on proving people like yourself wrong. Just like BJ did while he was here. He can switch after he's drafted if need be. We aren't Ohio with 3 amazing quarterbacks... If not him then who takes over if Bench got hurt? Heaven forbid they're both injured...

BJ is a great example of how many "expert fans" thought he should play WR or RB.  Yet, here he is, on one of the best teams, as QB.  I know they tried him at WR, and he did well, but he played QB in the last game, and is still on the 53 man roster, last I checked.  He may be firming as the #3 (or even 2) QB.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Bench > Flowers

BJ is a great example of how many "expert fans" thought he should play WR or RB.  Yet, here he is, on one of the best teams, as QB.  I know they tried him at WR, and he did well, but he played QB in the last game, and is still on the 53 man roster, last I checked.  He may be firming as the #3 (or even 2) QB.  

BJ isn't in the NFL because he is a good QB. He's there because he is a swiss army knife and can play WR, RB, QB, while doing PR and KR as well. He's versatile which smart coaches in the NFL look for. 

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Bench > Flowers

BJ isn't in the NFL because he is a good QB. He's there because he is a swiss army knife and can play WR, RB, QB, while doing PR and KR as well. He's versatile which smart coaches in the NFL look for. 

Wasn't the case initially and he is still listed as a QB but agree that he is on the current active roster b/c of his athleticism and versatility